I read Odysseus in 7 th grade and my teacher was careful to say the Greeks pronounced it Odissooos and not Odyssious. I don’t think I’ll see the movie but I wonder what the producer did. And if my instructor was right.
The commercials here for the primaries (mostly R so far, I think the Ds are holding off for the main event) are educational. I'm seeing ads for races involving people I've never heard of--even people who are already in office at one level or another.
They fit well in my paradigm: believe everything office-seekers say about their rivals, and you can't go far wrong.
In that vein of rich ore, one of my favorite achievements of hs was memorizing the prologue to Chaucers Canterbury tales, in Middle English which has gotten me certain favors from young ladies over the years as it certified me as an esoteric scholar. I can still recite it, but it is in Middle English and the pronunciation is still not known well because there was no way to record it. I chose to pronounce it in a Norwegian way. England at the time was quite Scandinavian.
“Wan tha Aprile, med his shoures sote, the druth of March had peirced to the rote…”
I'm going to see the Movie but I've been warned by the internet critics on what to expect. My wife will not come. She has no desire to see a bunch of Bros in armor fighting sea monsters or killing each other.
Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story of that man skilled in all ways of contending, the wanderer, harried for years on end, after he plundered the stronghold on the proud height of Troy.
Of these adventures, Muse, daughter of Zeus, tell us in our time, lift the great song again. Begin when all the rest who left behind them headlong death in battle or at sea had long ago returned, while he alone still hungered for home and wife. Her ladyship Kalypso clung to him in her sea-hollowed caves— a nymph, immortal and most beautiful, who craved him for her own.
And when long years and seasons wheeling brought around that point of time ordained for him to make his passage homeward, trials and dangers, even so, attended him even in Ithaka, near those he loved. Yet all the gods had pitied Lord Odysseus, all but Poseidon, raging cold and rough against the brave king till he came ashore at last on his own land
It's possible that Teh Odyssey (in some truncated and/or bowdlerized form) was taught in Memphis's public schools in the 1960s/70s but I don't recall it.
Fair point, O.M. I should have said "believe 99 and 44/100th percent of what office seekers say about their rivals."
I just saw Hamnet. It won a bunch of awards. A child suffers and dies. His mother is driven half mad with sorrow and grief. The mother rages at the father, Shakespeare, because he was absent during the child's illness. Shakespeare too is grief stricken. It's not a fun movie, but if you stick with it, it's got a redemptive ending. According to the movie, Shakespeare hits upon a way to transmorgify his grief into a great play so it was all worth it.......Not for everyone, Shakespeare in Love was more fun.
Aeneas is a has been. He used to be a big deal during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, but epic heroes come and go. I can't recall any movie ever made of his adventures. He;s overshadowed not just by Achilles and Ulysses but by such lesser lights as Claudius and Spartacus. He's like the George Washington of epic heroes. Modern bards don't want to celebrate his works and days.
Another neglected hero is Xenophon. His Anabasis would make a great movie if directed by someone with Nolan’s talent but without the need to check all the Oscar DEI boxes. The story was the basis of “The Warriors”, a very good 70s movie about gangs in New York.
“ I read Odysseus in 7 th grade and my teacher was careful to say the Greeks pronounced it Odissooos and not Odyssious.”
No one knows how Ancient Greek was pronounced. We don’t even know that about classical Latin. Scholars tell us that Caesar was probably pronounced more like KYE-Saar. Nobody’s going to change.
I usually don't bother with this asswipe's trolling, but... "The US needs much higher interest rates to offset the inflation caused by Trump's tariffs." Go ahead and explain how tariffs cause inflation.
*** it is in Middle English and the pronunciation is still not known well because there was no way to record it. I chose to pronounce it in a Norwegian way. England at the time was quite Scandinavian. ***
The Scandinavian era in England preceded the Norman Conquest. I don't think there was much Danish influence left except perhaps the odd Yorkshire accent.
We have a reasonable idea of what the Middle English of London sounded like, and that is how I also memorized it in high school.
I once recited it to a young German, who told me there were distinctly more recognizable cognates with her language than there are in Modern English. Nyght/Nacht for example, as well as Maken/Macht, Wende/Wenden, Slepen/Schlafen, Soote/Süß, Droghte/Trocken, Eek/Auch, Ferne/Fern, and undoubtedly others.
Eric Daugherty @EricLDaugh 🔥 AWESOME! Elon Musk MIC DROPS this reporter accusing him of being "far right"
"It's actually just NORMAL PEOPLE...here are the principles. Which sound terrible? We should have secure borders, safe cities, and sensible spending."
"Which of those 3 are 'far right?'"
"I'd like to admonish YOU and the MEDIA for the ABSURD characterization of the far right. It is FALSE, MISLEADING, and NONSENSE! KEEP THIS PART IN!"
LFG @ElonMusk !
"Literally, you could go back 10 or 15 years, and these policies were completely normal. In fact, one of the tricks that I think is funny is to take a speech from Obama and Hillary, and then go to someone who's on the lunatic left, and say, 'what do you think of the speech by Trump?'"
"They're like, oh, wow, he's the worst person ever. Actually, that was the speech by Obama! Or Hillary!"
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
32 komento:
Interesting how sunrise posts take a while to get a comment.
Beautiful. So, the smoke is finally gone.
Charles Bukowski is always good for a laugh - here he's talking about the worst hangover he ever had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLqY6NtWpqY
Btw, I love the birds and click of the photo. No Music. Well done.
I read Odysseus in 7 th grade and my teacher was careful to say the Greeks pronounced it Odissooos and not Odyssious. I don’t think I’ll see the movie but I wonder what the producer did. And if my instructor was right.
The commercials here for the primaries (mostly R so far, I think the Ds are holding off for the main event) are educational. I'm seeing ads for races involving people I've never heard of--even people who are already in office at one level or another.
They fit well in my paradigm: believe everything office-seekers say about their rivals, and you can't go far wrong.
"They fit well in my paradigm: believe everything office-seekers say about their rivals, and you can't go far wrong."
Umm… Kamala Harris called Donald Trump Hitler.
My response to the Odyssey:
Our culture is built on struggle stories that sabotage our attempts to live meaningful lives in a time of abundance.
In that vein of rich ore, one of my favorite achievements of hs was memorizing the prologue to Chaucers Canterbury tales, in Middle English which has gotten me certain favors from young ladies over the years as it certified me as an esoteric scholar. I can still recite it, but it is in Middle English and the pronunciation is still not known well because there was no way to record it. I chose to pronounce it in a Norwegian way. England at the time was quite Scandinavian.
“Wan tha Aprile, med his shoures sote, the druth of March had peirced to the rote…”
The Odyssey for 13 y/o girls in 7th grade? LOL. I wouldn't subject any girl under the age of 20 to the Odyssey. Its a boys book.
I'm going to see the Movie but I've been warned by the internet critics on what to expect. My wife will not come. She has no desire to see a bunch of Bros in armor fighting sea monsters or killing each other.
“Our culture is built on struggle stories that sabotage our attempts to live meaningful lives in a time of abundance.“
And more so abundance among the poverty of others. Such as The Great Gatsby and the lost generation garbage.
Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story
of that man skilled in all ways of contending,
the wanderer, harried for years on end,
after he plundered the stronghold
on the proud height of Troy.
Of these adventures, Muse, daughter of Zeus,
tell us in our time, lift the great song again.
Begin when all the rest who left behind them
headlong death in battle or at sea
had long ago returned, while he alone still hungered
for home and wife. Her ladyship Kalypso
clung to him in her sea-hollowed caves—
a nymph, immortal and most beautiful,
who craved him for her own.
And when long years and seasons
wheeling brought around that point of time
ordained for him to make his passage homeward,
trials and dangers, even so, attended him
even in Ithaka, near those he loved.
Yet all the gods had pitied Lord Odysseus,
all but Poseidon, raging cold and rough
against the brave king till he came ashore
at last on his own land
“ The Odyssey for 13 y/o girls in 7th grade?”
They seemed to enjoy the episode of the Syrens.
It's possible that Teh Odyssey (in some truncated and/or bowdlerized form) was taught in Memphis's public schools in the 1960s/70s but I don't recall it.
Fair point, O.M. I should have said "believe 99 and 44/100th percent of what office seekers say about their rivals."
No 2 is breathtaking
I just saw Hamnet. It won a bunch of awards. A child suffers and dies. His mother is driven half mad with sorrow and grief. The mother rages at the father, Shakespeare, because he was absent during the child's illness. Shakespeare too is grief stricken. It's not a fun movie, but if you stick with it, it's got a redemptive ending. According to the movie, Shakespeare hits upon a way to transmorgify his grief into a great play so it was all worth it.......Not for everyone, Shakespeare in Love was more fun.
Oddyseus was cursed for lesser heresies
Troy really looks like a masterpiece
The US needs much higher interest rates to offset the inflation caused by Trump's tariffs.
Interesting interview with Elon Musk:
https://youtu.be/QTGCSYn0piw?is=suWK6L9-w08z16fM
Aeneas is a has been. He used to be a big deal during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, but epic heroes come and go. I can't recall any movie ever made of his adventures. He;s overshadowed not just by Achilles and Ulysses but by such lesser lights as Claudius and Spartacus. He's like the George Washington of epic heroes. Modern bards don't want to celebrate his works and days.
So poignant. I love it.
Just wonder what those weeds are in the shallows of the lake. Not water hyacinth, I hope.
Another neglected hero is Xenophon. His Anabasis would make a great movie if directed by someone with Nolan’s talent but without the need to check all the Oscar DEI boxes. The story was the basis of “The Warriors”, a very good 70s movie about gangs in New York.
“ I read Odysseus in 7 th grade and my teacher was careful to say the Greeks pronounced it Odissooos and not Odyssious.”
No one knows how Ancient Greek was pronounced. We don’t even know that about classical Latin. Scholars tell us that Caesar was probably pronounced more like KYE-Saar. Nobody’s going to change.
I usually don't bother with this asswipe's trolling, but...
"The US needs much higher interest rates to offset the inflation caused by Trump's tariffs."
Go ahead and explain how tariffs cause inflation.
*** it is in Middle English and the pronunciation is still not known well because there was no way to record it. I chose to pronounce it in a Norwegian way. England at the time was quite Scandinavian. ***
The Scandinavian era in England preceded the Norman Conquest. I don't think there was much Danish influence left except perhaps the odd Yorkshire accent.
We have a reasonable idea of what the Middle English of London sounded like, and that is how I also memorized it in high school.
I once recited it to a young German, who told me there were distinctly more recognizable cognates with her language than there are in Modern English. Nyght/Nacht for example, as well as Maken/Macht, Wende/Wenden, Slepen/Schlafen, Soote/Süß, Droghte/Trocken, Eek/Auch, Ferne/Fern, and undoubtedly others.
Speaking of ancient lyrical performances, I'm just gonna leave this one here....
https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/iggy-pop-oakland-22354333.php
Eric Daugherty
@EricLDaugh
🔥 AWESOME! Elon Musk MIC DROPS this reporter accusing him of being "far right"
"It's actually just NORMAL PEOPLE...here are the principles. Which sound terrible? We should have secure borders, safe cities, and sensible spending."
"Which of those 3 are 'far right?'"
"I'd like to admonish YOU and the MEDIA for the ABSURD characterization of the far right. It is FALSE, MISLEADING, and NONSENSE! KEEP THIS PART IN!"
LFG
@ElonMusk
!
"Literally, you could go back 10 or 15 years, and these policies were completely normal. In fact, one of the tricks that I think is funny is to take a speech from Obama and Hillary, and then go to someone who's on the lunatic left, and say, 'what do you think of the speech by Trump?'"
"They're like, oh, wow, he's the worst person ever. Actually, that was the speech by Obama! Or Hillary!"
Nailed it.
https://x.com/EricLDaugh/status/2080367665030320568?s=20
Same interview...
Matt Van Swol
@mattvanswol
Liberal White Woman: "Some people loathe you. Do you understand why?"
Elon: "Maybe some people do loathe me. That's probably true. I don't care. I think a lot more people hate you and the media than you realize."
I love this man!!!!!! 🤣
https://x.com/mattvanswol/status/2080417854201975212?s=20
A Progressive girly man!
Sean Spicer
@seanspicer
Now I know why he is such a pretty boy
Jon Ossoff Spends Thousands on ‘Makeup Services’ From Artist Who Worked on Hollywood Blockbusters Like ‘The Notebook’
Ossoff has spent more on makeup than any federal candidate this year, beating out Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib
cc
@FreeBeacon
https://x.com/seanspicer/status/2080265778150961445?s=20
Hardly surprising.
Michael Dorgan
@M_Dorgan
🚨“It was just the final death blow to the company.”
An Obama Presidential Center subcontractor has shut down and laid off 25 union workers amid a nearly $4 million payment fight.
Adamson Plumbing owner Mike Owen tells me what happened 👇
https://x.com/M_Dorgan/status/2080316839788195864?s=20
Mag-post ng isang Komento
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.