Oktubre 4, 2026

"I don’t know about anyone else, but a table full of very distinguished people just told me that they HATE, immediately after a mandatory time change, going home at night – and it’s DARK."

"It’s depressing! One of the gentleman stated that, 'I just hate going home in darkness.'"

Writes Trump, who seems to believe Daylight Saving Time is a valuable political issue.

Who cares about the delicate feelings of the distinguished gentlemen arrayed around Trump's dining table?

Who were these guys? AI billionaires? I'm more concerned about children forced to get to school in the morning while it's still dark. Guys in their cars feeling melancholic... that's not a hot political concern.

And as long as I'm reacting to Trump's Truth Social account, there's this: "If Republicans win the House of Representatives and the Senate in the 2026 Midterm Elections, I’m going to give all Adult Citizens in the United States of America, $5,000. Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to signing those checks!"

Just awful.

129 (na) komento:

rehajm ayon kay ...

Why can’t it be Trump proffering his 2 cents on the matter like every other human being everywhere…

Spiros ayon kay ...

Can't they compromise? Why not reduce daylight savings time to a half-hour adjustment?

jim ayon kay ...

Oh, I've already spent my $5K on Trump coins

Mason G ayon kay ...

$5000 is less than Democrats already give away to illegal aliens.

ChatGPT: I'd put the reasonable national estimate at roughly $5,000–$10,000 per unauthorized immigrant per year, with about $7,000–$8,000 as a useful midpoint.

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

I hate Daylight savings time. It's for pussies.

Standard Time is for real men.

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

Benefits to ditching daylight pussy time.

Summer- the days are already longer - because it's summer! On the 4th of July instead of waiting until past 9:30-10:00 PM for complete darkness - it will get dark around 8:30 or 9:00 Instead. Great for watching fireworks. Better for kids who need to go to bed.

Agree with Ann on this!

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

Sometimes Trump listens to "staffer" types who cannot be trusted. This needs to STOP.

Original Mike ayon kay ...

"I hate Daylight savings time. It's for pussies.
Standard Time is for real men."

I was just thinking "pussies" when I read "people just told me that they HATE, immediately after a mandatory time change, going home at night – and it’s DARK."

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

Would it be a terrible idea to have a national vote?

I would bet STANDARD TIME FOR ALL - would be a sure fire winner.

Daylight pussy time - is for wimps and losers.

Original Mike ayon kay ...

"Great for watching fireworks. Better for kids who need to go to bed."

Better for stargazing when it's warm.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ ayon kay ...

We tried permanent daylight saving time in 1974. Winter arrived, dark mornings arrived with it, public support collapsed, and Congress reversed course.

Apparently, 52 years is long enough for Trump to forget how the experiment ended. Nothing says “new idea” quite like rerunning an old one and hoping the ending changes

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

Oh no - It's dark - AT NIGHT! WHAAAA

I agree with Ann - Dark in the morning is worse.

Hey Skipper ayon kay ...

"I'm more concerned about children forced to get to school in the morning while it's still dark."

With time zones an hour wide, someone will be in the dark, regardless.

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

A HUGE benefit to STARD TIME FOR ALL - It will make traveling easier. Less strange.

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

The reason to get rid of it is that it's an unnecessary, ineffective, unnatural, unhealthy, archaic relic that's a pain in the ass. I don't care how getting rid of it plays out politically. It's exactly the same way I feel about the IRGC.

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

Hey Skipper - indeed. It's winter and the days are short no matter what. Moving the time around does not increase daylight at all. So why bother messing with our collective Circadian Rhythms ?

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

"Nothing says “new idea” quite like rerunning an old one and hoping the ending changes"

The Democratic Socialists of America strongly disagree.

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

Can't Bill Gates just adjust the sun?

Canadian Bumblepuppy ayon kay ...

In British Columbia the government in its infinite wisdom has decreed permanent daylight savings time. I won't miss the shock of the twice yearly time change but the 9AM sunrises in December might take some getting used to.

Aggie ayon kay ...

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I've seen enough of Trump to understand that this is how he makes himself flypaper for the inside of people's skulls. It might lead to either derangement or exasperation, but it works.

The $5000 checks are a stupid idea, like putting his name on the Kennedy Dilapidation Center for the Performing Arts. But I doubt either one should be seriously be considered as something intended to come to fruition.

Achilles ayon kay ...

I hate waking up in the morning when it is dark.

Eva Marie ayon kay ...

Much better message:
If Democrats win the House of Representatives and the Senate in the 2026 Midterm Elections, new taxes will consume an additional $5,000 of your income. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Vote Republican in the midterms.

boatbuilder ayon kay ...

It seems like an awful lot of people really resent the time change. Like the time change is somehow responsible for the sun going down early (yes, the return to standard time speeds it along, but winter is winter). The people who think it's good as it is really don't gat too exercised about it. So maybe he gets some votes.
On the money thing, Trump had made good on a promise to give $1776 to every member of the military, re refunded $500 to 20 million people who overpaid for ObamaCare, he established and got funding for at least $1250 in "Trump Accounts" for every child in America, and he keeps reminding people about the $5000 promise. I don't know what the plan is. Jeff Childers speculates that the plan is to use government investment in oil and tech companies as a source of funding. Or maybe he's just BS ing and he knows the Republicans are going to lose.

Mason G ayon kay ...

"With time zones an hour wide..."

This is why noon should be when the sun has reached its highest altitude overhead at a central point in the time zone. This is the best you're going to get, adjusting for the advantage of people on one side of that will disadvantage those on the other.

Iman ayon kay ...

Speaking of “awful”, how about that Biden presidency!?

Hey Skipper ayon kay ...

Mason G FTW.

Dude1394 ayon kay ...

I love daylight savings time.

Dude1394 ayon kay ...

Give me my Obama phone. Get over yourself.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ ayon kay ...

$5000 𝘪𝘴 𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘋𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘴.

There’s desperation and then there’s this. Seems poorly targeted. Does Trump realize that he will be bribing Democrat’s as well?

Mason G ayon kay ...

So you're admitting Democrats are currently bribing voters?

rehajm ayon kay ...

“Who cares about the delicate feelings of the distinguished gentlemen arrayed around Trump's dining table”

…I find their talk more interesting than anything David French has to say. Think of it as a gift link…

WK ayon kay ...

$5000 plus the $100($90?) Medicare part B rebate. Most I’ll probably ever get back….

rehajm ayon kay ...

I’d prefer the trillions supporting illegals be returned to Americans but as is explained ad nauseam every time Trump does anything it is Congress that’s in charge…

Joe Bar ayon kay ...

I have come to believe that switching from one time standard to the other twice a year is the best compromise we're ever going to achieve. However, I still think Standard Time would be the best for me.

Biff ayon kay ...

I hate the idea of a $5,000 bribe to senior citizens, but the more I think about it, is it actually any worse than the usual set of less quantitative bribes that politicians usually promise? A check for $5k is a lot more honest than promising lower healthcare costs and then delivering substantial price increases, for example.

n.n ayon kay ...

An hour Is a gift. An hour is a deficit, equitable, and inclusive. It's a biannual federal holiday.

Mason G ayon kay ...

Politicians have promised free stuff practically forever. But suddenly, it's a problem because Trump.

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

To oppose the $5000 rebate, you have to assume that the government will spend that $5,000 dollars better than the people who produced it. I don't believe that they will. Right now most tax money goes to people who waste it because they are grifters, overcharging or stealing, or because they have poor spending habits that make them poor. At least an across-the-board rebate will get some of it to people who spend money wisely because it's theirs, and that's just how they roll. If we had a mandatory balanced budget, it would be interesting to see if we would vote to reduce spending to pay for rebates.

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

At least you will know if you got the $5,000 check or not. Usually, they bribe you with money you never see.

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

The best use of tax dollars is tax cuts for the rich because they handle money well and grow it. The worst use is money that finds its way into crime, especially addictive drugs.

Mason G ayon kay ...

"The worst use is money that finds its way into crime, especially addictive drugs."

The Homeless Industrial Complex will be scratching you off their Christmas card list just as soon as they see your comment, you know.

FredSays ayon kay ...

I guess the way I feel about the $5000 giveaway is, why not. Everyone else gets promised free shit for their vote, why not me? Deficit, shmeficit.

R C Belaire ayon kay ...

"Eva Marie said...
Much better message:
If Democrats win the House of Representatives and the Senate in the 2026 Midterm Elections, new taxes will consume an additional $5,000 of your income. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Vote Republican in the midterms."
This is EXACTLY what I hope Trump is implying. I really doubt he's talking about actual checks -- but I've been wrong before.

Michael Fitzgerald ayon kay ...

It's election season and Althouse's libtard heart is calling for her to "do the right thing" for Democrat Party members.

James K ayon kay ...

It really depends which end of the time zone you're on. The Eastern time zone is wide. In the northeast, summer sunset would mostly be before 7:30pm on standard time. Winter sunrise is no later than 7:20am. I don't care that much, but I wouldn't mind year-round DST here. As for kids, as many have pointed out in these discussions, schools could have winter hours that start an hour later in the morning.

Amadeus 48 ayon kay ...

We have a house in western Michigan. We hate having to get started in the dark. With DST the sun will come up at 9:12 am on December 21. My wife already hates Trump. This will make it worse.

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

You can always move south, but not too far.

RJ ayon kay ...

I spent a year on standard time back when Indiana did that. The most disconcerting thing was when the alarm clock rang for my 7 AM rising time and the sun was already fairly high in the sky. A lot of parts of the US would see around 4AM summer sunrises, and with most work schedules, that sunshine ends up basically wasted.

Charlie Currie ayon kay ...

Permanent DST is good for office workers but really bad for those in the trades or outdoor workers. If we need/want more tradesmen, don’t make the job mote difficult.

Achilles ayon kay ...

bagoh20 said...

You can always move south, but not too far.

I could go a bit farther south but not much.

It is dark for about an hour now after I wake up.

I hate winter in general for a variety of reasons.

Smilin' Jack ayon kay ...

“I’m going to give all Adult Citizens in the United States of America, $5,000. Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to signing those checks!"

Just awful.”

Yes. But misery loves company, so send your check to me and I’ll help you bear the pain.

As for the topic at hand, does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? Since I’ve retired, not me.

Big Mike ayon kay ...

The trade off is always the inconvenience of commuting home from work in the dark, versus school kids in rural areas standing, vulnerable, alongside narrow, country roads in the dark. I doesn’t take very many dead schoolchildren for me to vote for keeping things just the way they are.

hanuman_prodigious_leaper ayon kay ...

Add codicil to Dobbs for DST decided by States

Big Mike ayon kay ...

Althouse prefers the subtlety of Democrats promising free this and free that.

Arashi ayon kay ...

For the love of dog, just pick one, either standard time or daylight time and stop the twice a year switch. It is way past time to end the foolishness of "saving daylight" so some sod can play golf at 10 PM and still have natural light to do so. Plus, if you cannot grill in the dark, turn in your man card and sell the grill.

Zavier Onasses ayon kay ...

"If Republicans win the House of Representatives and the Senate in the 2026 Midterm Elections, I’m going to give all Adult Citizens in the United States of America, $5,000...."

Just Awful. Agreed. With Democrats in control of the Country, I expect every Non-Citizen - man, woman, and child - will receive $500,000 in goods and services.

Zavier Onasses ayon kay ...

As to DST, makes more sense to go permanently *off* DST. Just set it and forget it. As an old flight engineer once said to a young Captain, "Works good, lasts a long time, if ya don;t fluck with it."

Peachy+2 ayon kay ...

Fall Back - is enjoying lighter earlier. Tho it's winter - the days get shorter. No amount of time shuffling, can change that.

Trump should sell if as: "Fall Back to Standard Time and keep that hour forever. Forever is a long time. A really long time."
Help the kids out, man.

Do it for the children.

Scottyaz ayon kay ...

Ann is always trying to act like a moderate, but in this "just awful" post, we all get to see her inner "libtard". Right Ann? you believe the government is better at spending our money.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

There's nothing to stop a state from repealing DST. So if these "fine gentlemen" live in California, Florida, or NY, why don't they just bribe the State governments to repeal it?

They get the state legislators to do almost anything. They come cheap.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

We got rid of DST once before. There's a reason why we went back. And someone doesn't like driving home from work in the dark - work at home. Or get your boss to start the day at 7 AM - you'll be off work at 330.

Mary Beth ayon kay ...

My school system began court-ordered busing in 1975. This meant kids had to take a bus to a bus to a local school and then some of them would transfer to another bus to go across the county. To allow for all of this travel time, we were at the bus stops long before sunrise. It's still the same, with some kids having a morning pickup time before 6:30am. When the time changes, that will just mean it's starting to get light when they get picked up, but there will now be other kids whose afternoon (evening) drop off will be after dark.

Whether kids are out there in the dark in the morning or in the evening seems like a non-issue to me.

Two-eyed Jack ayon kay ...

Nobody likes a sudden, disadvantageous change. Why would we? Nature gives us a gradual change, but rather than adapt, we insist on government action, then resent that governments runs out of sunlight to shove our way.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

most HS schools don't start till 8 or 830, and end 6.5 hours later. Our elementary school was 9-3. Nobody should be going home from school in the dark unless it was a special case.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

Nobody likes change. So why change unless its neccesarry?

john mosby ayon kay ...

Stuck in the 20th century. Or maybe the 19th, when time zones were created to make railroad timetables easier. Some 21st century solutions no one seems to be looking at:

With a supercomputer in everyone’s pocket, we could have micro-local solar time, and just let apps calculate when you have to travel, get on your zoom call, etc.

Conversely, you could keep standard time all year round and - gasp! - let businesses, local government bodies, etc, decide whether or not to change their hours. Maybe one school board wants to change hours in the winter, but another one doesn’t. Even under the current regime, there seems to be no such thing as a 9-5 day anymore. Every entity has slightly different hours.

Really the latter method could be put into practice right now. But people and institutions are lazy and would rather let government make a decision, then complain about it. CC, JSM

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

Most of the "change" in my lifetime has been purely volunatary and done because the elite wanted it. Defacto Open borders, mass immigration, wars in the Middle east, Letting the banksters get us into a financial crisis, massive defecits, high tech monopolies, affirmative action, etc. etc.

None of this "Change" was neccessary. And you can throw in busing. which is now a non-issue because we have voluntary defacto segregation. You don't need "Busing" when Detroit is 90 percent black. Or when all the white kids in [insert big city] go to private schools or have fled.

john mosby ayon kay ...

Construction workers start way early - 5 or 6 AM. In the summer, this gives them half the day before it really gets hot. They don’t change for the winter, mainly because year round the early start gets them out of traffic. A lot of construction workers live way out in the ruburbs to get the most house for their money, and really need clear roads so they don’t spend half the day commuting. So DST, EST, MOUSE, doesn’t matter that much to them. CC, JSM

gilbar ayon kay ...

the WORST part of the "going home in the dark",
is that the friday before it was light.
nature loses a few minutes a day,
daylight "savings" loses an hour in ONE SECOND

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

I had a job once where in the winter, I literally left home in the dark, went into an office building and drove home in the dark. Even though I was young and full of beans, and coming home to my wife, it was still a drag.

Jim at ayon kay ...

Darkness at 4:15 in the afternoon sucks.
The end.

rhhardin ayon kay ...

The school bus dropped me off a mile from my house, reached by a walk through an unlighted forest in an adjacent neighborhood. It struck me as cool.

Jim at ayon kay ...

*Oh, I've already spent my $5K on Trump coins.*

Good for you. Isn't it nice when nobody else is telling you how you should be spending YOUR money?

rhhardin ayon kay ...

The $5,000 is mysterious. Obviously pandering to democrats. Republicans are already voting for him.

Temujin ayon kay ...

I'm a Trump voter and I agree with Ann that this is pretty awful. But it's also typical Trump. I love much of what he has gotten done. I love that he's his own man and...bizarre as he is, it's what keeps him able to do his thing and not just be a typical politician.
But on things like this...I wish he'd cut the crap. I, personally, hate daylight savings time. I see no need for it. The time is what it is. Days get longer going toward June and shorter going toward December. Always have, always will. Changing the time only makes it inconvenient- or dangerous- depending on what you do and if you function early in the day or later in the day. Just end the damn thing.

And the offering of $5,000 a person from a nation so thoroughly in debt is both slimy and inconceivably wrong. All politicians offer free things to get elected. Others have offered checks. It wasn't right then, it's not right now.

Jim at ayon kay ...

*I hate Daylight savings time. It's for pussies.*

Yes. We know. You've made it clear at least a thousand times. Because - on this subject - it's all about you and everybody else can go to hell.

We get it already.

tcrosse ayon kay ...

Having been retired for so many years, I can only pity those who are still slaves to the clock.

Peaceful warrior ayon kay ...

It’s totally normal for politicians to promise perks like tax cuts, subsidies, or new programs. The challenge is the math. With our enormous deficit, handing out $5,000 to every adult is far from giving money back to the taxpayers. We can safely assume it would be funded by still more borrowing.

Whiskeybum ayon kay ...

Trump to kids going to school in the dark: “I’d like to help you son, but you’re too young to vote.”

n.n ayon kay ...

It's too hot, too cold, too light, too dark, the climate is changing. Goldilocks syndrome.

Lawnerd ayon kay ...

Rhhardin- I am a registered Republican and have always voted Republican in the past, but not this time. The bullshit war in Iran is the last straw. Plus Tom Tiffany makes my skin crawl. $5000 for everyone if Republicans win is awful. It will add 1 Trillion to the deficit and like the free money the government gave away during Covid it will fuel inflation. But Trump now says inflation is good and will take care of the 40 Trillion deficit that and increased fuel costs are no problem.

Lazarus ayon kay ...
Naalis ng may-ari ang komentong ito.
Breezy ayon kay ...

Is the $5k tax exempt? Lol

I have no dog in the DST dilemma. I’m retired, kids grown, no grandchildren as of yet. Plus, our flesh and blood labs get us up well before daylight no matter what. So put me down as, “whatever”.

Lazarus ayon kay ...

Whatever is decided, people will be discontented. Will Congress even know what they are passing and what its effects will be? Does anybody really understand Daylight Savings Time anyway? And to understand what's in the bill, Congress would have to read the bill, and they never have the time to do that, what with all the fundraising and meetings with lobbyists.

Mason G ayon kay ...

"I am a registered Republican and have always voted Republican in the past, but not this time."

Vote for the communists, then. That'll show 'em.

n.n ayon kay ...

A tableau of very distinct persons, a diversity of individuals, minority of one.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

DST if for pussies. If those 6 year old boys were real men that'd love being hit by cars.

Original Mike ayon kay ...

"I am a registered Republican and have always voted Republican in the past, but not this time."

Another life long Republican.
You need a new schtick, this one's been taken.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

Why I support 200 billion for Ukraine, endless Trillions for war in the middle east, and running up trillion dollar deficits for God knows what, giving everyone 5K is beyond the pale.

That's communism boy!

"Billions for the Billionaires. Not one cent for the peasants". Or so I was told in US history class.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

As a "life long Republican" i support George Bush, Mitt Romney, helping big business, and cutting deals with Chuck Schumer. And telling anyone who makes less than 200k a year to go to hell. The damn losers.

I look forward to our sweeping to victory in 2018. And if we dont, well the main thing is we keep open borders and get more cheap labor. And keep chuck schumer happy.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

And of course by 2018 i mean 2028. Because "real republicans" don't care what decade it is. Our principles are timless.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

"Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute" was said by an antisemite. How could any real American disagree with Billions of Tribute to our imperial masters - Israel.

Mason G ayon kay ...

When it comes to setting the time on clocks, it seems like this would be a good starting point:

"Astronomical (Solar) Noon: The exact instant the Sun is at its peak elevation and bisects the meridian (due south in the Northern Hemisphere, due north in the Southern Hemisphere)."

Once you introduce time zones, there will obviously be only one longitude in each time zone where it's possible to do that, everyplace else will experience 12PM on the clock slightly before or after Astronomical Noon.

The greater the departure from this approach, the more distorted sunrise and sunset times become. How much of a distortion is acceptable? Depends who you ask.

Josephbleau ayon kay ...

When I worked in underground mining in winter I went to the hoist house in the dark and when I went up at the end of the shift it was dark. It scared me to death, it was so scary that I I I, considered becoming a Democrat.

RCOCEAN II ayon kay ...

I always wondered what "dark money" in politics meant. And now I know.

Clyde ayon kay ...

IEE was correct that 1974 showed what happened when we went to "permanent" DST, and people didn't like it and the experiment quickly ended. This is probably the first time that I've agreed with IEE on anything, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Put me down in the "permanent Standard Time" camp.

lonejustice ayon kay ...

Trump is the reason why the Republicans will lose the House and Senate in the mid-terms. It's all because of Trump. The Trump haters with TDS are highly motivated to come out and vote. And they will. Trump and MAGA will not come out to vote like they did in 2024, because Trump is not on the ballot, and because they are worried about inflation, high grocery prices, high beef prices, high gasoline and diesel prices, and Trump's stupid war with Iran. If we had a President Rubio or DeSantis right now, we would be coasting to victory in the mid-terms.

Eva Marie ayon kay ...

Also, bring the penny back

lonejustice ayon kay ...

Every time Trump does this shit he just fuels the fire for people to vote against Republicans. I was a paid political consultant for a decade before practicing law, and one election truth I learned early on is that it is much easier to get a voter to vote AGAINST a candidate than it is to get a voter to vote FOR a candidate. That is why negative campaign ads are so prevalent. And Trump falls right into this trap. With all of Trump's stupid, bombastic, idiotic posts, he gives people, who might otherwise vote Republican, a reason to either stay home on election day, or, God forbid, vote Democratic.

Eva Marie ayon kay ...

So negative ads work but Trump shouldn’t go negative.

Mason G ayon kay ...

"he gives people, who might otherwise vote Republican, a reason to either stay home on election day, or, God forbid, vote Democratic."

"I really would like to vote Republican but Trump sucks so I'm voting for the communist candidate."

Sure, that happens a lot. I'm told.

Eva Marie ayon kay ...

Were you a consultant on the Romney campaign?

Eva Marie ayon kay ...

That was one hell of a campaign. A+
Candidate lost but that’s not the point. Great camoaign.

Jim at ayon kay ...

*With all of Trump's stupid, bombastic, idiotic posts, he gives people, who might otherwise vote Republican, a reason to either stay home on election day, or, God forbid, vote Democratic.*

Well, that would certainly explain why McCain and Romney swept all the swing states and won the popular vote, wouldn't it?

Yes. You were a paid political consultant. In Iowa. A state that didn't turn reliably red until you were no longer fucking it up with your advice.

Eva Marie ayon kay ...

Republicans should run as gentlemen.

Mason G ayon kay ...

Republicans don't try to kill their political opponents. That seems gentlemanly, don't you think?

ForestwithouttreeS ayon kay ...

Another thrilling brewers game in the sunlight

Maynard ayon kay ...

rhardin at 3:29

Yup. We have managed our money/lifestyle issues well. We are not going to be impressed with a check for $5k.

It is like the ridiculous covid checks.

Rustygrommet ayon kay ...

Not an issue if you work inside all day. There were no windows in our section of the plant.

FullMoon ayon kay ...
Naalis ng may-ari ang komentong ito.
Marcus Bressler ayon kay ...

What politician has never promised something that in all likelihood will never happen? Trump does it, and OMG, it's
"awful". Try to use another word.

Smilin' Jack ayon kay ...

“Who were these guys? AI billionaires? I'm more concerned about children forced to get to school in the morning while it's still dark. Guys in their cars feeling melancholic... that's not a hot political concern.”

Surely you’re joking. AI billionaires make political contributions. Children don’t even vote.

Curious George ayon kay ...

"I'm more concerned about children forced to get to school in the morning while it's still dark."

They all take buses.

Mr. Forward ayon kay ...

The answer is obvious. Shorter school days.

rcommal ayon kay ...

[start virtual italics]most HS schools don't start till 8 or 830, and end 6.5 hours later. Our elementary school was 9-3. Nobody should be going home from school in the dark unless it was a special case.[end virtual italics]

Since when? Well, I imagine that things vary from place to place, but in my experience, spending (in different, split times) about 1/2 of my life in the Midwest (Indiana, Illinois, Iowa) and 1/2 in the MidAtlantic United States***, this was absolutely not the norm. High-schoolers started much earlier, and younger kids later.

This, of course, is the basis of the argument that this should be flipped, because most younger children are naturally earlier risers and it makes more sense to match their earlier, natural cycles. For teen-agers, it makes more sense for them to go later, because their natural cycles at the stage of life is later.

In my case, back in the 1970s, my middle and high school start times ranged from 7:05 to 7:35 in the morning. (It shifted back and forth a bit when the state was grappling with court-ordered, county-wide bussing for desegregation purposes.) The younger kids started between an hour and 1/2 hours later.

I think these things vary, but rcocean's blanket statement did not and does not apply *everywhere.*

***There was an anomaly in a chunk of my elementary years, because in the schools in my very small Illinois town, there was no cafeteria and not even a lunchroom where one could sit and eat a lunch brought from home. We all had two, rather than one, roundtrip per day. For this reason, times were shifted and the lunch break was elongated to allow kids who lived up to a mile from home to walk back and forth and still have time for a very quick lunch (my mom often just greeted us at the door with a sandwich and a piece of fruit to eat on the way back; nope, most parents emphatically did not drive their kids back and forth at a mile or less).

We lived at the 1-mile mark, so we got some great exercise each and every day. When we moved to the East Coast at the start of my 5th-grade year, we ended up only a block and a half from my school, and I almost immediately began to gain some weight, LOL. Alas.

Note: I have lived in Florida going on 5 years, so that's the only thing that gives the East Coast an edge in terms of where I've lived all my life, alternating. But I'm a senior citizen now and really don't pay attention to local start and stop times, so I'm comfortable not counting that.

boatbuilder ayon kay ...

"And the offering of $5,000 a person from a nation so thoroughly in debt is both slimy and inconceivably wrong. All politicians offer free things to get elected. Others have offered checks. It wasn't right then, it's not right now."

The Dems offer to take that money from "somebody else" and spend it for you. They never offer to give any of it back.

boatbuilder ayon kay ...

"The school bus dropped me off a mile from my house, reached by a walk through an unlighted forest in an adjacent neighborhood. It struck me as cool."

Me too. It was uphill both ways. Then we had to work in the fields by candlelight.

boatbuilder ayon kay ...

"If we had a President Rubio or DeSantis right now, we would be coasting to victory in the mid-terms."

Oh for chrissake. If it wasn't for Trump, Rubio would just be another out-of-work former senator. All the great stuff that Rubio is doing is because Trump created the conditions for Rubio to act.

And exactly why would the Republicans in congress be cruising to victory without Trump? They haven't done anything except the BBB.

boatbuilder ayon kay ...

Put a rooster in every neighborhood. Everybody goes to school and to work when the rooster says it's time.

rcommal ayon kay ...

I think a lot of time-scheduling for schools has more to do with the schedule of adults, not kids, at least at its origin. Just sayin'.

rcommal ayon kay ...

Oh, and just to be clear? We did NOT walk uphill both ways. It was basically flat. But we did walk in rain and snow.

So get off my lawn, naysayers!

rcommal ayon kay ...

[start virtual italics]"It’s depressing! One of the gentleman stated that, 'I just hate going home in darkness.'"[end virtual italics]

Grow up, dude. Or, in Althouse's phrase, "man up." Sheesh.

bagoh20 ayon kay ...

If getting $5000 back is a bad thing, then it must be a great idea for us all to send in an extra $5000, right?

I support it because it's not spending - it's refunding. I don't need it, and it's less than a week's worth of my federal tax bill. I just think it's a better and far more transparent use of money than leaving it to D.C. People really seem to hate it when a politician tells the truth. This is an honest use for a change. Just awful.

n.n ayon kay ...

Dynamic, inclusive, and equitable (DIE) scheduling. Uh, perhaps reorganized and use a less abortive acronym.

n.n ayon kay ...

The refund is not the problem. The spending is. And without climactic productivity improvements, the deficit will progress, liberally.

RJ ayon kay ...

I well remember the DST experiment. I loved it. For many years I was fooled into believing the "so many kids died in the dark" story, but a deep dig into the traffic statistics I read about two years ago debunked it. There was one horrific accident where several kids were killed or injured, but overall the number of traffic deaths was about the same as the preceding and succeeding years. I think it was a "news media panic" before we got wise to how that works.

stlcdr ayon kay ...

I mean, why can't we all just choose our own time, man. Everyone be happy.

stlcdr ayon kay ...

How much money did people get during COVID? Wasn't the dot-gov handing out checks hand over fist?

stlcdr ayon kay ...

Honestly, I believe the 5k handout is just posturing and will not happen - it's basically a trap for democrats to wail against.

If giving money to citizens is wrong, then....why do we do it?

Ah, but some people need it! I'm sure there's around 99% of the adult population can put 5k to good use. Or are the dems wailing that they wouldn't put it to good use? How about stimulating the economy, and all that, because they keep telling us its so bad...

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.