900 students with 13 minutes to run for higher ground, and they all made it. Or, really, less than 13 minutes, because Dawadi had needed to understand the warning, decide how seriously to take it, and convey the plan to all of the students, and the students needed to hear and understand and launch themselves into that run. Perhaps that could all be done in less than a minute. I don't know.
31 अगस्त 2026
"He told all the children who were present — about 900 of the school’s total 1,643 students — to run to higher ground."
"Only older pupils, ages 11 to 18, were at school when the floods hit.... 'They were old enough to run immediately... It would not have been possible to save everyone, had kindergarten and primary school students also been there. 'Pupils who had arrived at the school earlier by bus were told to get back on them, and Mr. Dawadi instructed the drivers to leave the area as quickly as possible. 'A couple of students became traumatized and fainted,' Mr. Dawadi said, adding that those children were transported to safety on teachers’ motorbikes. 'I thought that even if the warning turned out to be wrong, the worst it would cost us was one day of study,' Mr. Dawadi said.... Around 9:23 a.m., about 13 minutes after Mr. Dawadi heard the first warning, a deluge of water, mud and debris swept through the area. The school was destroyed in seconds...."

35 टिप्पणियां:
“900 students with 13 minutes to run for higher ground, and they all made it.”
Fortunately, Nepal has plenty of higher ground.
From the comments, "A small good story in the middle of the larger disaster. It should really mention that human emissions of carbon and methane have melted the glaciers in the Himalaya and directly caused this disaster. Climate change is real. Is the cause and it should have been mentioned."
This is objectively wrong. What really happened was that the *bedrock* beneath the Yalta Glacier collapsed. But that will not be reported as it doesn't help the Left's narrative.
In the videos I watched I saw a lot of people running parallel to the river, instead of perpendicular towards the higher ground.
Great story, miraculous save.
Anything to the talk that it was Red China's construction of a hydroelectric facility near the site that actually caused the glacier to crack and slide? An item on Instapundit says it.
Forget teacher of the year. That gentleman’s gonna to be teacher of their lifetime for those saved kids. Rather literally.
Speculation: Did upstream Chinese dams or mega-infrastructure projects cause this?
"So it turns out China was building a hydro electric facility by a glacier and all the construction caused a portion of the glacier to collapse, tumble down, and turn into a mudslide that killed like 2,500 Nepalese people. … But all you will hear about in the news is leftists claiming this was because of climate change"
I asked AI if this was true (I know, I know) and got this:
"Yes—if you mean the Yarlung Tsangpo landslide story, China was developing the massive Motuo hydropower project in Tibet near the landslide-prone Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon. The project involves a series of dams, and scientists have warned that earthquakes and unstable slopes could trigger landslides around the reservoir."
Sorry for the formatting error, but the link still works.
Higher Ground. Oh, great, now I have a Stevie Wonder earworm.
From what I’ve been reading, it looks more like China’s work was not the cause, but may well have exacerbated the situation. I’d bet that, as in most disasters, we won’t really know for quite some time the true situation. Too much chaos for now, and attending to the humanitarian part is more the immediate priority. Shorter: wait and see.
“ Anything to the talk that it was Red China's construction of a hydroelectric facility near the site that actually caused the glacier to crack and slide? An item on Instapundit says it.”
I would discount that story, the failure site was about one mile wide and at 15,000 feet in a national park. The detachment occurred in Nepal. The slope was high, 40 to 60 degrees, the failure appears to be in bedrock underneath the glacier with no Debonding between the ice and rock, so just a regular rock slope failure loaded by the ice. It happens regularly over the world but here it flooded a river affecting people. There were many hydro plants downstream that were destroyed, but they did not cause anything. The above from reported initial analyses of air photos.
Stevie Wonder wrote a song about it...
and here here it goes.
Are you ready? (yeah)
Can we do this? (yeah)
Here we go
Battete le mani con me
Battete le mani con me
Everybody clap your hands
People keep on learnin'
Soldiers keep on warnin'
World keep on turnin'
'Cause it won't be too long
Powers keep on lyin', yeah
While your people keep on dyin'
World keep on turnin'
'Cause it won't be too long
Oh, no
I'm so darn glad He let me try it again
'Cause my last time on earth, I lived a whole world of sin
I'm so glad that I know more than I knew then
Gonna keep on tryin'
'Til I reach my highest ground
Lovers keep on lovin'
Believers keep on believin', um yeah
Sleepers just stop sleepin'
'Cause it won't be too long, oh, yeah, yeah
Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm so darn glad He let me try it again
'Cause my last time on earth, I lived a whole world of sin
I'm so glad that I know more than I knew then
Gonna keep on tryin'
'Til I reach my highest ground, whoo
'Til I reach my higher ground, oh no
No one's gonna bring me down
They're sure gonna try
I'm gonna go higher (higher)
It's not greenhouse gases, it's easily scrubbed industrial particulates from India and China mixed making all of our cheap shit we Hoover up on Amazon.
****Yes, Himalayan glaciers have been heavily coated with industrial and agricultural particulates originating primarily from India and China.Atmospheric scientists refer to this region as the "Third Pole". It sits directly downwind from the Indo-Gangetic Plain and heavily industrialized zones. Wind currents carry a thick blanket of pollution known as Atmospheric Brown Clouds (ABCs) up the mountain slopes, where the particulates settle onto the snow and ice.The Primary ContaminantsThe coating on the glaciers consists of several distinct types of human-made particles:
Black Carbon (Soot): This is the most critical and damaging component. It is generated by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels (like diesel vehicles and coal-fired plants) and biomass (such as agricultural stubble burning and traditional cooking stoves) across India and China.
Industrial Heavy Metals: Ice cores drilled from high-altitude glaciers, such as the Dasuopu glacier, have revealed traces of toxic metals like zinc, lead, and mercury.
Polluted Dust: Windblown desert dust mixes with industrial sulfur and nitrogen emissions in the lowlands before depositing on the glaciers, creating a highly accelerated warming effect.****
Not if a woman was the leader...
You are not trained to think, choose wisely and give orders quickly.
In the time it took you to type out what you think ypu would be thinking, a leader would have reacted in real time. You're only alive because of your wealth, not your survival instincts.
And meade would only slow you down if you needed to save yourself quickly...
…is it an actual revival of the climate change scam or is it the residual of the brainwashing from last time?
The Motuo/Yarlung Tsangpo dam that the Chinese are building in Tibet is 600 miles from the Nepal failure site and is in a different drainage basin. It has been criticized as a hazardous project and may cause some future collapse but there is no reported damage there and it’s pretty unlikely to have caused this at all.
I hear the flash floods were caused by bat soup in a wet market. Ah, wait, no, that was the other Chinese caused disaster.
when will the story of the Dam meant for power that was being built and was most likely the cause of the land slide - not climate change and melting? Never nobody tells on China's errors.
I've watched the footage several times.
Hard to watch. Also, it looks like a Japanese godzilla movie.
Good on the principal for getting everyone out. That's what he is supposed to do.
The person in charge, particularly of children, is expected to put some thought into foreseeable disasters. When that doesn't happen, it's more dangerous for everyone. That flash flood last year at the Texas summer camp is a recent example.
Even if you got a warning that a flash flood was coming, very few people would imagine something like that. It was gargantuan. I bet a lot of people evacuated but didn't go high enough, because who would expect that monster?
If you live and build in a steep cut ravine, you have to ask, what made that cut in the rock? If the factors needed are still present, like lots of water or ice positioned high above your location in an earthquake zone, you are really gambling.
Randomizer--the key word is "foreseeable."
That camp in Texas had been in place for 99 years before that flood.
Flood in the Grand Canyon today, 1 dead, 15 missing
What gigantic missed opportunity not to include a "before" shot of where the school was situated.
Those kids in Nepal passed the wolves in Costco test. Congrats to all of them. Principal is a hero.
brad said...
"when will the story of the Dam meant for power that was being built and was most likely the cause of the land slide - not climate change and melting? Never nobody tells on China's errors."
Total BS.
I have of course seen the videos. I may have perished in this unless I started moving immediately. I don't move fast anymore, even in the face of death. I'm definitely the slow person you want to hike with in bear country.
Kudos to the principal for clear thinking.
"In the videos I watched I saw a lot of people running parallel to the river, instead of perpendicular towards the higher ground."
I noticed that, too, and was thinking "If you think a flood's coming, why wouldn't you be trying to gain elevation as quickly as you could?"
A lot of the disaster videos show people turning around and watching, thinking that they are already on safe ground. The flood was so fast that it probably wasn't even comprehensible by the approaching roar - once you heard that, it was already too late. The teacher is a hero, for realizing instantly that it was time to act, not stand and wait to evaluate. Blessings on him.
The article doesn't explain how he was able to tell 900 very young students to leave immediately and get to high ground, and all of them complied. Was there some sort of regular emergency drill training? It seems highly unlikely that he could perceive the extent of the flooding, react, convey the full measure of danger to all of the children, and get them to move properly that quickly. And the teachers must have understood it as well.
Obviously he and his teachers did the right thing, but the odd absence of detail is puzzling (and sadly typical).
I see that the children were 11 to 18, so a little older. But teenagers.
Good story about a dude with common sense who knows his priorities.
Doubt they have many obese kids in Nepal. Good that they could scramble up the slope to get to safety. I would have commanded they "Go like monkeys!" but don't know how to say that in Nepalese.
bagoh20: "very few people would imagine something like that. It was gargantuan."
I get that a lot. CC, JSM
Barry Sanders: "I would have commanded they "Go like monkeys!""
It was until recently the Hindu Kingdom of Nepal. So they do believe in Hanuman the Prodigious Leaper (not the commenter). They would have his example engrained in their minds. CC, JSM
एक टिप्पणी भेजें
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.