"... boxes, buckets, complex assemblages of forms and materials, some indecipherable and unfinished. The workshop shed shows the scale and breadth of Exworth’s technical acuity and thinking – everything from drills, jigsaws, sanders and glass cutters to grinders, putty and tiny paintbrushes.... 'For me, he was a really genuine artist – solving problems about how to make things. He was engaged in the activity of making, and found that far more rewarding than presenting it. Ray was just engrossed every day in how to move forward and make something.'"
From "'The door slid open and my jaw dropped': the astonishing sculptures only ever seen by 20 people/Ray Exworth spent his life filling Cornish sheds with breathtaking sculptures – but wouldn’t let anyone in to view them. Now, after his death, his secret body of work has been revealed" (The Guardian).

25 ટિપ્પણીઓ:
“Across the seven sheds, each with their own atmosphere and theme, are life size“.
Sounds like the first page of a pirate novel. If you change sheds to seas.
How wonderful that we can still be truly surprised in this world. A purist. Lovely story.
I wish some sculptures/art that is presented today as such was locked away in a shed.
While I don't see anything extraordinary about these sculptures, the placement - context - of such art makes it more meaningful.
Should these pieces have been placed in a gallery, would they elicit such a 'wow' factor?
Sounds like a farm / artist estate in Provence I stayed at in 2015. Wild experience. The artist was a true madman, fortunately his wife ran the place. I still have nightmares involving a particular sculpture of a man and a canoe.
Barns instead of sheds, though. Local context.
There is, or at least once was, a farmhouse to the east of Fort Collins, CO, with whimsical welded sculptures of dinosaurs and fantastic beasts, made from old farm machinery and scrap iron. Always amusing to view as we'd pass by. Personal art is often a delight.
Just FYI, if you scroll halfway down the article, one of the sculptures is a topless woman.
Some of that looks like set design that didn't make "The Cell's" final cut.
LOL this will be me someday as I paint and draw but it all just accumulates. When it comes to art I think supply far exceeds demand, so I can't be bothered to try and sell anything. Just wait until all of us creative amateur artists die amongst the Boomer/Gen X demographic. A flood of newly discovered art that drives prices down even further.
Art for Art’s sake.
Good for him. A lot of it looks like it would fit well at a Cracker Barrel. Well, not the first statue of the guy with his dick haning out but some of the other stuff.
There is an awful lot of art locked away in warehouses that will never be seen.
That does not mean that I do not like some of the art shown in the article.
John Henry
"Breathtaking."
Sure.
some of that stuff could easily land inside the House on the Rock.
"'The door slid open and my jaw dropped': the astonishing sculptures only ever seen by 20 people”
Too many.
Is he known as Ray "Seven Sheds" Exworth?
ot: wild fire locations and smoke.
wow - so many fires.
https://wildfiretrackers.com/f/map
that map is just USA... Not Canada. Canada is all on fire.
Seven is big in symbology. Seven seals. Seven sheds.
AI Overview
In the Bible, the number seven symbolizes completeness, fullness, and divine perfection. In the Book of Revelation, the seven seals are used by God to secure a scroll containing His ultimate, flawless plan for the end of history. Using any other number would not carry the same theological meaning of absolute, finished perfection.
The number seven is deeply embedded in ancient Near Eastern and biblical cultures for several reasons:
Creation: God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh, establishing the seven-day week as a cycle of completion.
Hebrew Language: In Hebrew, the word for seven (sheva) shares a linguistic root with the word for a sworn oath (shava). Breaking the seven seals is essentially God sealing or "signing" His sworn, unbreakable covenant.
Apocalyptic Structure: The Book of Revelation heavily relies on the number seven to map out its events. It features seven churches, seven seals, seven trumpets, and seven bowls to perfectly structure the narrative of judgment and redemption.
Don’t forget the seven deadlies.
Althouse has reached the apex of the sculpture theme for the day. Brava!
Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson is intensely jealous.
Snakes shed their skins. They leave behind hollow replicas of themselves. Shedding one's soul with replicas of people in sheds?
Prophetic. Deep man. Deep.
I was going to clean my shed. Now I'm going to charge admission.
Amazing. My grandmother was a sculptor. She wouldn't call herself one. She won contests for much-needed money at NYC Department stores, including for the rare White Shoulders perfume holder ($25) and another a bas relief of JFK that was printed by the U.S. Mint. But in an unused room, she made and hid her religious art, designed to bring all human souls to heaven in case of a nuclear attack. They were human faces on nuclear weapons. She showed them to me but hid them. They were breathtaking. When I asked her four daughters if I could have one after she had died, they had no idea what I was talking about, nor did my Mad Men artist uncle, Michangelo Dori, and we never found them.
This man's human figures remind me of Bruno Lucchesi, especially that one beautiful male arm. How to Sculpt the Head in Clay, a book following the steps of a Lucchesi work, is the most beautiful art book I have ever known. It makes you believe that you could learn to do what he did.
I wasn't half-bad, but I stopped sculpting heads and writing poems a long time ago. It made me unbearably sad to do it. I don't know why. Maybe Exworth just needed absolute solitude. Maybe he had a completion obsession. Buy the Lucchesi book for someone artistic whom you love. I blew up the pictures and framed them all around the house. I have looked at them almost every day for 20 years. I see something new every time. Maybe not making art is an appreciation.
ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.