That sounds like one of those sentences that makes me think I'm experiencing another bout of transient alexia.
What's wrong with the phrase "guy's guy"? I'd ask Meade but he's watching that video I sent him, the one with a guy named Larry listing a lot of things he's not going to do anymore now that he's 72.
Left to my own devices I went looking for "guy's guy" in my blog archive. I believe I've only used the phrase once: "Now, if everyone would please dial down all the criticism and let Obama get on with his un-self-conscious guy's guy agenda, it will all work out just fine."
What's wrong with the phrase "guy's guy"? I'd ask Meade but he's watching that video I sent him, the one with a guy named Larry listing a lot of things he's not going to do anymore now that he's 72.
Left to my own devices I went looking for "guy's guy" in my blog archive. I believe I've only used the phrase once: "Now, if everyone would please dial down all the criticism and let Obama get on with his un-self-conscious guy's guy agenda, it will all work out just fine."
That was in an October 26, 2009 post called "Obama's White House boy's club." And I was using the phrase jokingly echoing something the NYT had written:
The suspicion flared in recent weeks — and not for the first time — after President Obama was criticized by women’s advocates and liberal bloggers for hosting a high-level basketball game with no female players.
The president, after all, is an unabashed First Guy’s Guy....
He presides over a White House rife with fist-bumping young men who call each other “dude” and testosterone-brimming personalities like Rahm Emanuel, the often-profane chief of staff; Lawrence Summers, the brash economic adviser; and Robert Gibbs, the press secretary, who habitually speaks in sports metaphors....
Interesting. Remember that? This gets my old "Obama and manliness" tag. Lawrence Summers... hmm... what if you were a guy's guy and the guy was Epstein?
Meade finished the Larry video and I did get a chance to ask what was the problem with "guy's guy," but it was a long conversation that went all over the place and involved many detours and contradictions. Was it an insult or a compliment? Why is anyone pleased to fit a stereotype? Are those within the stereotype there because they really want to do these things — what things? hunting? — or because they want to fit in? Is there a female equivalent? "Woman's woman" isn't an expression. What would it even mean? And much more. I aired my theory of the Bluto/Popeye distinction. Would a guy's guy have such a conversation?

30 కామెంట్లు:
Yeah, the manliness of the Obama White House really stood out to everyone.
Grok gave me this: ""Girl's girl" has become common in the last decade or so, especially online. It means a woman who is loyal to female friends, doesn't compete by undercutting them, and generally sides with other women rather than centering male attention. That is closer in structure—"X's X"—but the content is solidarity and anti-rivalry, not "stereotypically feminine and preferred by other women for that reason." You can be a girl's girl without being particularly girly, and a very feminine woman can still be described as not a girl's girl if she is seen as throwing other women under the bus."
Is a "guy's guy" different from a "man's man?"
My, how times have changed...nowadays, Obama seems so pussy whipped by Michelle.
Bless you for explaining that you said it jokingly, Althouse. I don't think I could have gone on.
It's always amusing when the NYT reveals whom it considers to be brimming with testosterone.
…slight breach of form, frat boi Larry Summers was brought to heel by the witchy scolds…
…did they happen to mention the amount of alexia needed so it no longer classifies as just passing through?
Similarly, I’ve never liked the terms, ‘buddy’ and ‘bud.’
Gay
"Bless you for explaining that you said it jokingly, Althouse. I don't think I could have gone on."
Man up.
Yep, even Obama knows that men could hurt women in basketball - even when one of the men is Obama. CC, JSM
Meade must fancy himself a lady boy
In our house we say “massive lad” but we’ve been listening to way too much The Rest is History.
And I’m only half-joking since I’ve noticed we also say things like “very poor behavior” and “let himself down” without irony. I’ve never considered myself impressionable, so it’s interesting to see a family’s speech changed, however slightly, by an outside influence.
A guy's guy doesn't have a feminine side with which to get in touch.
“The president, after all, is an unabashed First Guy’s Guy....”
Trump is more of a ladies man, which is a lot more fun.
'...testosterone-brimming personalities like Rahm Emanuel...'
Sure, that's the first thing that comes to mind when his name is mentioned. Robert Reich, too.
A guy's guy is somebody that anybody with practical handy experience or athletic ability would feel comfortable hanging out with. A guy with a shop in his garage, who hunts or camps, or regularly visits a supply house. He may or may not be blue collar. There's a certain kinship there - and they are never narcissists. Obama was never a 'guy's guy'.
Jeeves was a gentleman's gentleman.
"Regular guy" or "ordinary guy" are more common.
Lately I've been hearing the term "a comic's comic" a lot on podcasts.
I'm feeling a "guy's guy" is the same as a "dude's dude."
If Bernie had been elected he’d be a bro’s bro.
Trump is more of a ladies man, which is a lot more fun.
My late father was that way. He was devotedly faithful to my mom and never set a foot out of line, but he was a leader of men and the very center of female attention in any room he entered. I got none of his charisma and less than his share of handsome good looks, but it was successfully passed down to my son.
James Garner. Guy's guy.
I am not sure how I would describe a man’s man. My partner always says it with a “woman’s man”. It’s a man who women want to be around, as well as men. Her father, and her late and her ex husband fall into that category - though being French and flirting constantly, her father might not qualify. But he was a master welder, and built everything around the house, from much of the furniture, to the dance floor and pictures frames for his wife.
I didn’t fall into the category because I was never that smooth with men, and spent my career in less manly vocations, but I have redeemed myself somewhat with my 2k’ sq ft two story garage, full of manly things, my gun collection, etc. And, yes, because I won the prize, in terms of women.
Her stepson definitely falls into that category. He’s the head Stewart of the LV electricians union, so popular with the other guys that they donated hours of annual leave when he had brain cancer (likely from the C19 ModRNA vaccines) and ran out of leave. But so popular with women that they continually give him their phone numbers, unsolicited, every time we see him. His garage isn’t quite as big as mine, but he does have 2 welders, and all the hand tools you would ever need.
Heard of the phrase a "man's man" but never a "Guys Guy".
TR- A man's man
FDR - Total fem.
JFK - A man's man
Clinton - A total fem.
One thing i dislike is leaders who surround themselves with women and beta males. Trump isn't one of those.
The reason that Obama never could have been a man’s man is that his appeal was to the women. His wife is someone none of us would have touched with a ten foot pole. Who would we rather hang out with - Obama or John McCain III, or even Mitt Romney. Obama won election almost completely on women’s votes. Men saw through him, no matter how much of a MCP he was in the White House.
I've always considered myself something of a Goy's Goy.
”One thing i dislike is leaders who surround themselves with women and beta males. Trump isn't one of those.”
Definitely not. Not when his Secs of War and HHS do well publicized pull up contests. Probably not a beta male among them.
“My late father was that way. He was devotedly faithful to my mom and never set a foot out of line, but he was a leader of men and the very center of female attention in any room he entered. I got none of his charisma and less than his share of handsome good looks, but it was successfully passed down to my son.”
Sounds just like my late father-in-law. His middle daughter, my partner, got his charisma, as well as his three grandsons, (but not his granddaughter ) and one or two of his great grandsons. We shall see about the son of the great grandson who definitely got it.
Of course, while we got our parents’ brains, charisma and being charming were completely missing in my family.
కామెంట్ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.