6 సెప్టెంబర్, 2026

"[W]hen a man suddenly began to shout vulgarities and became violent... two other passengers, relying on zip ties, duct tape and sheer will, restrained the disruptive man until the authorities could board the plane and take him into custody."

I'm reading "Unruly Passenger Is Restrained With Duct Tape During a Flight/The passenger on an American Airlines flight began to shout vulgarities and then became violent on Thursday, the authorities said. That’s when two passengers stepped in" (NYT gift link).
Richard O’Lenick, 53, one of the passengers who restrained Mr. Lundeen, said in a phone interview on Saturday that Mr. Lundeen began to shout racial slurs at one of the flight attendants.... Mr. Lundeen struck the laptop of the man next to him, and then grabbed the man’s throat, Mr. O’Lenick said. When a woman in a seat ahead of the scuffle tried to intervene, Mr. Lundeen started to attack her as well.

That’s when Mr. O’Lenick and Juan Mejia...  jumped into action from their seats two rows ahead.... The self-defense training both men have practiced was vital for the next 10 minutes, as Mr. Lundeen violently struggled, screamed that the plane was going down and bit Mr. Mejia on his hand, Mr. O’Lenick said. 
That’s when a flight attendant brought duct tape, which Mr. Mejia wrapped around Mr. Lundeen’s body and seat, restraining his head as well. “The entire time the flight attendants were present,” Mr. O’Lenick said. “They were advising throughout the process.”

It was up to the passengers, but in the end a flight attendant brought the duct tape. Otherwise, the flight attendants "were present" and "advising." We understand what O'Lenick is saying. 

23 కామెంట్‌లు:

Duke Dan చెప్పారు...

Toxic masculinity, obviously

Peachy+2 చెప్పారు...

duct tape. finally a task it can achieve.

Ice Nine చెప్పారు...

I used to fight more than a bit when I was a kid, right up to high school. Always kind of enjoyed it, truth be told. Since then the wear and tear on knuckles and noses became apparent and I learned and polished the skill of fighting with words. That said, this situation called for it and I'm sure I would have found interceding as they did quite gratifying. Keep cool and try words, but the attack on the woman was a definite reflex "go" trigger. Well done, guys.

n.n చెప్పారు...
ఈ కామెంట్‌ను రచయిత తీసివేశారు.
n.n చెప్పారు...

Women and children, first, in defense, is a traditional order led by men, is not Diversitist, but rather logical, practical, rational.

Eric the Fruit Bat చెప్పారు...

In addition to duct tape, flight attendants also keep on hand vise grips and WD-40.

Rabel చెప్పారు...

"We understand what Lenick is saying."

I understand him to be saying that they were acting with the approval of the airline employees.

Peachy+2 చెప్పారు...

eric - yep. items for the mile high club.

TosaGuy చెప్పారు...

Perhaps the man was having some sort of mental trauma?

Rightfully, no one cares.

Jim చెప్పారు...

One man on the Clancy jury; two men on the plane; three cheers for the patriarchy.

Peachy+2 చెప్పారు...

His hormones were on the fritz.

Anthony చెప్పారు...

I've thought for a long time that alcohol should be banned in airports and flights.

Peachy+2 చెప్పారు...

The photos are incredible. Someone starts shouting 'the plane is going down' - everyone better take it seriously and hope there are at least a few people willing to physically stop the crazy person.

Lazarus చెప్పారు...

I am looking at the photo of Lundeen duct taped into a seat and thinking that if I were in art school this art project would get me an A+.

Not an oldster. చెప్పారు...

O' Lenick.
Get their last names before you fellate them, oh armchair warrior damsel in distress. Daniel Penny overreaction redux. Two guys playing hero escalating, while the glight attendants look on helpless... good plug for their business.
G ad they didn't kill the raycist old man though...
Living vicariously, you are, ann. Don't encourage this. Ppl still living in the real world thank you...

You should take a class though. For protection, of course. So you are ready when the bad guys need subduing...

Original Mike చెప్పారు...

"I've thought for a long time that alcohol should be banned in airports and flights."

God, No.

Smilin' Jack చెప్పారు...

“ "I've thought for a long time that alcohol should be banned in airports and flights."

God, No.”

Ditto that. Alcohol is the only way I can survive modern air travel. I don’t want to have to go back to overdosing Xanax.

Virgil Hilts చెప్పారు...

It might be a hormonal surge (maybe compounder screwed up and the guy accidentally injected say 5x or 10x his weekly TRT dosage). Which makes me wonder - if drastic hormonal imbalance can excuse the killing of your 3 children could it also excuse the making of racial and anti-gay slurs? I'm guessing society says f-no!

Virgil Hilts చెప్పారు...

The guy is a 67 realtor in (Tucson - not a great place even to be a normal person). His life there is over unless he comes up with a hormone-based excuse. He'd have to move to New River.

Aggie చెప్పారు...

'...Mr. Lundeen, who was charged with two misdemeanors, assault in the second degree and disorderly conduct...'

I thought assaulting other passengers and having such violent outbursts mid-flight were a felony offense. No?

loudogblog చెప్పారు...

Duct tape only has one use on an airliner; that's for passenger restraint. That's the only reason that they stock it on airplanes.

Ben చెప్పారు...

Was a pilot for a US major airline. As new hires back in the late 70's we were issued "Flex Cuffs" which were nothing but rather large zip ties and for years I kept in my hat. Never had the opportunity to use them.

D.D. Driver చెప్పారు...

Classic Peachy lol

కామెంట్‌ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.