3 ઑગસ્ટ, 2026

"A statue of a dancing woman captures the light, happy spirit of Dagmar in SoHo, a dispensary designed to appeal to sophisticated women."

From "The Quirky, Luxurious and Stylish Cannabis Dispensaries of New York/In a crowded field of legal sellers, stores in New York City are leaning into looks and vibes to find their customers" (NYT gift link)(lots of photos of store fronts and interiors).

Top-rated comment: "Sorry, but I still support my local dealer, who risked arrest, supplying me with pot for 50 years and still delivers."

51 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

Interested Bystander કહ્યું...

I don't know about New York but California has made it so hard for the legal dispensaries to make a buck they're all struggling. Only a Leftist government could fuck up a dope dealing business.

Enigma કહ્યું...

The left's vice policy ratcheting around in a circle is mind-bending: The anti-drunk driving and anti-secondhand smoke efforts of the 1980s and 1990s gave way to...incoherent hippie, college, and black vote buying...

Note the "Virginia Slims" brand of cigarettes was pushed
to women for weight control before the Clinton-era left led to the end of Joe Camel ads.

A stopped clock, and random urban left policies, are "correct" twice a day.

s'opihjerdt કહ્યું...

Is this about the 1950s well endowed actress comedienne that the chromework on various 1950s cars and trucks is named after?

n.n કહ્યું...

Light, happy spirit or a gay old time... less the hallucinogenics.

Iman કહ્યું...

She’s Cannabisus, Goddess of Dorito…

Iman કહ્યું...

RIP Big Puss.

Aggie કહ્યું...

Cripes, the overheads of these heads. What kinds of prices are they charging, for such Über-curation? Whatever it is, judging by the other NYT articles about NYC women, they'll come in dissatisfied and they'll leave, dissatisfied.

AnotherJim કહ્યું...

Those are some cool-looking places. Do they all reek like pot?

RideSpaceMountain કહ્યું...

You're not really bougie until your vibe-weed-boutique bougie. Maybe Mamdani could levy a pied-a-twit tax on these trendy trustafarians.

J Scott કહ્યું...

It is confusing, but then Enigma probably has it right, the Democrats started slicing the electorate into smaller pieces for voting reasons and the incoherency makes sense in that context.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

Pot is a major growth business!

If smoking cigarettes was so bad, then why is smoking pot acceptable?

Why do the Dems insist on getting intoxicated? Is it because they hate their meaningless lives?

But, hey, more revenue for state government which is - after all - the most important priority for the Dems.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

One of my main objections to pot (other than the smoke) is that it has no nutritional value. Compare that to wine, beer or spirits.

For the potheads, they might as well shoot up with heroin or coke. Same deal.

There's nothing like a great Cab that is paired with a Nebraska steak. It tastes great and I get nutrition from the wine.

tcrosse કહ્યું...

Dagmar, played by Robin Morgan, was the daughter on the TV show Mama back in the very early 1950s.

Not an oldster. કહ્યું...

Your local dealer is likely cheaper too and doesn't spray so many chemicals on his plants...

Wa St Blogger કહ્યું...

"Sorry, but I still support my local dealer, who risked arrest, supplying me with pot for 50 years and still delivers."

Plus no taxes. I won't have to support those pot-head, hippy types living off the dole....

Known Unknown કહ્યું...

Imagine being a pot dealer for 5 decades.

rehajm કહ્યું...

Imagine being a pot consumer for 5 decades.

Howard કહ્યું...

Sophisticated means easily gaslit.
I Saw You Coming, Harry Enfield

rhhardin કહ્યું...

Dancing women are signs, the referent concealed. A statue is a sign of a sign.

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

I dated a woman from Hunt's Point, near Fulton Fish Market, who smoked. Her guy delivered day or night, in all weather, including all holidays. So, I can see how that loyalty would run deep. I could see that guy covering for her, if she told him she needed a hatbox of appropriate size.

P.S. It's Monday; not a good day to have the fish.

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

Upon further review, ai : "Today, that advice is largely outdated. Anthony Bourdain himself retracted the warning in 2016, saying modern supply chains, daily deliveries, and higher food standards mean restaurants and markets can now offer fresh fish every day of the week."

Howard કહ્યું...

Dave, your a retarded sod. Alcohol is bad because of the nutrition and how it's processed and the cascade of poisons that it's metabolized into. Pot is bad for other reasons, mainly psychological and cardiac.

cacimbo કહ્યું...

The comment shows the age of NYT readers and commenters. The dispensaries are looking to lure in those who were not even born when commenter Manhattanite started smoking. Cannabis users who they hope will become their customers for 50 years.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

When Althouse, Meade and I are enjoying a fine bottle of Cab at the Drover in Omaha, we'll toast to you.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

Another lib called me "retarded." He said it at an Omaha Public Power District because I don't agree with Net Zero.

Not nice to talk that way. I called him out too.

You libs need to have some empathy for the less fortunate.

Clyde કહ્યું...

I'm apparently out of the loop these days. The article referenced stuff that I had no clue about until I did a search. Upcycling? Lucian? The latter I still had no idea after searching, until I read that the proprietress was from Saint Lucia. I liked the merch hung on hangers with handcuffs at the top. The shirt with the marijuana leaf motif seemed passé, but the one with the cartoon topless woman appealed to me, for some reason.

Clyde કહ્યું...

Added: The topless woman design turns out to be a mermaid, with a marijuana-leaf shaped tail, on the back of a varsity jacket with a dark background (Navy? Black?) and green sleeves. It'll run you $200.

Clyde કહ્યું...

You can see it here:
https://conbud.com/stores/conbud-les/product/clayton-x-conbud-mermaid-varsity-jacket-xl

Crimso કહ્યું...

"and still delivers."

Many years ago I asked a coworker about a marijuana delivery she was expecting. She said "He's leaving it in my mailbox." I was stunned. How stupid! Regardless of any Federal implications, it was stupid anyway. What if the mailman-"The mailman is my dealer."

Not an oldster. કહ્યું...

Begs, ann and meade...
Polygamous excitement!
Do blog it, ann?

Quaestor કહ્યું...

Frequenting a pot shop is the antithesis of sophistication.

Quaestor કહ્યું...

And nothing is more risible than an urban Daisy Mae who thinks she’s a sophisticate.

Mary Beth કહ્યું...

My vibe is low overhead so there's no unnecessary inflation of prices. I question the product if they have to have "Instagramable" areas to attract customers.

FullMoon કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

smoking dope is not glamourous. It stinks and it ruins your brain. Do what you want.

There's a marijuana shop just down the street from where I live - east of B-town. Used to be called one name. It went under. Now I see a new sign is up and sure enough - it's all zen like / yoga pants and sophisticated. Good luck.

FullMoon કહ્યું...

Gemini experts say:
"Alcohol is significantly more linked to violent crime than marijuana, with federal data attributing an estimated 25% to 40% of all violent crimes in the United States to alcohol use. By contrast, the federal government does not specifically track violent crimes linked to marijuana use because clinical and epidemiological studies show that cannabis intoxication generally reduces, rather than increases, the likelihood of aggressive behavior."

rehajm કહ્યું...

…so if the federal government isn’t tracking violent crimes linked to marijuana how does it know alcohol is significantly more linked to violent crime? Guessin’ I’m guessing…

john mosby કહ્યું...

The building I live in is a co-op. We recently went smoke-free. Including vapes, which I thought don't put out smoke. And apparently including medical MJ, although I could never get a straight yes/no answer on that one. As a minimum, if you 'need' to smoke medical MJ, you will have to explain yourself to the Board. And if our Tardis-like ventilation system carries your smoke to someone with their own breathing problems, survival of the (un)fittest will ensue?

But anyway, I am glad that my neighbors, unlike so many other public and private institutions, say smoke is smoke. CC, JSM

rehajm કહ્યું...

…according to my expert study from me of one former employee, smoking weed out in front of the office building around lunch time significantly reduces productivity in the afternoon…

FullMoon કહ્યું...

Medical MJ was a foot in the door thing. Kinda like gay marriage.

rehajm કહ્યું...

..:if you wanna try to be the Erewhon of weed go for it…

Howard કહ્યું...

Roughnecks I worked with in the early 80's before widespread drug testing would regularly spark up doobies during their tours. They did not, however, tolerate alcohol use on location. The reason that I was told was alcohol makes you careless and risky while the killer green bud made you paranoid, which was safer. Maybe it has something to do with violent crime instigation as well.

Political Junkie કહ્યું...

Other than people in serious pain, I say stay away from ganja.

Butkus51 કહ્યું...

drug dealers delivering

smart move

what could go wrong?

bagoh20 કહ્યું...

"Sophisticated women" sounds like a marketing idea rather than a real thing. It doesn't even sound fun. Unsophisticated women - now were talking real a real party.

boatbuilder કહ્યું...

I don't think that anyone who shops at any of those places is either going to commit any violent crimes or become a burden on the public. Nor, given the prices, are they likely to be heavy dopers. The real smokers have more direct and much cheaper sources. And I suspect that the total annual weed volume from all of those places combined is a tiny fraction of what is sold weekly through discreet, unlicensed local suppliers.

Heartless Aztec કહ્યું...

Put myself through college selling three finger "lids" of Columbian Gold. 50+ years ago now.

Michael McNeil કહ્યું...

“Imagine being a pot consumer for 5 decades.”

I can imagine it.

Old and slow કહ્યું...

Much like the brewer, the baker and the butcher, her local dealer did not supply her with cannabis because of his benevolent nature.

Rustygrommet કહ્યું...

I used to fire guys who were chronic......................chronic users. Can't have that around machinery.

JAORE કહ્યું...

So the low rent shops are struggling. Even those with decent lighting, are kept clean and has a salesperson that is attentive? Even at low cost? Even with the very same product? OK then..

And the solution? Find a shop with a higher priced (rent) location. Pay to have an upscale decor. Hire "appropriate" employees, undoubtedly at higher wages and greater in numbers to serve those that demand to be served.
Sure there are rich people that seemingly would spend substantially more for ambiance... But these are not Gucci bags. It's pot.
El Predicto sez: Many of these shops will be gone fairly soon.

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.