29 జులై, 2026

"What was it like walking right up to the dead, dissected bodies? For me, it was not disturbing."

"The bodies were amazing -- beautiful. You can look into a real human body and see the details of the organs --not bloody and pulsating -- but perfectly preserved. You know nothing about each individual -- who he was, how he died. But there he is, more fully exposed than a nude, for you to walk right up to and inspect. See those testicles, elegantly suspended on long ligaments?"

I wrote, in May 2005, in "Among the cadavers." I'd just seen the "Body Worlds 2" exhibit at the Great Lakes Science Center, which is right next to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

I'm looking back at that post this morning because I see "Gunther von Hagens, Creator of Polarizing ‘Body Worlds’ Exhibits, Dies at 81/A German scientist, he developed a process for turning corpses into posable figures. His shows drew millions of visitors, and many detractors" (NYT gift link).

Excerpt from the obituary: "Many religious leaders objected... especially in Germany.... '"Body Worlds" is possibly the logical conclusion of Nazi crimes,' Andreas Nachama, a rabbi and civic leader in Berlin, told The Independent in 2001, 'when millions of bodies were burnt by their murderers into cinders or transformed into soap, and their skin into lampshades.' [Von Hagens] also faced accusations of accepting bodies of executed prisoners from China, though there was no evidence he knew the source...."

15 కామెంట్‌లు:

Disparity of Cult చెప్పారు...

The HypeMachine™ works Soylent Green.

Dave Begley చెప్పారు...

Hope old Gunther enjoys his time in Hell.

Josephbleau చెప్పారు...

I saw the exhibit and the one that got me was the body of a pregnant woman with a baby, cut open and exposed. Not for everyone but Medical students have gross anatomy lab where they cut people open and remove their organs. So I looked at it as a traditional educational experience, but for some it could be a damaging exposure to things a nice person should not really see.

Leland చెప్పారు...

For me, the exhibit is a way to encourage scientific interest in medicine.

Lucien చెప్పారు...

If cadavers upset one, then one should eschew cadaver exhibits.

Howard చెప్పారు...
ఈ కామెంట్‌ను రచయిత తీసివేశారు.
Aggie చెప్పారు...

I saw one of these types of exhibits the last time I was in NYC, which was quite a while ago, more than 10 years. It included a horse. It didn't do much for me, I find Leonardo's sketches of anatomy and musculature more satisfying. The gruesomeness of the thing, it's off-putting, displacing curiosity for the most part.

Howard చెప్పారు...

In the '90s and early 2000s, cadavers were gleaned from sources in Russia and China. I think they have a different definition of volunteering in those countries. Anywho, when some reporters started digging around in 2004 and claimed some of the cadavers were executed prisoners, new methods for obtaining the bodies was instituted.

When Goonter was asked about the nefarious sourcing of the cadavers, he responded: "I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!"

RideSpaceMountain చెప్పారు...

Will he become a plastinate himself? I'd heard that was among his wishes.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ చెప్పారు...

Back in 2009, we took our two kids to the San Diego Natural History Museum to see the Body Worlds exhibit. They were absolutely hooked, so we ended up going again in 2022 at the Science Museum of Minnesota. Funny enough, our daughter is now a CRNA and our son is in his residency program.

Lazarus చెప్పారు...

Body Worlds was a big deal in the German media in those days back when you could read anything on the internet without paying for it. I wonder if he got the idea from the dead shark in formaldehyde that was a big deal in the British press a few years earlier.

tommyesq చెప్పారు...

If he was doing this without knowing the sourcing of the cadavers, he seems like a ghoul.

MadTownGuy చెప్పారు...

There was a similar but not quite as graphic exhibit at Chicago's Griffin Museum, in which microplaned cross sections of cadavers were preserved between glass panels to show the internal anatomy. It was both fascinating and creepy.

n.n చెప్పారు...

A technical term of art has Diverse precedents.

Narr చెప్పారు...

Sounds a bit like the Mutter Museum in Philly.

I found the overlays of human anatomy in the World Book interesting when I was a kid, but I'm too squeamish for actual bodies.

కామెంట్‌ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.