Hulyo 21, 2026

Bison man speaks.


My tag for bison is "buffalo." Sorry. I know it's a bison. I searched for "bison" in my tags, but all that came up was "Roy Orbison." Hmm. Good idea for a purple category in the NYT game "Connections." 

37 komento:

Lazarus ayon kay ...

We need to take special precautions when it comes to people with hyphenated names.

Poor fellow though. Femur broken in four places. Wishes for speedy recovery.

n.n ayon kay ...

Biden? On first read. Pass the coffee.

Eva Marie ayon kay ...

RFK’s encounter with a bison turned out differently:
https://x.com/thericanmemes/status/2078299470559592701?s=46

Aggie ayon kay ...

Seems pretty hale, I hope he makes a good recovery. It would be interesting to hear from an experienced rodeo clown, what they think their chances would have been in a similar situation.

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

I'm glad he survived. That was crazy.

n.n ayon kay ...

Buffalo man was released on good behavior, with gay humor, and a conspiratorial gaffaw.

Big Mike ayon kay ...

Grandfather put himself between grandchild and large, aggressive, animal. We grandfathers do things like that. The feminists call it toxic masculinity.

Leland ayon kay ...

Seen elsewhere: “high capacity assault cow”

Leland ayon kay ...

I’m currently listening to a podcast with a Buffalo (NY) man speaking.

William ayon kay ...

I'm glad he's okay That film clip looks like something you see in a cartoon. I wouldn't wish that that Elmer Fudd.

Humperdink ayon kay ...

My Amish buddy pointed to the bull in the pasture full of cows. He said bull is now docile because he’s already “finished” with all cows. This bison apparently still had work to do.

RideSpaceMountain ayon kay ...

Bother the bison, get buffaloed.

amr ayon kay ...

Ann,
I believe "American Buffalo" and "Bison" are both acceptable names for bovine native to North America (scientific name _Bison bison_). Insisting that the American species is not a "buffalo" seems to be an unnecessarily pedantic hyper-correction. It'd be like insisting the American Robin _Turdus migratorius_ isn't a true "Robin" (family _Muscicapidae_) and so should be called "American Thrush".

See here for a brief article in support:
https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-american-buffalo/is-it-bison-or-buffalo
'So, is it “buffalo” or “bison”? We think the answer is “yes” to both.'

I read some good similar information at The North American Bison Discovery Center in Jamestown, ND. I had hoped to find that online, but google didn't have it.

(Though there is plenty of contradicting hair-splitting online.)

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

The buffalo would've gone after him and not his grandson because he was the biggest target. I don't think that beard helped either.

Not sure whether making a run for it was the smartest thing, why not just stay in the trees?

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

but what a toss. He must have gone 10 feet in the air.

Fritz ayon kay ...

When we visited Yellowstone many years ago, the Bison were all over the place. I remember getting out at a small store, and there was one under a tree not far away. Fortunately it decided to ignore us entirely.

Known Unknown ayon kay ...

Roy Orbison
Wolfgang Van Halen
Anna Mae Bullock
Joe Cocker
Carlos Santana

There's your Connections list (for now)

Known Unknown ayon kay ...

Jeez the < /b > doesn't work does it?

Known Unknown ayon kay ...

Sorry

Ann Althouse ayon kay ...

"I believe "American Buffalo" and "Bison" are both acceptable names for bovine native to North America (scientific name _Bison bison_). Insisting that the American species is not a "buffalo" seems to be an unnecessarily pedantic hyper-correction..."

I agree and it's why I went ahead with the tag in that form in the first place. I know it's "bison" but it seems like a pain to say that. In American culture, it's "buffalo." In science, it's bison.

Ann Althouse ayon kay ...

Don't be bold

gilbar ayon kay ...

there was a farmer, over by Boone Iowa; that had a Buffalo fenced in a field. There were signs on the fence, that said:

Can YOU run across the length of this field in 10 seconds?
The BUFFALO CAN

That's all they said.. it was all it needed to say

Rocco ayon kay ...

I assume U.N.C.L.E. Is monitoring the American Thrush’s activities.

MadTownGuy ayon kay ...

Heh. "Roy, or Bison."

Mike (MJB Wolf) ayon kay ...

That suggests a new game: Roy or Bison? Maybe that creative AI we keep hearing about can take it from there. I think most of us use the terms buffalo and bison interchangeably. My hunch was bison raised for steak and buffalo were wild. You know, roaming.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

A bison by any other name would be just as dangerous.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

Bison seems to be more accurate, but Buffalo is the popular label.

Mike (MJB Wolf) ayon kay ...

Yes a helluva toss. Was he as reported protecting his grandson?

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

Bison? No
Bigrandson.

Mike (MJB Wolf) ayon kay ...

We know bison ranchers. They never identify as buffalo ranchers. Don’t know why.

Mike (MJB Wolf) ayon kay ...

Nice!

Tina Trent ayon kay ...

When Ted Turner and Jane Fonda invaded our privacy by sitting behind me and my friend in an empty, cavernous restaturant in Cabbagetown, Atlanta, where I lived, I felt entitled to eavesdrop, especially as they were being performative and really loud and were listening to us talk about film editing. Ted was very depressed. He kept telling Jane *Nobody loves me but my Buffalo,* as he ate a Buffalo burger. Then he yelled at her for not eating enough, while she picked at a poached skinless chicken breast with her salad dressing on the side.

Maybe the Buffalo really were his only friends.

Iman ayon kay ...

Buffalo Soldjah, fond of pasta
There was a Buffalo Soldjah
In the heart of the Jellystone
Dependin’ on Medicare, let’s see how he fares
Taken for a rival, running for survival

h/t Bob Marley

Rustygrommet ayon kay ...

RCOCEAN II said...
"but what a toss. He must have gone 10 feet in the air."

Right now grampa is in the lead on points. But the season isn't over yet.
My money is on a foreign tourist next time. Preferably a German one.

Howard ayon kay ...

It was a spectacular flip, unfortunately the old dude failed to stick the landing. He got what he deserve though and failed to heed the proper response: stop, drop and roll

tommyesq ayon kay ...

"Grandfather put himself between grandchild and large, aggressive, animal. We grandfathers do things like that. The feminists call it toxic masculinity."

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that - good for the old guy protecting his kin.

tommyesq ayon kay ...

I was once driving over a bridge at duck in Yellowstone in a rented 4-door sedan when a bison wandered onto the bridge from the other side and started casually strolling towards us. He was significantly bigger than the car.

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.