Was he just supposed to take up where he left off before he was so rudely interrupted?
"I could never [do] the speech that I had ready just a short while [ago]. Oh, that was going to be a doozy. I was so psyched. I was going to rip people and I don't know, just something changed and it's really for the better. But I just wouldn't want to do that. But we'll do a little ripping if you don't mind...."
ADDED: I just listened to the whole "little ripping." He told a lot of bad jokes, often stopping to ask "who wrote this?" Sample bad joke: "I thought Kaitlan [Collins] had really made it big with a major new sponsorship, but then I [was informed] that it wasn't her on the Bud Light can. It was Dylan Mulvaney."
Then there's the joke he said he thought was the best one: "The other day, a senator I knew got a text, a great guy, from his wife, and she said, 'When you get home, I want to have you immediately come up the stairs and make love to me.' And he said, 'I can't do both.'" He had to say, "Does anybody get that?" And then: "That was actually the only thing I thought was good in this whole freaking stupid speech that they wrote." They wrote. Don't blame him. He's trying to use the old Johnny Carson method of improvising jokes about how the monologue is failing.
I see he took the same position I took on Graham Platner: "I think Platner might have done surprisingly well because we're in the age of Trump.... People can do well today. Platner, I don't know. But, you know, people don't have the guts to stick it out.... He certainly didn't defend himself very well...."
And here's the joke I thought was the best: "Under my administration, a once-feared and powerful regime that relentlessly attacked America has finally been toppled. Their former leaders have been removed and they're now being run by a gay dictator facing internal divisions. But I for one wish Bari Weiss all the best at CBS News. She's a wonderful woman."
AND: Near the end, he offers "somewhat of a scoop": "My intention to run for a fourth term as President of the United States." He puts on a red "Trump 2028" cap. It's a double joke — that he's running beyond the constitutional term limit and that he's already won more than twice — and he leans into it, to make sure they get it: "I won three times. Now I'm going to do it again.... I'm going to do it again. It should be easy. I'm getting very good at running for President. No, I won three times. Did very well the second time, by the way. It's a rigged election...."

44 కామెంట్లు:
When the Gutfeld! show was still funny they had an occasional feature introduced with video of Trump and the tagline “We don’t deserve him.” To me that might mean he’s outperforming our expectations. To others it may spur a reaction like “Damn straight we deserve better!”
So “we don’t deserve him” could be a unifying statement. We can agree on the message even if we interpret the **why** we don’t deserve him differently.
Yes, “gay dictator facing internal divisions” is a great lead-in to the punchline.
Lol
"Gay-allied dictator facing internal divisions" would make a great masthead motto. CC, JSM
I would prefer he not explain his jokes. Just move on to the next one.
Admittedly, his speech was a trainwreck. But from the reaction of the folks on MSNBC afterward you'd have thought some mass casualty event had occurred. Lighten up, people!
Gay Dictator Facing Internal Divisions would be a great name for a punk band. They could open for Psychotic Apes with Godlike Powers. CC, JSM
Anyone catch the mentalist dude's act? That was impressive.
In all seriousness, the Bari Weiss joke is a cultural milestone. It is the first gay joke told by a President that isn't about the gayness. The gay part is just a detail, like hair color or height. He's not making fun of Bari or her gayness. In fact, she's the heroine of the joke.
Very difficult line to tread. No one else even goes near it. Once again, Trump advances our culture. Most gay-friendly president ever. CC, JSM
Jokes need structure and punctuation. He tried to do stand up within the “weave.”
Whatever magic Trump once had as a public speaker to non-cult audiences is long gone. In the 2015-2016 campaign he had some genuinely inspired moments and at times could be funny in his catty, mean-spirited way. Ten years later he looks awful and he has really lost his mojo. Washed up.
The Katlin Collins joke was pretty good.
We need to tale Grampa's keys away from him.
D.D. Driver said...
"We need to tale Grampa's keys away from him."
You're one presidency too late.
Good ol' Trump - our funniest POTUS, next to Reagan.
I'm glad Trump was disappointed in Platner just giving up. So was I. Democrats don't seem to have any guts.
"Sample bad joke: "I thought Kaitlan [Collins] had really made it big with a major new sponsorship, but then I [was informed] that it wasn't her on the Bud Light can. It was Dylan Mulvaney.""
I don't keep track of news anchors these days, so I had to Google Kaitlin Collins to see who she was. The resemblance to Dylan Mulvaney is pretty apparent. It was a mean joke, but not a bad joke.
D.D. Driver said...
"We need to tale Grampa's keys away from him."
You're one presidency too late.
Do you understand how this works? It can be both men. Remember how stupid Biden supporters looked when it was obvious to all of us how badly Biden's cognitive abilities had declined? That's how you look right now.
Trump has been caught doing too many "wandering off to look at the parachutes" moments to even count. This speech was pathetic and embarrassing. If you defend it you really look like a loser. You might as well become a democrat at this point. Sad.
DD ..,..
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
I think the jokes were written by a professional comedian. The jokes were built like tiny surprises and, at least, half a dozen or so landed. Not bad at all...
It was a bit easier for Trump because he has become an outcast. He's been (severely) abused for years by loud, confident and attractive journalists at major networks. These people are the popular kids and sticking it to them triggers an intense, almost visceral reaction in Trump's audience. Everybody, secretly at least, hates these people because they dominate conversations and seem to float through life. Seriously, how does Don Lemon land on his feet?
Jokes need structure and punctuation. He tried to do stand up within the “weave.”
This is exactly what happened, you can see the jokes in the speech.
Here is what I think the joke was:
"For our next White House MMA event, the main event will be Chris Christy fighting JB Pritzker over a piece of cheesecake."
Boom. A one liner. Not super hilarious but it scans as a joke. Now cringe your way through the "weave" version.
I'm the expert "partisan twat" translator.
"He's not too old, he's doing the weave!" = "Joe Biden has a stutter not dementia."
Carry on, my wayward twats.
A good example of what I'm talking about:
"I thought Kaitlan [Collins] had really made it big with a major new sponsorship, but then I [was informed] that it wasn't her on the Bud Light can. It was Dylan Mulvaney."
The "Bud Light can" gave away the punchline. Try this...
I was the first to congratulate Kaitlan [Collins] on her major new sponsorship. Then she told me that it was Dylan Mulvaney on the Bud Light can.
My sample rewrite above adds dimension to the humor to go beyond the resemblance joke: (1) makes it a personal interaction between Trump and Collins, which we know is often hostile, but at first sounds like he was sincerely trying to reach out personally as he's known to do, and (2) is self-deprecating inasmuch as Trump maybe couldn't tell the difference.
You should have wrangled a ticket if you wanted to heckle Trump with your lame takes. Pro tip: no Karen even with triple Ds has ever successfully hectored an audience into stifling their laughter.
The record remains unbroken.
Plus, my rewrite adds Collins' reaction to Trump's "misidentification." Behind the words, the audience then adds their own image in their mind's eye of how she would take such an erroneous "compliment" from Trump.
"Sample bad joke: "I thought Kaitlan [Collins] had really made it big with a major new sponsorship, but then I [was informed] that it wasn't her on the Bud Light can. It was Dylan Mulvaney.""
Bad joke or not, it does pick up on a common perception of Kaitlan Collins -- something that she just hasn't been able to shake off. I wonder if the president actually picked up on that on his own, or had time to get it from playing with the internet, or if somebody else just wrote the line for him.
The joke's been called "vile." Was it? Trump also referred to Anderson Cooper as having a "different persuasion." Not a serious dig at all, but it did remind some people of Trump's having called Cooper "Allison" years earlier. Not a good look for the gay-friendly president.
Well, Kaitlan Collins and Dylan Mulvaney DO have a resemblance:
https://x.com/KCPayTreeIt/status/2080886739233886600
DDD: "Carry on, my wayward twats."
Wayward Twats would be a great name for a punk band. CC, JSM
I have always defended Biden wandering off to talk to the paratroopers. When you're a world leader, you either follow tightly scripted events planned by your staff, or you lead. Biden found himself on a field with the other G7 (or Nato?) leaders just standing there. So he decided to do something - go talk to a real person: a paratrooper folding up his chute. Meloni either got the briefing Biden didn't, or she has more tolerance for stillness and silence, so she went and policed Joe up. She should have just gone with it and translated for the Italian paratrooper. Would have been a great photo op for both her and Joe.
Trump also tends to go off-script, either physically or verbally, because he is used to being the one in charge. He knows the script was made for him, not him for the script. So if he thinks of something in the middle, he just does or says it. It's not dementia, it's leadership. CC, JSM
Of all the people in the room, Trump is the most willing to discuss any subject, the most transparent, the best informed and the most honest. Any of them sharing a stage one-on-one with Trump for an hour would be removed by the "mercy rule" long before the hour was up.
I imagine at this point that most of the Democrats/lefties wish that they hadn't stolen the 2020 election, and they would already be rid of the Bad Orange Man. Not only that, but by stealing the 2020 election, they imbued Trump with a purpose that he wouldn't have had if he had served two consecutive terms and been done with it. A second consecutive Trump term would have been more of the same as the first term, with Swamp creatures sabotaging him at every turn. Instead, they woke a sleeping giant, much as the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor.
I see no verbal nor script-departing differences between this speech and speeches Trump made ten or 30 years ago. He always digresses. Intentionally. He starts a theme, then returns to it to alter the tone 20 minutes later. There is no mental or physical deterioration. He has the tenacity to walk into a room of people who are unhinged and relentless in their hatred of him and reminds them of what they all share. And his description of building the room they are sitting in was hilarious. That, and reminding them that the ballroom he's building won't be for his protection for long but will protect them and their peers going forward so deflated their criticism of it that nothing more needs to be said.
Donald Trump’s rambling incoherent speech raises new questions about Joe Biden’s mental health.
Ref Tina Trent's description of the Trump weave - Somebody in these comments mentioned the BBC radio show My Word the other day. The capstone of each episode is when the contestants tell a long shaggy-dog story that is supposed to end with a cliche phase given to them at the beginning of the show, e.g, "barefoot boy with cheeks of tan," or in a punny variant of the phrase. So the contestant rambles over narrative hill and dale for 10 or more minutes, finally arriving at the key phrase, usually in an hilariously funny way.
That's how Trump's mind works. Like incredibly educated and cultured BBC Radio personalities'. CC, JSM
I think Trump is spooked by the revelation that his war of choice caused more US military deaths than anything Joe Biden ever did.
Pentagon lowers official Iran war death toll, omitting four killed this month ~ CNBC
One of Donnie's best potential jokes of the night was left out of the performance:
" As I was headed down the White House lawn I looked down at my diaper and said "Natalie, somebody's been following me around and soiling my depends."
Natalie smiled and said, "Sir, that's the third time you've said that today."
I looked at her, nodded and whispered,
"Then we're getting closer to catching the bastard."
and then I said "Whoever keeps doing this has a sick sense of humor."
Natalie asked, "Do you know who it is?"
"No... but he knows where I live."
I now can't find it but you may have missed the best joke, Ann.
Apparently the other day Newsome said something about needing to "fight fire with fire" with respect to GOP extremism. Trump referenced the comment and then said "He obviously doesn't know how to fight fire with water"
I did not watch the speech but the jokes you posted seem pretty lame.
John Henry
John Mosby: that could be his next career. As a nascent political junkie, I not only watched presidential speeches in grade school (my brother and I wrestling the remote from our dad's sports, too bad it was Carter), but I incorporated many important historical speeches (FDR, JFK, the moon landing, Hiroshima reporting, and of course Churchill) in my classes. I wish I knew about Hardcore History when I was adjuncting for $6 an hour. But I adopt technology very, very slowly.
I miss In Our Time on the BBC. Level-headed, non-partisan academiciand discussing Chaucer, etc. I can't find it anymore, and I've listened to all of them at least twice while hoeing weeds from my thousand Black Cherokee heirloom tomato plants for my small business, Sicilian Hillbilly. Damn voles and fence-trampling goats and deer. Damn them to not cross the Rainbow Bridge. OK, I don't mean that.
*"My intention to run for a fourth term as President of the United States."*
They ran this story - as actual news - on a local 'news' website, and you cannot believe all the deranged leftists taking it seriously.
So, I baited them. "Maybe you should try killing him again. That'll stop him."
And there was no shortage of shitheads wanting to do just that.
Still 29 months to go. Might want to pace yourself, Icehole.
I can't wait for President Rubio or DeSantis.
KKaK/Richsockpuppet/paidActbluetrollaccount/extendedMainekampfnazirapeexcursion(TM) said...
"Donald Trump’s rambling incoherent speech raises new questions about Joe Biden’s mental health."
The fact the rest of us found it quite coherent raises questions about the degree of your meth addiction, KKKak.
కామెంట్ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.