30 સપ્ટેમ્બર, 2026

What if fecal matter had a dream? What would the people in the dream be wearing?

Just a question I had, trying to read this NYT fashion article, "Fecal Matter Dreams a Fashion Dream/Pregnant women, bodybuilders, punks, family — a heartfelt Matières Fécales show jolts Paris Fashion Week. But what about the clothes?"

That's a gift link — as all NYT links are now — so go over and check out the clothes, know the dream. We're told these clothes "signal... the belief that fashion is more than pretty stuff, it is a form of identitymaxxing."

The show "began with a pregnant woman in a head scarf, baby on her back, and ended with a woman in a gold, asymmetric ruched cocktail dress — two mannequins in bankers’ black suits draped over her shoulders like big game trophies."

Are people saying "identitymaxxing" now? Here's a podcast that uses that word in an effort to advise content creators about what they need to do to succeed: "Identity maxxing is taking over Instagram right now and I’m here for it.... Because we don’t want to simply blend in, we want to create content that resonates and connects with our audience. This looks like sharing pieces of you (aka your identity) that other people can connect with so they see themselves and stop, thinking 'wait, that’s me!'"

You might think it's incoherent: either you should do what is truly you or you should do what draws an audience. But I think the idea is that you prioritize doing what is truly you and you simply trust in the magic the the true you is what draws the audience. 

That's kind of a risk. The downside is that there's not enough to you to interest other people or that they actively dislike this thing that you are. But the upside is, your project becomes intrinsically rewarding and generates its own energy. That's been my experience... for 22+ years.

39 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

Just an old country lawyer કહ્યું...

I want to be unique just like her!

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...

Hey! Look at me! Look at me! I'm being outrageous! I'm being provocative!

Uhm ... no thanks.

Howard કહ્યું...

This hole maxxing bullshit is just another example of grade inflation designed to boost the self-esteem of 900 lb. Weaklings.

Just be yourself. Follow your bliss as Joseph Campbell would say.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

Those clothes are just designed to attract attention. Not like someone would buy one of those outfits to wear to work.

narciso કહ્યું...

They write for the Times

wildswan કહ્યું...

Clothes for rich people in France to make them look as if they were poor Islamic people trying to look like rich Islamic people. Identitymini-sizeing. Minimizing your identity high on the hierarchy of oppression to move up on the hierarchy of the oppressed. The Rachel Dolezul look.

Danno કહ્યું...

The best article on the Fecal Matter fashion show is at ZeroHedge,

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/how-do-you-say-what-actual-fk-french

Looks like iit fits the sponsoring entity as a description.

Lazarus કહ્યું...

This is giving me nightmare flashbacks to episodes of South Park. T

Clyde કહ્યું...

Whenever I see one of these articles about weird fashion, especially when there are pictures of ripped up blue jeans, it always makes me think of the song "Richie and Ruben" by Fountains of Wayne:

They opened a boutique they called "Debris"
Together with some kid from F.I.T
Though later it turned out he never quite
Got his degree

Eleven hundred bucks for a ripped up shirt
That came pre-stained with bleach and black dirt
Seemed just a little bit
Too steep to me - e - e - e - e

https://youtu.be/vpagpZeIeH4?si=Q9B9oEdXs9TRC2MY

n.n કહ્યું...

To one day transmit HIV, a dream in progress.

Randomizer કહ્યું...

They are maxxing and mogging so they can be something-core. Count me out.

"Just be yourself" isn't great advice. Better to figure out what part of you works, and do more of that.

Lazarus કહ્યું...

Now that transplanting fecal matter has become a therapeutic medical procedure I wonder if fecal matter will become a common gift for birthdays and anniversaries. Maybe an investment? Maybe a way of preventing aging? Maybe, if enough poop is exchanged by people of different nations, a path to world peace? Certainly, there are people who are so full of shît that extraction would be required, but if it's all shoveled out, where would we put it?

rcommal કહ્યું...

The problem with the "(x)-maxxing" fad is that it tends to max the bad and absurd as well as whatever good is to be had. I would point to the "law of unintended consequences," except that I'm not sure it's unintended. It certainly is *discarded* often enough.

n.n કહ્યું...

Fecal streams dreams at the Olympics.

n.n કહ્યું...

Fecund lives matter, baby.

Cappy કહ્યું...

That is the shit!

OnwardandUpward કહ્યું...

Wow. Cyclospora opened up a Pandora's box of fecal fetishes.
The Paris "fashion" show is emblematic of the abysmal depth to which our respective Western societies have fallen. BTW, the idea that fashion didn't need to be "pretty" started decades ago with the ripped jeans, exposed seams, ugly-is-in fashion fad that became a trend.

RideSpaceMountain કહ્યું...

"Are people saying "identitymaxxing" now?"

Whoever Max is, I'm sure he's thrilled and probably looks fabulous.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

How appalling. It's a evil Halloween shit show.
Democrats are hunger games.

Amexpat કહ્યું...

For reasons unkown to me, I've long thought that "Fecal Matter" would be a great name for a heavy metal or punk rock band.

Bob Boyd કહ્યું...

"What if fecal matter had a dream?"

In restless dreams, I drop alone
On narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I lay steaming in the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of gold, ruched dress
That looked a mess
Almost a call for violence

RideSpaceMountain કહ્યું...

When "Shoo" won't work, "Scat's" where it's at!

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

I was hoping to see a fecal matter poo costume. That might be clever.
Instead it was mostly Logans Run with some devil-islam/ hate-whitey-man BS.
What is hilarious about the collective universal art-fart left is how they claim to despise wealth - while they proudly hunger games it.

Ice Nine કહ્યું...

“Hey, where the white women at?”

William કહ્યું...

My busy schedule doesn't allow time for reading articles about fecal based fashion shows. I'll just make one observation. Using a baby as fashion accessory? Isn't that some kind of child abuse? Children shouldn't be allowed entry into fashion shows Those clothes are traumatizing.

Temujin કહ્યું...

The fashion shows seem to be regularly like a parade of the most unnecessary people in the world showing off the most ridiculous ideas they've had this year.

On a related topic, I do some volunteer work at a local animal rescue shelter. There's an area that I sometimes work in where there's a laminated Fecal Chart taped onto the surface of a stainless steel work table. That Fecal Chart shows various dog poops and what they might mean, what the next steps should be if the dog your handling leaves one of those dandies behind.
I will certainly forward this article to the medical directors at the shelter so that they can add some of these startling new entries.
We must be on the look out for all types of shit.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ કહ્યું...

𝘛𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.

Customers are usually female high maintenance companions. I call it the trophy wife look.

J L Oliver કહ્યું...

I got a political poll question recently that asked how much of my “identity” was in my politics. It weirded me out.

Iman કહ્યું...

Oh, I can't keep it in, I can't keep it in
I've gotta let it out
I've gotta show the world, world's gotta see
See all the poop, poop that's in me

h/t Cat Stevens

Bob Boyd કહ્યું...

Sometimes it tries to kid me
That it's just a teddy bear
And even somehow manages to pollute the air
And that is when I must beware of the beast in me

Disparity of Cult કહ્યું...

Did they ask Joanna "Pleasant Breeze" Wietrzyk to participate?

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2026/09/its-least-they-could-do-were-already.html

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

“That's a gift link — as all NYT links are now — so go over and check out the clothes, know the dream.”

I’m passmaxxing on that.

Hassayamper કહ્યું...

Art is shit, and so is fashion.

AnotherJim કહ્યું...

This whole incomprehensable article landed on me like a stroke. Confusing and unpleasant. Is it just me?

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

Will Shat at the fashion show, handing out boxes of raison bran to all the uptight fashionistas. "I like your honkie."

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

Maybe add some Purell to the joke if they're actually celebrating the beauty of shit. "Take a bath, France."

loudogblog કહ્યું...

"Are people saying "identitymaxxing" now?"

This is the first time I've seen that word.

I have gotten the feeling lately, that a lot of people are unhappy with the way that everyday clothes are all so boring now. (Especially Zuckerberg's) A part of me think that this actually is a reaction to the tech bro culture, who are notorious for extremely boring, pragmatic clothes. Many people are developing an intense dislike for Silicon Valley culture because they have an intense dislike of the Silicon Valley tech leaders. (And the impersonal, corporate environment in general)

I know that we've had this type of discussion before, on this blog, about clothes defining people. Like I said, I wore a uniform at work for over 30 years and I felt that it reflected a part of who I was. (Because I was so dedicated to my job.) But I also like to dress flamboyantly sometimes. When Covid hit, and we were "working" at home, I always used to put on some costume for the weekly online staff meetings. My DiscoLou outfit was extremely popular with that red satin shirt, Elvis sunglasses and the gold chains.

n.n કહ્યું...

Ma is a wholesome kin-and Newer is a modern term. h/t Costanza

Josephbleau કહ્યું...

“What if fecal matter had a dream? What would the people in the dream be wearing?“

We could ask Mr. Hankey.

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.