1 ઑક્ટોબર, 2026

"Adult Lunchables are already everywhere in this world."

"Sophisticate versions of juvenile favorites include: tropical cocktails (grown-up Capri-Suns), burrata (string cheese), any dessert (candy wearing pants), smoothies (basically actual baby food). Tinned fish is a funny one, though, because no kid would actually choose to eat tinned fish. It’s an acquired taste, funky and fusty and a little bit offensive, merely presented in a kid way. And so in that way it’s maybe more like whatever’s going on with all these bows on adult women’s clothing...."

From "I No Longer Have to Make Life Decisions Thanks to My Infinite Tins of Fish/Now I can’t even look at the word t*na" (NYT).

Not familiar with all those bows? One example will get you up to speed: "Demi Moore's Tattered Hot Pink Ballgown Comes With a Truly Giant OTT Bow."

By the way, if they can just use OTT like that — meaning "over the top," I believe — there is at least hope for the end of the Mel Ott era in crossword puzzles.

53 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

Duke Dan કહ્યું...

Bento boxes are just homemade lunchables

Ann Althouse કહ્યું...

The sandwich is a lunchable.

My automatic spell-correcting wants "lunchable" to be "punchable."

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...

What a confusing article. She eats a lot of canned fish and then writes an article telling us how she is sick of eating canned fish and she doesn't like the taste of canned fish. Maybe she should ... stop eating canned fish.

And then she talks about Demi Moore with a giant bow on her dress. How is that like eating too much canned fish? I missed the connection entirely. Because canned fish is childish? But she says canned fish isn't childish. Is it because the canned fish comes pre-packaged like a Lunchable? But not everything pre-packaged is like a Lunchable, especially canned fish.

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...

Is the author making the earth-shaking discovery that preserved food often doesn't taste very good because its not fresh? At the end of the article she makes the equally earth-shaking discovery that making fresh food is a lot of work. And then she tells us you can get someone to make fresh food for you at a restaurant.

What a weird article.

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...

I await the author's next earth-shaking article about how fruit cakes are dry and don't taste very good and that if you eat a lot of fruitcakes you'll get tired of eating them, and they are kind of like kid's food because they have bright colored pieces in them and they remind her of earrings that are brightly colored.

Achilles કહ્યું...

I have single serving containers where I fry some ground beef and onions with salt and pepper and an egg stirred in after first workout every day.

I reuse the glass container though.

Disparity of Cult કહ્યું...

Stur, overpriced grown-up Kool-Aid

Leland કહ્યું...

I always thought a Lunchable tm was just sandwich ingredients in separate bins and a sweet.

Landman Season 3 is done filming. Now just waiting for editing and release to see Demi’s latest.

rehajm કહ્યું...

“…that that gown is gorgeous!” “Thank you…I…I saw it in the window and I couldn’t resist!”

rehajm કહ્યું...

Saltie Girl and Island Creek push the tinned fish. Yuk. When there’s clams and lobster rolls…

Mary Beth કહ્યું...

@rehajm, that bow does have a certain curtain rod look to it!

Marcus Bressler કહ્યું...

The Fresh Market where I shop has a row of tinned fish (lots of tuna, along with mackerel, sardines, octopus (not a fish, but), many mixed with beans or rotini to make them quick "lunchables". Expensive but mostly protein and, I bet, sodium. I don't criticize what other people want to spend their dollars on when it comes to food.

Steve કહ્યું...

Tinned fish finds great pleasure when translated to a sea of nice olive oil with drifts of oregano.

The Vault Dweller કહ્યું...

I want to try to incorporate Sardines into my diet but I'm struggling to find a recipe that looks good to me. I'm not the biggest fish person, but regularly getting those marine Omega 3s would be good. Salmon would be probably be the best nutrition wise but I'm not the biggest fan of it. I do like a good tuna melt sandwich but given the Mercury in tuna I don't really want to make it a weekly thing. I guess I will just have to rely on the ground flax seed and walnuts in my daily salad. A lesser substitute for the Omega 3s but still Omega 3s I guess.

The Vault Dweller કહ્યું...

I always thought of a Lunchable as a kid's charcuterie board. The base is usually crackers, slices of cheese, and slices of meat.

J Scott કહ્યું...

See, to me, it's the opposite, the kids stuff is a copy of the adult versions.

Disparity of Cult કહ્યું...

@The Vault Dweller -- the eggs from hens that are fed purslane are high in Omega 3, not sure on widescale availability. There's also canned mackerel and even cod liver, but de gustibus...

n.n કહ્યું...

LoL (Lots of Love)

n.n કહ્યું...

It's NYT, I read f-ckables. LOL (Laugh Out Loud).

rcommal કહ્યું...

Ah, but Gerda, there are actually wonderful fruit cakes in the world! Nothing like the bricks of joke fame. Oh, no!

My whole view on fruitcakes was changed earlier this century when I stumbled upon Collin St. Bakery, of Corsicana, Texas (a town a little over 50 miles from Dallas).

They are terrific (though sweet, of course) and not what most would expect initially. I'm not even a huge sweets person, but I do recommend these.

For a darker experience (reminds me of old-timey English plum pudding; my mom made them for Christmas time, wrapped in liquor-soaked fabric and all), there's also Gethsemani Farms, connected to an abbey in Kentucky. Also wonderful, if you like darker fruitcakes.

Sorry for the OT, but I just had to proselytize for fruit cakes that break the norm! Pricey, but worth it: a once every year or so treat.

rcommal કહ્યું...

And thank you, Gerda, for reminding me that it's almost time to order for the upcoming holidays!

rcommal કહ્યું...

One more thing: IIRC, I think Collin St. Bakery was featured on Food Network's Best Thing I Ever Ate something like 15 years ago? Well-deserved, in its realm.

Leland કહ્યું...

I’ve been to the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana a few times since that show. It’s on the way to the in-laws. They do sell tons of fruitcakes, but it isn’t their best baked goods. For anyone traveling on I-45 between Houston and Dallas, the bakery is a good stop for a restroom (when open). They also have a bank of Tesla superchargers.

Howard કહ્યું...

You're only going to get therapeutic levels of the right sort of omega-3s from either fish or pills derived from fish or vegan manufactured omega-3s that are the same as the fish omega-3s which are DHA and EPA. The ALA Omega-3 fatty acids from plant material do not have the same therapeutic benefit.

If you look at the actual concentration of omega-3s other products besides the fatty fish, the concentrations are extremely low. This is why understanding math is important. Otherwise get fooled by advertising.

Howard કહ્યું...

Cod lovers are great sources of omega-3s and vitamin D. However, the vitamin A levels are so high. You can't eat your daily recommended allowance of omega-3s without oding on vitamin A. In any event, if you are going to try to get your DHA and EPA omega-3 fatty acids from fish, you better like the taste of cat food.

CJinPA કહ્યું...

"Why do developed nations have to import a constant stream of foreigners to fill basic societal roles?" they ask.

rcommal કહ્યું...

Leland: What's your favorite from them?

RideSpaceMountain કહ્યું...

"I always thought of a Lunchable as a kid's charcuterie board. The base is usually crackers, slices of cheese, and slices of meat."

In Albert Einstein's biography, there are frequent descriptions of his early life pre-and-post marriage to his first wife Mileva Marić. Frequently dinner was bread, cheese, and sausages, almost always purchased the day of because bread, cheese and sausage was pretty standard daily fair for European commoners going back to the dark ages (minus the sausages the further back you go).

If you have European ancestry your ancestors ate lunchables. All of them.

Leland કહ્યું...

I love their cookies. The Cherry Icebox cookies do a great job resembling Bluebell’s Cherry Vanilla ice cream. White Chocolate Macadamia Cheesecake is great too, but whose isn’t?

Leland કહ્યું...

Rcommal, another recommendation is Cooper Farms down the road in Fairfield. They are known for their peaches and all sorts of ways of presenting them. Their various pies are good too.

And for those needing it, they renovated their restrooms, which are available when open.

The problem with both Collin Street Bakery and Cooper Farms is that I actually don’t eat that many carbs these days. Good thing I only get to them about twice a year.

Wilbur કહ્યું...

What have you got against Mel Ott?

He was universally regarded as one of the true nice guys in public life, a class act applauded even in ballparks on the road.

Today a forgotten truly great player, he died at age 49 in a car wreck.

Lazarus કહ્યું...

𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘺 𝘸𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴

I think that was called "edible underwear" in my day -- or maybe that was wearing candy as pants.

From lunchables to bows on dresses to Mel Ott? Is that a Seinfeld stand-up routine? I am prescribing CAT scans for all involved.

David53 કહ્યું...

You could rock that dress Althouse. Do it, you know you want to.

OnwardandUpward કહ્યું...

A stupid look anyway you look at it.

Gusty Winds કહ્યું...

"Tinned fish is a funny one, though, because no kid would actually choose to eat tinned fish." ... Costco has two brands of sardines which are delicious. They're whole and meaty. Six cans for $11.00. Smoked oysters and smoked herring are great too. So is pickled herring. Crackers, cream cheese and tinned fish are underrated. They go great with beer.

Josephbleau કહ્યું...

There is a wide variety of vacuum sealed frozen fish in small portions. Salmon, cod, grouper, red snapper, halibut. Three minutes in the microwave, place on a bed of salad, and apply tartar sauce. No need for tin.

Josephbleau કહ્યું...

That dress is a perfect blend of Gone with the Wind and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Anthony કહ્યું...

Except for tuna, this kid would have gagged at the thought of any other canned fish.

I have never eaten a canned sardine and never will.

My favorite fruitcake (which I rarely ever buy because it's way too much for me to eat).

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

Kids would never eat tinned fish? Of course not. If kids chose the menu they'd eat sweets and cheetos all day.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Gusty Winds - are you from the Netherlands?
That's a very dutch menu.

lonejustice કહ્યું...

Tinned fish is a very real thing in Portugal. My wife and I were in Portugal for a 2 week vacation about 5 years ago when we learned this. Even at restaurants people order tinned fish which is brought to your table and opened by the waiter like someone decanting a bottle of wine. The tinned fish is served with bread, crackers, and assorted toppings. It's considered gourmet food, although my wife and I were quite content with the freshly caught ocean fish.

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

“ "I No Longer Have to Make Life Decisions Thanks to My Infinite Tins of Fish/Now I can’t even look at the word t*na"

Sounds like she hasn’t discovered T*na Helper.

Josephbleau કહ્યું...

“ I think that was called "edible underwear" in my day -- or maybe that was wearing candy as pants.”

Lena says “Ole I got some a dat edible underwear.” Ole says “ Oh I’m so excited Lena what flavor did you get.” “ I gotta the T*na.”

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

A palindrome like SELES is pleasing both aesthetically and the notion that it’s a gift. Early signs that I would later draw for a living maybe.
When we used to do them growing up in DR (Spanish) it was really fun. We only had the aid of El Pequeño Larousse a one-volume Spanish-language encyclopedic dictionary. The dictionary was no good whenever the puzzle would veer into DR culture, lingo and politics. One go to for 1 or 2 letters was the periodic table. After awhile we memorize some.

RideSpaceMountain કહ્યું...

I bet in edible underwear
Demi looks impeccable
None compare

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

I finally finished watching 'The Substance' (2024) a horror flic with Demi More playing a sympathetic monster.
**Spoiler Alert** It took me awhile, maybe because I sensed it was not going to end well for her, despite her pleads.

Rabel કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
Rabel કહ્યું...

"What a weird article."

It was intended to be lightly humorous and it was.

For a change, I actually enjoyed a Times style link.

Rabel કહ્યું...

And I'm grateful for the triggers that were uncharacteristically missing -

Trump
Climate
Jews
Israel
Homosexuals
Transexuals
Polysexuals
Christians
Feminism
Data Centers
Republicans
Diversity
Equity
and etc.

Also, Demi rocks.

Howard કહ્યું...

Is Demi's hot tuna lunchable?

Wilbur કહ્યું...

My wife and I love canned tuna, sardines, anchovies, etc. She likes them on salad. I love homemade tuna salad.

Leora કહ્યું...

The 19th century was filled with fancy sardine servers. https://search.brave.com/search?q=sardine+server+19th+century&conversation=09a1510d361b176241b9ded0a96e9c0746a6
I have one of the pottery ones with a rampant sardine on the top.

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...

I have to agree with multiple people above that fruitcakes can be very good. The ones from Gethsemani Farms are my favorite.

https://www.gethsemanifarms.org/fruitcake.aspx

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.