This is amazing. The two greatest things I saw this week were the flight of the SpaceX Starship the other day, and this revelation on the pastels produced by La Maison du Pastel. One from the future world, one from the past world, both operating in this world.
Incredible, beautiful, wonderful. I love color. This looks to be the motherlode of it all.
Last night's photos reminded me of ripening peaches, against the sky. What a lovely Sunday morning story. When me and my siblings were toddlers, my mom commissioned portraits of us in our Sunday best, in pastels. One of the choices she had to make was how to blend the colors. Apparently some do it with strokes of the pastel only, others use a brush or even their finger. The artist used her finger, to good effect (I thought).
Back in the early 2000s, I got deep into oil painting. There was this eccentric illustrator who started a boutique paint and medium company using traditional, often toxic, pigments, natural oils, resins and solvents to reproduce materials used by the great masters. Most of the mediums were made with a base of black oil, which is lead boiled in linseed oil. He also taught painting techniques in a boot camp style based on his experiences as a UDT frogman in the late 50's.
I have about 50 paintings I made with these traditional materials and they glow with a life and vibrancy 20-years on looking like they were painted yesterday.
How I loved seeing this! I am obsessed by the Parisian blues. There is a vivid cobalt blue in the stained glass of the Ste Chappelle, Chartres and Notre Dame cathedrals that was done in the 13th century, and no one has been able to achieve it since. God bless the souls who carry on tradition.
Caroline @9:08, I saw this post early this morning but did not watch the video because of my sleeping household - but I had exactly the same memory about the blue in the stained glass at Chartres and Notre Dame!
Yesterday, we visited the Basilica of Notre Dame in Vieux Montreal, built in the 1800s in Gothic style. For such a large space, they've used very intense colors, and a great deal of built-in darkness, which surprised me. I remember visiting St. John the Divine in New York City years ago and having it pointed out by the docent that the lightness of the stone would have much more closely reflected what the great European cathedrals looked like when they were first completed - not yet darkened by centuries of candle and incense smoke.
Hmm, I don't work in pastels, but I see a lot of pastel work online that is very impressive. And the US National Gallery library had a little Mary Cassatt exhibit earlier this year with her pastel box, which I guess they had in their archives. Next time I visit Paris I will have to plan to be there on a Thursday.
In theatrical lighting, blue is the color with the most number of variants in gels. (color filters) There's steel blue, booster blue, Congo blue, marine blue, evening blue, primary blue, parry sky blue, Nile blue, twilight blue, azure blue, no color blue, ect ect. There are literally hundreds of shades of blue color filters. Alas, the gels are slowly going away since modern LED lights can actually mix colors inside the fixture. I don't know if they'll ever stop making gels, but there's no way that can maintain that diversity of color and still make a profit. At least, I'll always have my old swatch books.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
20 ટિપ્પણીઓ:
Fascinating and beautiful Sunday morning treat! Thanks!
That made my morning.
2 people do all that, impressive
Am I Blue? - Ray Charles
Althouse hinting she used these pastels to create the 3 paintings in the previous post.
This is amazing. The two greatest things I saw this week were the flight of the SpaceX Starship the other day, and this revelation on the pastels produced by La Maison du Pastel. One from the future world, one from the past world, both operating in this world.
Incredible, beautiful, wonderful.
I love color. This looks to be the motherlode of it all.
Last night's photos reminded me of ripening peaches, against the sky. What a lovely Sunday morning story. When me and my siblings were toddlers, my mom commissioned portraits of us in our Sunday best, in pastels. One of the choices she had to make was how to blend the colors. Apparently some do it with strokes of the pastel only, others use a brush or even their finger. The artist used her finger, to good effect (I thought).
Back in the early 2000s, I got deep into oil painting. There was this eccentric illustrator who started a boutique paint and medium company using traditional, often toxic, pigments, natural oils, resins and solvents to reproduce materials used by the great masters. Most of the mediums were made with a base of black oil, which is lead boiled in linseed oil. He also taught painting techniques in a boot camp style based on his experiences as a UDT frogman in the late 50's.
I have about 50 paintings I made with these traditional materials and they glow with a life and vibrancy 20-years on looking like they were painted yesterday.
Thank you Ann! What Would Paul Klee Do works are mostly pastels. Your draw like Paul Klee posts were rich. A new place to visit in October!
Thanks for that. Great start to my day.
How I loved seeing this! I am obsessed by the Parisian blues. There is a vivid cobalt blue in the stained glass of the Ste Chappelle, Chartres and Notre Dame cathedrals that was done in the 13th century, and no one has been able to achieve it since. God bless the souls who carry on tradition.
Paint it blue.
I just spent a lovely chunk of time perusing their website. I recommend it.
What an incredible niche business. The antithesis of socialism.
Caroline @9:08, I saw this post early this morning but did not watch the video because of my sleeping household - but I had exactly the same memory about the blue in the stained glass at Chartres and Notre Dame!
Yesterday, we visited the Basilica of Notre Dame in Vieux Montreal, built in the 1800s in Gothic style. For such a large space, they've used very intense colors, and a great deal of built-in darkness, which surprised me. I remember visiting St. John the Divine in New York City years ago and having it pointed out by the docent that the lightness of the stone would have much more closely reflected what the great European cathedrals looked like when they were first completed - not yet darkened by centuries of candle and incense smoke.
I certainly learned something new today. Thanks for posting.
La Maison du Pastel sounds like a pasty shop.
Some place where you could buy fresh Macrons.
Hmm, I don't work in pastels, but I see a lot of pastel work online that is very impressive. And the US National Gallery library had a little Mary Cassatt exhibit earlier this year with her pastel box, which I guess they had in their archives. Next time I visit Paris I will have to plan to be there on a Thursday.
At meditation this morning I was admiring the colors outside, in the trees, sky, clouds, and wood of the zendo. And then this video. Thanks, Althouse.
In theatrical lighting, blue is the color with the most number of variants in gels. (color filters) There's steel blue, booster blue, Congo blue, marine blue, evening blue, primary blue, parry sky blue, Nile blue, twilight blue, azure blue, no color blue, ect ect. There are literally hundreds of shades of blue color filters. Alas, the gels are slowly going away since modern LED lights can actually mix colors inside the fixture. I don't know if they'll ever stop making gels, but there's no way that can maintain that diversity of color and still make a profit. At least, I'll always have my old swatch books.
ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.