Great photos. As for gambling and college football. Amazing how things have changed in my lifetime. I can remember way back when liberal pro-fessors were all upset at all the time and money spent on football. Oh and that terrible Bobby Knight!
And other people outraged that football players were being used as "hired help" when they should be studying in class. Why it was a scandal that star Right tackle joe brokowski didn't show up at class and got an "A" anyway. Or that Jerome Washington went to the NFL despite not getting a college degree.
Now, its all about the greenbacks baby. And the "Liberals" don't give a crap. Gambling, players being semi-pros, ESPN putting the game behind a paywall. Who cares anymore about "Student athlete"?
Just more example of the liberal/leftists being the biggest phonies and con artists ever. Someone used to say that whenever some Politician talked about Jesus you should check to make sure your wallet was still there. Well it goes x10, for libtards talking about "Morality" or "principles".
The Yacht Rock channel on Sirius XM radio includes a show with Al Roker of Today show fame. On today's show he said that when he turned 70 he was depressed because it meant he was that much closer to the end of his life. To cheer him up, his wife booked Earth, Wind, and Fire to perform at his birthday party.
I guess the rich really are different than you and me.
this is the time of year that most Americans see gas prices going down as demand falls and we soon change to winter gasoline, but as of late, we've been seeing a lot more ups- especially for diesel- the fuel that drives the U.S. economy and that may continue..diesel is closing in on a $6/gal national average as wholesale prices surge tonight 13c/gal with new attacks and threats. BUT the real story may be out West- California could blow past $8/gal, and some pumps aren't even built to display what could come next. https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2097116354537025783?s=20
Up in the high desert west of Taos. Walked thru the pinions to an old mine in the hills. Gold? Silver? No, a series of pegmatite intrusions into a somewhat rare metamorphic rhyolite formation that is 1.7 billion years old. The pegmatites brought in large quartz, potassium feldspar, and biotite mica crystals. The mica was valuable for the windows in furnaces that burned coal or wood years ago.
It was there, an adit mine, a horizontal tunnel into the hill. And since I am an old miner I brought a bright flashlight. A great visit underground. I hoped to find some nice quartz crystals but they were pretty picked over. If I had a jack leg drill and 50 lbs of powder I’m sure I could have got some nice vugs, but blm would take them and me.
“If Europe had college football, like we do, they would have a chance against the invaders. Help preserve College Football. It's our only hope.”
I read somewhere that as the allies advanced in Europe during WW II the Americans had a significant advantage because they’d all grown up playing baseball, and thus knew how to throw a grenade. The Germans threw like girls because they’d grown up playing soccer, and kicking isn’t very useful in armed combat.
I gave a ride to a couple of private plane pilots after they landed at Athens-Ben Epps Airport and in course of talking about how big college football is in the south, they related a story of a dying pilot school that was about to be shut down for lack business. The flying school happened to be in a big college football town. When a college student showed up interested in flying lessons who happened to be a kicker for the football team. Word got back to the football program and it wasn't long before they figured out that flying lessons could be a tremendous recruitment tool. College football saved the flying school... or maybe they took it over. I don't know exactly.
I was watching Caribbean cricket last night and they have done the same things as baseball, changed the rules a little bit to shorten the match, and allow challenges in the same way as baseball, or so it seemed. The match was in Barbados vs St Lucia, and it was worth the watch for the pleasure the crowd took in the game. Indian cricket is enjoyable too, they actually allow hot cheerleaders, for one thing. Not sure if I can recommend cricket to baseball fans, it took me being stuck alone after work for six months with nothing else to watch, but it’s basically the opposite of baseball, runs are cheap and getting a guy out brings the crowd to its feet.
The deposit was very similar to what you find in Spruce Pine NC. The roots of the Appalachians. But in that case the feldspar was valued for sanitaryware. There was a large industry of urinals, toilets, sinks, and shower tiles there which supported a lot of previously poor families.
Then comes ww2, where radios were critical for small units to call artillery fire. And the transmitters needed an oscillator to generate radio frequency. In order to have accurate frequency and stability, called Q by engineers, they needed large quartz crystals, so Spruce Pine, and Hot Springs Arkansas were mined by old simple people to provide the materials to win the war.
this is the time of year that most Americans see gas prices going down as demand falls and we soon change to winter gasoline, but as of late, we've been seeing a lot more ups- especially for diesel- the fuel that drives the U.S. economy and that may continue..diesel is closing in on a $6/gal national average as wholesale prices surge tonight 13c/gal with new attacks and threats. BUT the real story may be out West- California could blow past $8/gal, and some pumps aren't even built to display what could come next.
And everyone knows that Democrats will raise gas prices higher any chance they get.
I was on my high school football team. It helped with the girls. I was second sting and my girl friends were second string. In social rank but the best in intelligence.
College sports should require every department from physics to literature to participate..
Why? It has nothing to do with amateur sport - or with the college, really. Universities sponsor professional teams. Why do they do that, and why should we preserve the practice?
In the previous sentence I said... “If Europe had college football, like we do, they would have a chance against the invaders."
We need strong men (and women) to defend the nation and our way of life. College football and the military is where these men (and women) we need are grown.
I see college football and the military as two sides of the same coin.
I kept forgetting to post this and now I'm rearing to fix that.
Wikipedia: "Constance Margaret Fisher (née Sirois; March 26, 1929 – October 1, 1973) was an American serial mass murderer. Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, she killed three of her children in Maine in 1954. After spending several years in a mental institution, she was released, only to kill three more of her children in 1966.
Deemed unfit to stand trial, she was hospitalized at the Augusta State Hospital, from which she managed to escape in 1973, but died in an accident shortly afterwards."
"College sports should require every department . . . to participate."
Whatever for?“
I said that in a fit of pique. To emphasise that college is not a commercial operation, but should provide regular students an opportunity to combine and use their skills to represent the school, rather than a corporatized multi million dollar fake extravaganza.
Smilin Jack: "I read somewhere that as the allies advanced in Europe during WW II the Americans had a significant advantage because they’d all grown up playing baseball, and thus knew how to throw a grenade."
When I started in the Army there were lots of VN veterans. One told me there was a guy in his platoon who had been a minor league baseball player. They made him the grenadier: gave him all their grenades, which he kept in a bag, and then hurled accurately at enemy concentrations the other guys identified.
In hindsight, I see several problems with this story. Each grenade weighs almost a pound. There's a limit to how many even a pro athlete could carry around in the jungle. No matter how strong or accurate your arm is, you can't throw through trees. The Army had the M79 grenade launcher, with significantly greater range than even the strongest right fielder, plus flechette rounds that turned it into a big-bore shotgun.
Lem: "College football and the military is where these men (and women) we need are grown."
College football involves not even 100 men out of a school's thousands. For the rest, it's an excuse to get drunk and chant.
I guess if football is the spearhead and money-printer of a program that includes lots of varsity sports, to take participation up to a double-digit percentage, plus intramurals, rec sports, and (horrors!) PE classes to get the rest of the student body active, then maybe so. That's the model of the military academies, and used to be the model of the Ivies. CC, JSM
--- "Deemed unfit to stand trial, she was hospitalized at the Augusta State Hospital, from which she managed to escape in 1973, but died in an accident shortly afterwards."
“this is the time of year that most Americans see gas prices going down as demand falls and we soon change to winter gasoline, but as of late, we've been seeing a lot more ups- especially for diesel- the fuel that drives the U.S. economy and that may continue..diesel is closing in on a $6/gal national average as wholesale prices surge tonight 13c/gal with new attacks and threats. BUT the real story may be out West- California could blow past $8/gal, and some pumps aren't even built to display what could come next.”
Crude prices continue to decline in this country, and around the world, though we benefit more than once. Prices at the pump remain stubbornly high, especially in CA. Why is that. Because CA is rapidly shutting down its remaining refinery capacity. They have their own unique requirements for gasoline and diesel. So cant just bring it in from other states. We haven’t built a new refinery in this country for decades. At least under Trump that is starting to change, with construction of two new refineries having been started this year, and more to come. Not in CA, of course. Three of its remaining refineries are slated to shut down this year, with no replacements on the horizon.
Z - Cynical P. "Conspiracies Everywhere; What to Do?
1. The “Trump/Russia Collusion” hoax was a complete fabrication and a product of overt coordination between the Hillary Clinton campaign and the DOJ/FBI. It was literally a coup attempt and remains probably the worst political scandal in U.S. history. 2. The Mueller Inquisition went forward even though the entire team knew the issues at the heart of it all were outright fabrications. Mueller’s team’s actual objective was to make it very difficult for Trump to enact his agenda in his first term—that was the real reason for the investigation's existence. 3. The first Trump impeachment was set up via illegal manipulation of whistleblower rules specifically for purposes of allowing a “whistleblower” to go after Trump based on hearsay alone. (And let’s not forget that Trump literally did nothing wrong and it was a perfect phone call, plus the impeachment was genuinely an attempt to coverup the Biden family’s role in preventing a thorough investigation of Hunter’s Ukrainian employer.) 4. COVID almost certainly came from a lab in Wuhan, China, and that’s what the CIA non-publicly believed while all the time we were being called racist conspiracy theorists for believing just that. Now we know. 5. The COVID vaccine was largely untested and the assurances that it was almost 100% effective and safe were outright lies that the CDC and the vaccine manufacturers knew were lies but peddled anyway. 6. January 6th was a Nancy Pelosi set-up that included a pre-planned “insurrection” narrative to be immediately peddled by the Democrat/Media Complex on January 7th. She even had her “filmmaker” daughter there to chronicle the “story” she invented and fostered herself. 7. Hunter’s laptop really was Hunter’s laptop, it was not “Russian disinformation,” and the entire mass media suppressed all reporting on those facts so Biden could get elected. 8. Voting laws such as “No voter ID required,” mail-in ballots, ballot drop boxes, weeks of early voting and “ballot harvesting” all are logically and verifiably practices that reduce election integrity. However, these laws are purposely and specifically designed to make fraud detection virtually impossible. 9. Non-governmental organizations have been the U.S. shadow government, pushing agendas the electorate specifically rejected, and they used a sort of NGO pseudo-money laundering scheme to hide who their true donors were, plus they got tax dollars to spread their woke hate. 10. USAID was a front for using taxpayer dollars to peddle woke policies in un-woke nations, and in many cases funding went to Democrat-run NGOs who received preferential award treatment. 11. An enormous portion of our tax dollars go to fund Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security fraud. 12. Congress is swarming with sex offenders, and we’re not supposed to ask questions. 13. The Southern Poverty Law Center was funding actual hate groups like the KKK, and the 2017 Charlottesville “Unite the Right” rally was coordinated and paid for, at least in part, by the SPLC. The SPLC basically is the fire department that commits arson. 14. The entire United States government (including the U.S. military) weaponized the idea that “white supremacy” was the greatest threat to national security. This was based almost exclusively on reports from the SPLC, who were themselves funding marginalized “white supremacy” movements, thereby creating the threat they claimed to oppose."
Curious if CA taxpayers have ever demanded a cost benefit analysis of their high gas rates. Is there any bang for their bucks wrt whatever that money was supposed to do? If not, they’re complete saps.
I used to be strongly against paying college athletes. Once college coaches started making so so much money, I felt it was inequitable to the players and changed my position.
Jim responded: “I get your point, but the ending didn't impact any bets ... unless somebody will silly enough to take Western Michigan straight up. (+1600 to +2000)“
My point was not that particular game or the spread. My point was the integrity of the officiating and the Big 10 is/was in question.
Althouse’s post about her ITA experience reminded me of something I experienced once unrelated to my brief and occasional migraine affliction. Here’s what I added to the comments on that thread:
**Unrelated to my migraine experiences (which resolved about 1989 and never returned with the impact of those I had in my 20s) but similar to Althouse’s ITA experience was an episode sitting in church before the service and the word “worship” on the Songs for Worship hymnal suddenly became unintelligible. I sounded it out quietly. It didn’t sound like a word I recognized except the homonym “warship” and that thought almost made me LOL. The word just seemed wrong. Within about ten minutes it resolved. The word did not seem wrong or unintelligible any longer. But I remember that feeling every time I see the word. Even now roughly 25 years later.**
I saw that Hunter Biden is launching a meme coin, which brazenly (in my view) features that damned laptop. Oh, ugh!!!! My gut recoils.
Now, I have zero understanding of crypto. If less than zero were possible, I'm there. It's a thing I've never "picked up info and understanding along the way" nor researched at all. Based purely on emotional gut, which I generally try to push aside on principle, this Hunter thing is just hitting me in a very negative way. I'm repulsed.
Does anybody understand crypto here? Can he actually make out like a bandit? And, yes, it disgusts that people would buy this, no matter what their political stripe.
…for me it’s strange to see the leftie bots try and coerce people into believing fuel prices are harming them. The economic impact on households is something that is tangible- people feel it and see it in their kitchen table finances, their checking account, their credit card statement. It is but one data point however while perception is a collection of data points, while fuel prices are a single reference. Employment, inflation, overall economic vigor- does the work phone ring with opportunity? These have favored the worker, like it or not politically…
John Hinderaker (Power Line) extensively quotes an article by Matthew Syed of the London Times. Syed states the Euroweenies have been able to expand their welfare state at the U.S.’s expense. How so? The U.S. has backstopped their defense so they don’t have to. Then came Trump. Now their economic outlook is bleak and really has been for some time.
One salient quote caught my eye: “No EU company worth more than €100 billion has been built from scratch in the last 50 years, while six US firms worth more than €1 trillion have been created in the same period.”
Since the early 2000’s the Lefties have been whining for higher fuel prices to reduce driving on U.S. highways. Well here we are and what’s their response? Whining about affordability of gas prices.
In my senior year of high school, we had about 35 guys come for tryouts. We were a _very_ small school. After the first few games (that we lost), those disillusioned quit, we lost some to injuries and a few quit because they were just not up to the physical aspects of the game. By mid-season, still winless, we were down to 17 players. Many of us had to play both sides: I was a safety on defense and an offensive end (WR). We lost every game, went 0-11 and yet the stands were packed. BTW, we had unbelievably great parties up on the beach dunes afterwards. I used to make a cooler of daiquiris (most girls did not drink beer at that time) and the parties went on to the wee hours. Whoever was left at 2-3 AM wound up at our 24-hour diner for breakfast, a burger, or just good conversation. Unless you got lucky, which wasn't THAT lucky back in the day.
The electoral victory by the AfD party in Saxony-Anhalt stunned German Chancellor Merz.
“Merz said he was searching for explanations, including in his own record: "What fear is there in the population that we may have underestimated?"(Zero Hedge)
Gee, just guessing here, but let’s throw a dart at unfettered immigration.
...totally true when you’re getting defense for free you can expand spending in other places. Since forever I’ve had to suffer euroweenies pontificating the superiority of their welfare states. Until recently my arguments about their lack of defense spending were met with protests. A few months ago I shared a dinner table with some Germans who hooray have been sobered by war too close for comfort…
…the big reason the EU doesn’t build companies is because the EU is hostile to capital investment. Capital flows to where it’s treated best. Despite leftie efforts even now nobody competes with the US’s capital investment engine…
Cubs lost, but Pete Crow-Armstrong hit his 41st homer and stole his 34th and 35th base yesterday against Milwaukee. Only six players in MLB history have hit 40 home runs and stolen 40 bases in a season. PCA will get there and also be NL MVP. I'm going to the game tonight.
Apparently, the thing that isn't a war is, indeed, a war. And it isn't over yet.
Oil prices will drop precipitously, like everything else is dropping (but more!), when we WIN the war with Iran. Three Dollars a gallon, but ultimately, below Two Dollars a gallon. It will all happen quickly, and Iran will never have a Nuclear Weapon. MAGA! President DJT. https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/117232304514057261
slightly misconstrued, but very real and unusual event: Southwest Airlines did not fly fuel into California on passenger airplanes, but instead chartered a massive cargo ocean tanker to ship 12.6 million gallons of jet fuel from Texas to Los Angeles
With crude approaching $100 bbl, everything is awesome!
Trump is sort of right. Stocks are high because companies are making big profits. They are making profits partly because people are spending a lot of borrowed money. If you make borrowing money more expensive, or if the government stops borrowing so much, people will spend less and companies will make less money. So in order to keep the stock market high, make borrowing cheaper, and keep running deficits. It's perfectly logical if you think about it. It's just that it assumes you can go on borrowing for ever -- a familiar motif in Trump's spectacular career as a serial bankrupt.
6% fiscal deficits. At some point taxes have to rise and you won’t be able to take it from your tired, poor and huddled masses. You’ll have to take it from the well off and corporates. The US economy has come to resemble a giant leveraged buyout: pile on debt, use it to inflate asset values and reward the owners of equity by lowering taxes on capital and the rich, leaving much of the population with the leverage and the bill. Good luck.
IEE just notices what the Democrats and Republicans have been doing with the money supply for the last 25 years. And it is of course all the fault of...Donald Trump.
Crude oil prices are actually rallying sharply due to Trump’s war of choice in the Middle East.
For an attorney, the factual due diligence is remarkably light. California has lost refinery capacity, but the claim that three more are shutting down and that Trump has already started two new refineries is fiction. Trump announced one proposed Texas refinery, which was still a project with construction contingent on permits. Even the EIA says the newest U.S. refinery began operating in 2022. Apparently “fact-checking” is now billable by the imagination.
In Afghanistan, women were left to die buried in rubble after recent earthquakes since Shariah forbids men from touching women who are not their relatives. Yet Sharia permits Muslim men to rape women who are not Muslim at least in certain instances. See British grooming gangs.
Some of my best memories from my youth are of playing (pseudo)football with my friends. When teams were chosen in gym class or at the park, I was an early pick. For basketball (gym class only, I never got near a basketball in real life) I was a last choice.
That said, I've spent 73 years not giving much of a crap about sports and I don't think I'll change now.
As for PE in general I was a pretty good wrestler and was once asked by a coach (8th grade) if I'd ever thought about track and field. I had not, and had only a vague idea what that was.
Memphis was the last (I think) big city to require two years of JROTC in high school. (It was mandatory unless, like Ben Shearon, you simply refused to participate--he was not a friend of mine but I remember his stand when I can't name a single star athlete except Charlie Somebody, who was a tiny guy who lettered in the three important sports and was a complete asshole. He later got an Ed.D. I don't know what happened to Ben.)
Anyway, we wore uniforms two days a week and drilled and marched with declawed M1's. We even learned to field-strip and reassemble our rifles in one minute in the dark, like so many of our pappys had before us.
We still had gym class too, and I think it's telling that when the time came for testing under the President's Council on Physical Fitness program rolled around every year the JROTC instructors administered it, not the draft-avoidant college-boy gym teachers. at least some of whom were gay.
A lot of words from IEE on this post. How many, if any, did he write himself? We know he copies other people's tweets word-for-word, with no link or quotation marks, and that he doesn't feel obligated to explain, excuse, or even admit doing so, even when it's proven.
As for the price of oil, here's 'Latinx Adjacent Doctor PhD' on Twitter (link):
"Oil loadings, according to his [@phileeppos] excellent analysis, are at ~95% pre war levels.
"So why is crude up? Pure vibes based trading (it’ll eventually correct)"
See how easy it is to link and use quotation marks, IEE? Would you please either do so, or bugger off to BlueSky and leave us alone? Your kneejerk talking points add nothing but tedium to the conversation here. I suppose in this case they're adding to the vibes, i.e. dishonestly encouraging the false idea that oil will not be coming down with the opening of the Gulf to traffic.
Teh point of all this reminiscing--besides the sheer pleasure of recalling what was actually a good time in my life and giving some shape to memories--is that there was a time and place when boys were expected to be both fit and familiar with some aspects of military service by the time they graduated from high school.
I did pretty well in JROTC and even thought about giving it a third year as a senior, but by 1970 the anti-Vietnam War movement and Kent State had soured our views and we were sporting long hair and lip-fuzz, and some kids were doing lots of drugs.
When I and my friends got to Memphis State in the fall of '71 the compulsory ROTC requirement had been reduced from four semesters to two, with no uniforms or drill.
We still had to take two semesters of PE, and my choices were fencing and camping. (A friend and I signed up for tap-dancing but dropped out after a couple of weeks--that stuff is HARD.. The only other male in that class--a gay black guy--stuck it out, and more power to him.)
I was no more interested in the school sportsball teams there than I had been in high school, though some of friends were.
I did bulk up on beer and pizza though--from 150 skinny pounds to about 210 by my sophomore year.
Anyway, my experience leads me to doubt that forcing the unwilling into athletics in college would be either feasible or effective.
Peachy: "the impeachment was genuinely an attempt to coverup the Biden family’s role in preventing a thorough investigation of Hunter’s Ukrainian employer."
Hunter in his recent flurry of interviews has mentioned how he was at the height of his drug usage during his Burisma board membership, but could always pull himself together for a couple-hour meeting.
rcommal: "I saw that Hunter Biden is launching a meme coin, which brazenly (in my view) features that damned laptop."
This should cancel out any accusations of the Trump family benefiting from crypto, no?
Valero shut down their Benicia refinery in April, 2025, and Philips 66 LA refinery last December. Together, that would be a 17% cut in CA refinery capacity during 2025 alone. There were rumors of a third refinery on the chopping block. In 2007, supply and demand were in rough balance, at about 1,100k bpd. Today, demand remains roughly that of 2007 (~1,000k bpd), but with the closure of those two refineries, refining capacity is now down to below 700k bpd. And people wonder why gasoline and diesel prices are so high in CA (and, unfortunately, AZ and Las Vegas, because they get theirs from CA).
the *live* national average price of diesel according to GasBuddy has reached $5.900/gal, 10 cents away from reaching $6 for the first time ever. https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2097392020926959965?s=20
I am not an attorney. I was an attorney. I am 3 months older than Ann. And have been retired for a number of years now. What’s your excuse for supposedly not knowing well known Information contrary to your positions?
$6 a gallon for diesel will make a great mid-term headline.
I’d add that being short the equity market at the moment is a dangerous game . It is highly likely that Trump will have to declare victory of some sort in Iran ahead of the midterms. At that point the oil price will get spanked down and the high-beta stuff which has been curled up in the corner will spring back to life. Add Anthropic and OpenAI hype to the mix and the blue touchpaper will truly be lit.
@Weevil: If you're able to find a particular comment I wrote today without attribution or a weblink -- feel free to show the citation. If not then you're sounding more like a Karen lately.
Indefinitely Extended Excuses: It's not my job to prove that you copied any particular comment, either from somewhere else on the web, or from talking points provided to you by someone. I have already caught you doing that once, and once is enough to pollute every other thing you post here. If I turn on the light in someone's kitchen and see one cockroach, I feel free to assume there are dozens, if not hundreds, more that I don't see. The fact that you still haven't even acknowledged your previous proven fraud shows that you are a willing and knowing and unashamed fraud, and no one should ever believe that you wrote anything you post here.
It's like the old joke about the Irishman who says "I've helped people move dozens of times, but does anyone call me Joe the Mover? No! I've lent people money dozens of times, but does anyone call me Joe the Lender? No? But I fuck one pig once, and everybody calls me Joe the Pigfucker ever after! It's unfair!"
Once is enough to show what kind of poster you are. The fact that you got caught posting someone else's words verbatim, without quotation marks or link, and still refuse to explain or even acknowledge it, makes you the weblog equivalent of the Irishman: IEE the Pigfucker.
Naw.. It was an entirely defensible, accurate, and really minor observation. And you whining about it says far more about you than me. Similar to closing one eye and arguing you see the world with greater clarity than everyone else. Coming to realize that this a feature not a bug for a lot of Trump's base. It seems to validate a grievance bias. Pretty sobering really. Nihilism on display.
Now this comment looks like an IEE original: it's incoherent. What was the "entirely defensible, accurate, and really minor observation"? The one he copied without attribution? Or something else? Who can tell? The fact is that he still refuses to acknowledge being a Goddamned plagiarist and/or distributor of pre-written talking points. Contemning him for his contemptible unwillingness to write his own comments is not "whining" or Karenish, it's what any decent grown-up would do.
…that brings an interesting point- without california gasoline is less than $4/gal, about $2/gal less than CA on average. it’s $ 3.69 where I am. Not exactly a ‘I’ll vote for the communists’ crisis, especially when consumer spending remains strong, business investment and earnings are still robust, labor markets are steady and real gdp is running over 2 percent…btw private accounts have over $7 trillion in cash atm. That isn’t a sign of stretched household financials…
“the *live* national average price of diesel according to GasBuddy has reached $5.900/gal, 10 cents away from reaching $6 for the first time ever.”
IEE again lies by omission, he refuses to correct diesel price by inflation giving the false inoression that it is higher today in terms of purchasing power that N it was in 2022,how long will he continue this fraud?
No. $5.90 today is still below the June 2022 diesel peak after inflation.
EIA’s weekly national diesel price peaked at about $5.81/gal on June 20, 2022. The CPI-U was about 296.3 in June 2022, versus 333.9 in July 2026, the latest CPI available right now.
Inflation-adjusting the 2022 peak: \$5.81\times\frac{333.9}{296.3}\approx \$6.55
So in 2026 dollars, the old 2022 record is roughly $6.55/gal.
That means a current $5.90 price is about 65¢/gal, or 10%, below the 2022 real peak. The recent reports calling $5.82–$5.90 an “all-time record” are referring to the nominal-dollar record, not an inflation-adjusted record.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
100 komento:
For those of you who participate in sports gambling, I present to you the final second ….. er ….. seconds of the U of Michigan football game.
Great photos. As for gambling and college football. Amazing how things have changed in my lifetime. I can remember way back when liberal pro-fessors were all upset at all the time and money spent on football. Oh and that terrible Bobby Knight!
And other people outraged that football players were being used as "hired help" when they should be studying in class. Why it was a scandal that star Right tackle joe brokowski didn't show up at class and got an "A" anyway. Or that Jerome Washington went to the NFL despite not getting a college degree.
Now, its all about the greenbacks baby. And the "Liberals" don't give a crap. Gambling, players being semi-pros, ESPN putting the game behind a paywall. Who cares anymore about "Student athlete"?
Vonnegut pegged it all in "Player Piano."
Just more example of the liberal/leftists being the biggest phonies and con artists ever. Someone used to say that whenever some Politician talked about Jesus you should check to make sure your wallet was still there. Well it goes x10, for libtards talking about "Morality" or "principles".
"Who cares anymore about "Student athlete"?"
I do, for one. I think the whole college sports edifice is rotten.
*For those of you who participate in sports gambling, I present to you the final second ….. er ….. seconds of the U of Michigan football game.*
I get your point, but the ending didn't impact any bets ... unless somebody will silly enough to take Western Michigan straight up. (+1600 to +2000)
Western was a +27.5 dog and the o/u was 49.5.
But, I'm willing to entertain some theories other than the betting lines.
Betting lines change during the games.
The Yacht Rock channel on Sirius XM radio includes a show with Al Roker of Today show fame. On today's show he said that when he turned 70 he was depressed because it meant he was that much closer to the end of his life. To cheer him up, his wife booked Earth, Wind, and Fire to perform at his birthday party.
I guess the rich really are different than you and me.
Cynical Publius
"I keep coming back in my mind to all of the “conspiracy theories” that have come true since 2016."
Hello I feel so bad because I'm so old.
Cheer up honey, here's one of your favorite bands from 1969.
They're only 57 years old.
If Europe had college football, like we do, they would have a chance against the invaders.
Help preserve College Football. It's our only hope.
If they are good doesnr mattdr how old the band is
this is the time of year that most Americans see gas prices going down as demand falls and we soon change to winter gasoline, but as of late, we've been seeing a lot more ups- especially for diesel- the fuel that drives the U.S. economy and that may continue..diesel is closing in on a $6/gal national average as wholesale prices surge tonight 13c/gal with new attacks and threats. BUT the real story may be out West- California could blow past $8/gal, and some pumps aren't even built to display what could come next.
https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2097116354537025783?s=20
Up in the high desert west of Taos. Walked thru the pinions to an old mine in the hills. Gold? Silver? No, a series of pegmatite intrusions into a somewhat rare metamorphic rhyolite formation that is 1.7 billion years old. The pegmatites brought in large quartz, potassium feldspar, and biotite mica crystals. The mica was valuable for the windows in furnaces that burned coal or wood years ago.
It was there, an adit mine, a horizontal tunnel into the hill. And since I am an old miner I brought a bright flashlight. A great visit underground. I hoped to find some nice quartz crystals but they were pretty picked over. If I had a jack leg drill and 50 lbs of powder I’m sure I could have got some nice vugs, but blm would take them and me.
“If Europe had college football, like we do, they would have a chance against the invaders.
Help preserve College Football. It's our only hope.”
I read somewhere that as the allies advanced in Europe during WW II the Americans had a significant advantage because they’d all grown up playing baseball, and thus knew how to throw a grenade. The Germans threw like girls because they’d grown up playing soccer, and kicking isn’t very useful in armed combat.
I gave a ride to a couple of private plane pilots after they landed at Athens-Ben Epps Airport and in course of talking about how big college football is in the south, they related a story of a dying pilot school that was about to be shut down for lack business. The flying school happened to be in a big college football town.
When a college student showed up interested in flying lessons who happened to be a kicker for the football team. Word got back to the football program and it wasn't long before they figured out that flying lessons could be a tremendous recruitment tool. College football saved the flying school... or maybe they took it over. I don't know exactly.
I was watching Caribbean cricket last night and they have done the same things as baseball, changed the rules a little bit to shorten the match, and allow challenges in the same way as baseball, or so it seemed. The match was in Barbados vs St Lucia, and it was worth the watch for the pleasure the crowd took in the game. Indian cricket is enjoyable too, they actually allow hot cheerleaders, for one thing. Not sure if I can recommend cricket to baseball fans, it took me being stuck alone after work for six months with nothing else to watch, but it’s basically the opposite of baseball, runs are cheap and getting a guy out brings the crowd to its feet.
The deposit was very similar to what you find in Spruce Pine NC. The roots of the Appalachians. But in that case the feldspar was valued for sanitaryware. There was a large industry of urinals, toilets, sinks, and shower tiles there which supported a lot of previously poor families.
Then comes ww2, where radios were critical for small units to call artillery fire. And the transmitters needed an oscillator to generate radio frequency. In order to have accurate frequency and stability, called Q by engineers, they needed large quartz crystals, so Spruce Pine, and Hot Springs Arkansas were mined by old simple people to provide the materials to win the war.
College Football starts in High School. They have a leg up on the military.
Were they simple people?
Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ said...
this is the time of year that most Americans see gas prices going down as demand falls and we soon change to winter gasoline, but as of late, we've been seeing a lot more ups- especially for diesel- the fuel that drives the U.S. economy and that may continue..diesel is closing in on a $6/gal national average as wholesale prices surge tonight 13c/gal with new attacks and threats. BUT the real story may be out West- California could blow past $8/gal, and some pumps aren't even built to display what could come next.
And everyone knows that Democrats will raise gas prices higher any chance they get.
I love pegmatite. I can just imagine those crystals growing.
I guess the Epstein files were a dry hole.
I was on my high school football team. It helped with the girls. I was second sting and my girl friends were second string. In social rank but the best in intelligence.
College sports should require every department from physics to literature to participate..
“Help preserve College Football.”
Why? It has nothing to do with amateur sport - or with the college, really. Universities sponsor professional teams. Why do they do that, and why should we preserve the practice?
This is kind of hokey but it makes a point
https://x.com/ginamilan_/status/2096301423516409968?s=46
“Eva Marie said...
Were they simple people?“
Yes and I am a simple person, who worked his life out to the best he could.
Congrats.
why?
In the previous sentence I said... “If Europe had college football, like we do, they would have a chance against the invaders."
We need strong men (and women) to defend the nation and our way of life. College football and the military is where these men (and women) we need are grown.
I see college football and the military as two sides of the same coin.
I kept forgetting to post this and now I'm rearing to fix that.
Wikipedia: "Constance Margaret Fisher (née Sirois; March 26, 1929 – October 1, 1973) was an American serial mass murderer. Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, she killed three of her children in Maine in 1954. After spending several years in a mental institution, she was released, only to kill three more of her children in 1966.
Deemed unfit to stand trial, she was hospitalized at the Augusta State Hospital, from which she managed to escape in 1973, but died in an accident shortly afterwards."
The more you know, the more we know.
"College sports should require every department . . . to participate."
Whatever for?
"College sports should require every department . . . to participate."
Whatever for?“
I said that in a fit of pique. To emphasise that college is not a commercial operation, but should provide regular students an opportunity to combine and use their skills to represent the school, rather than a corporatized multi million dollar fake extravaganza.
“Hello I feel so bad because I'm so old.”
Get off my lawn, you lousy punk!
h/t Broderick Crawford
“To cheer him up, his wife booked Earth, Wind, and Fire to perform at his birthday party.”
More like Earth, Flatulence and Embers without Maurice White.
Just sayin’…
Smilin Jack: "I read somewhere that as the allies advanced in Europe during WW II the Americans had a significant advantage because they’d all grown up playing baseball, and thus knew how to throw a grenade."
When I started in the Army there were lots of VN veterans. One told me there was a guy in his platoon who had been a minor league baseball player. They made him the grenadier: gave him all their grenades, which he kept in a bag, and then hurled accurately at enemy concentrations the other guys identified.
In hindsight, I see several problems with this story. Each grenade weighs almost a pound. There's a limit to how many even a pro athlete could carry around in the jungle. No matter how strong or accurate your arm is, you can't throw through trees. The Army had the M79 grenade launcher, with significantly greater range than even the strongest right fielder, plus flechette rounds that turned it into a big-bore shotgun.
Still, it's plausible. CC, JSM
Lem: "College football and the military is where these men (and women) we need are grown."
College football involves not even 100 men out of a school's thousands. For the rest, it's an excuse to get drunk and chant.
I guess if football is the spearhead and money-printer of a program that includes lots of varsity sports, to take participation up to a double-digit percentage, plus intramurals, rec sports, and (horrors!) PE classes to get the rest of the student body active, then maybe so. That's the model of the military academies, and used to be the model of the Ivies. CC, JSM
--- "Deemed unfit to stand trial, she was hospitalized at the Augusta State Hospital, from which she managed to escape in 1973, but died in an accident shortly afterwards."
Western civilization hasn't been the same since.
“this is the time of year that most Americans see gas prices going down as demand falls and we soon change to winter gasoline, but as of late, we've been seeing a lot more ups- especially for diesel- the fuel that drives the U.S. economy and that may continue..diesel is closing in on a $6/gal national average as wholesale prices surge tonight 13c/gal with new attacks and threats. BUT the real story may be out West- California could blow past $8/gal, and some pumps aren't even built to display what could come next.”
Crude prices continue to decline in this country, and around the world, though we benefit more than once. Prices at the pump remain stubbornly high, especially in CA. Why is that. Because CA is rapidly shutting down its remaining refinery capacity. They have their own unique requirements for gasoline and diesel. So cant just bring it in from other states. We haven’t built a new refinery in this country for decades. At least under Trump that is starting to change, with construction of two new refineries having been started this year, and more to come. Not in CA, of course. Three of its remaining refineries are slated to shut down this year, with no replacements on the horizon.
Z - Cynical P.
"Conspiracies Everywhere; What to Do?
1. The “Trump/Russia Collusion” hoax was a complete fabrication and a product of overt coordination between the Hillary Clinton campaign and the DOJ/FBI. It was literally a coup attempt and remains probably the worst political scandal in U.S. history.
2. The Mueller Inquisition went forward even though the entire team knew the issues at the heart of it all were outright fabrications. Mueller’s team’s actual objective was to make it very difficult for Trump to enact his agenda in his first term—that was the real reason for the investigation's existence.
3. The first Trump impeachment was set up via illegal manipulation of whistleblower rules specifically for purposes of allowing a “whistleblower” to go after Trump based on hearsay alone. (And let’s not forget that Trump literally did nothing wrong and it was a perfect phone call, plus the impeachment was genuinely an attempt to coverup the Biden family’s role in preventing a thorough investigation of Hunter’s Ukrainian employer.)
4. COVID almost certainly came from a lab in Wuhan, China, and that’s what the CIA non-publicly believed while all the time we were being called racist conspiracy theorists for believing just that. Now we know.
5. The COVID vaccine was largely untested and the assurances that it was almost 100% effective and safe were outright lies that the CDC and the vaccine manufacturers knew were lies but peddled anyway.
6. January 6th was a Nancy Pelosi set-up that included a pre-planned “insurrection” narrative to be immediately peddled by the Democrat/Media Complex on January 7th. She even had her “filmmaker” daughter there to chronicle the “story” she invented and fostered herself.
7. Hunter’s laptop really was Hunter’s laptop, it was not “Russian disinformation,” and the entire mass media suppressed all reporting on those facts so Biden could get elected.
8. Voting laws such as “No voter ID required,” mail-in ballots, ballot drop boxes, weeks of early voting and “ballot harvesting” all are logically and verifiably practices that reduce election integrity. However, these laws are purposely and specifically designed to make fraud detection virtually impossible.
9. Non-governmental organizations have been the U.S. shadow government, pushing agendas the electorate specifically rejected, and they used a sort of NGO pseudo-money laundering scheme to hide who their true donors were, plus they got tax dollars to spread their woke hate.
10. USAID was a front for using taxpayer dollars to peddle woke policies in un-woke nations, and in many cases funding went to Democrat-run NGOs who received preferential award treatment.
11. An enormous portion of our tax dollars go to fund Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security fraud.
12. Congress is swarming with sex offenders, and we’re not supposed to ask questions.
13. The Southern Poverty Law Center was funding actual hate groups like the KKK, and the 2017 Charlottesville “Unite the Right” rally was coordinated and paid for, at least in part, by the SPLC. The SPLC basically is the fire department that commits arson.
14. The entire United States government (including the U.S. military) weaponized the idea that “white supremacy” was the greatest threat to national security. This was based almost exclusively on reports from the SPLC, who were themselves funding marginalized “white supremacy” movements, thereby creating the threat they claimed to oppose."
Bruce- I heard CA runs the major airports with fuel brought in on Southwest jet airplanes. Insane.
CA dems also like to remove water storage. blow up dams.
Chi coms smile. good boi, Newsum.
Curious if CA taxpayers have ever demanded a cost benefit analysis of their high gas rates. Is there any bang for their bucks wrt whatever that money was supposed to do? If not, they’re complete saps.
John, fewer than 100 men are on the football team, but probably half the men at the school play football.
I used to be strongly against paying college athletes.
Once college coaches started making so so much money, I felt it was inequitable to the players and changed my position.
Jim responded: “I get your point, but the ending didn't impact any bets ... unless somebody will silly enough to take Western Michigan straight up. (+1600 to +2000)“
My point was not that particular game or the spread. My point was the integrity of the officiating and the Big 10 is/was in question.
Althouse’s post about her ITA experience reminded me of something I experienced once unrelated to my brief and occasional migraine affliction. Here’s what I added to the comments on that thread:
**Unrelated to my migraine experiences (which resolved about 1989 and never returned with the impact of those I had in my 20s) but similar to Althouse’s ITA experience was an episode sitting in church before the service and the word “worship” on the Songs for Worship hymnal suddenly became unintelligible. I sounded it out quietly. It didn’t sound like a word I recognized except the homonym “warship” and that thought almost made me LOL. The word just seemed wrong. Within about ten minutes it resolved. The word did not seem wrong or unintelligible any longer. But I remember that feeling every time I see the word. Even now roughly 25 years later.**
This thread is so interesting! Got my brain cooking early. Thanks for the variety!
From the NY Post: “OpenAI has reportedly hired Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s daughter Jessica Schumer for a top policy job.”
I am certain she’s highly skilled.
I saw that Hunter Biden is launching a meme coin, which brazenly (in my view) features that damned laptop. Oh, ugh!!!! My gut recoils.
Now, I have zero understanding of crypto. If less than zero were possible, I'm there. It's a thing I've never "picked up info and understanding along the way" nor researched at all. Based purely on emotional gut, which I generally try to push aside on principle, this Hunter thing is just hitting me in a very negative way. I'm repulsed.
Does anybody understand crypto here? Can he actually make out like a bandit? And, yes, it disgusts that people would buy this, no matter what their political stripe.
Not looking forward to today's stock market trading today, by the way. I'm thinking it will be...interesting.
…for me it’s strange to see the leftie bots try and coerce people into believing fuel prices are harming them. The economic impact on households is something that is tangible- people feel it and see it in their kitchen table finances, their checking account, their credit card statement. It is but one data point however while perception is a collection of data points, while fuel prices are a single reference. Employment, inflation, overall economic vigor- does the work phone ring with opportunity? These have favored the worker, like it or not politically…
John Hinderaker (Power Line) extensively quotes an article by Matthew Syed of the London Times. Syed states the Euroweenies have been able to expand their welfare state at the U.S.’s expense. How so? The U.S. has backstopped their defense so they don’t have to. Then came Trump. Now their economic outlook is bleak and really has been for some time.
One salient quote caught my eye: “No EU company worth more than €100 billion has been built from scratch in the last 50 years, while six US firms worth more than €1 trillion have been created in the same period.”
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2026/09/europeans-know-they-need-to-step-up.php
Since the early 2000’s the Lefties have been whining for higher fuel prices to reduce driving on U.S. highways. Well here we are and what’s their response? Whining about affordability of gas prices.
In my senior year of high school, we had about 35 guys come for tryouts. We were a _very_ small school. After the first few games (that we lost), those disillusioned quit, we lost some to injuries and a few quit because they were just not up to the physical aspects of the game. By mid-season, still winless, we were down to 17 players. Many of us had to play both sides: I was a safety on defense and an offensive end (WR). We lost every game, went 0-11 and yet the stands were packed. BTW, we had unbelievably great parties up on the beach dunes afterwards. I used to make a cooler of daiquiris (most girls did not drink beer at that time) and the parties went on to the wee hours. Whoever was left at 2-3 AM wound up at our 24-hour diner for breakfast, a burger, or just good conversation. Unless you got lucky, which wasn't THAT lucky back in the day.
BTW, I weighed 145 lbs in my senior year so that was one reason I got run over by opposing players.
The electoral victory by the AfD party in Saxony-Anhalt stunned German Chancellor Merz.
“Merz said he was searching for explanations, including in his own record: "What fear is there in the population that we may have underestimated?"(Zero Hedge)
Gee, just guessing here, but let’s throw a dart at unfettered immigration.
...totally true when you’re getting defense for free you can expand spending in other places. Since forever I’ve had to suffer euroweenies pontificating the superiority of their welfare states. Until recently my arguments about their lack of defense spending were met with protests. A few months ago I shared a dinner table with some Germans who hooray have been sobered by war too close for comfort…
…the big reason the EU doesn’t build companies is because the EU is hostile to capital investment. Capital flows to where it’s treated best. Despite leftie efforts even now nobody competes with the US’s capital investment engine…
Cubs lost, but Pete Crow-Armstrong hit his 41st homer and stole his 34th and 35th base yesterday against Milwaukee. Only six players in MLB history have hit 40 home runs and stolen 40 bases in a season. PCA will get there and also be NL MVP. I'm going to the game tonight.
𝘕𝘰𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺'𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘤𝘬 𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘬𝘦𝘵 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘺.
Apparently, the thing that isn't a war is, indeed, a war. And it isn't over yet.
Oil prices will drop precipitously, like everything else is dropping (but more!), when we WIN the war with Iran. Three Dollars a gallon, but ultimately, below Two Dollars a gallon. It will all happen quickly, and Iran will never have a Nuclear Weapon. MAGA! President DJT. https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/117232304514057261
slightly misconstrued, but very real and unusual event: Southwest Airlines did not fly fuel into California on passenger airplanes, but instead chartered a massive cargo ocean tanker to ship 12.6 million gallons of jet fuel from Texas to Los Angeles
With crude approaching $100 bbl, everything is awesome!
Trump is sort of right. Stocks are high because companies are making big profits. They are making profits partly because people are spending a lot of borrowed money. If you make borrowing money more expensive, or if the government stops borrowing so much, people will spend less and companies will make less money. So in order to keep the stock market high, make borrowing cheaper, and keep running deficits. It's perfectly logical if you think about it. It's just that it assumes you can go on borrowing for ever -- a familiar motif in Trump's spectacular career as a serial bankrupt.
6% fiscal deficits. At some point taxes have to rise and you won’t be able to take it from your tired, poor and huddled masses. You’ll have to take it from the well off and corporates. The US economy has come to resemble a giant leveraged buyout: pile on debt, use it to inflate asset values and reward the owners of equity by lowering taxes on capital and the rich, leaving much of the population with the leverage and the bill. Good luck.
IEE just notices what the Democrats and Republicans have been doing with the money supply for the last 25 years. And it is of course all the fault of...Donald Trump.
Bruce Hayden wrote: 𝘊𝘳𝘶𝘥𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘶𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘺, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥, 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘸𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘧𝘪𝘵 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘦.
Crude oil prices are actually rallying sharply due to Trump’s war of choice in the Middle East.
For an attorney, the factual due diligence is remarkably light. California has lost refinery capacity, but the claim that three more are shutting down and that Trump has already started two new refineries is fiction. Trump announced one proposed Texas refinery, which was still a project with construction contingent on permits. Even the EIA says the newest U.S. refinery began operating in 2022. Apparently “fact-checking” is now billable by the imagination.
Peachy, well done on your summation. And then let us pause to appreciate the sublime photo number one.
@ Boatbuilder: Bottom line -- we are living beyond our means and expecting our children to pick up the tab.
"Bottom line -- we are living beyond our means and expecting our children to pick up the tab."
Blinding insight from the "Man in the Room™️".
I love the bond markets, they are about the only way to keep politicians and voters in some realm of reality.
IEE's Democrat Party money whore crime syndicate.
One example of thousands.
Confirmed by Grok and Chat.
In Afghanistan, women were left to die buried in rubble after recent earthquakes since Shariah forbids men from touching women who are not their relatives. Yet Sharia permits Muslim men to rape women who are not Muslim at least in certain instances. See British grooming gangs.
I don’t think I want Shariah law here.
Iran War is costing Americans $100B in extra energy costs ~ The Independent
But no atomic bombs for Iran, so there is that.
Funny that Trump's “putting a stop to endless wars” pledge never mentioned Iran's nuclear program.
Don't care.
A confused warrior is a vulnerable one. A stable genius confuses himself before the enemy gets the chance. ~ Don Tzu The Art of War
Some of my best memories from my youth are of playing (pseudo)football with my friends. When teams were chosen in gym class or at the park, I was an early pick. For basketball (gym class only, I never got near a basketball in real life) I was a last choice.
That said, I've spent 73 years not giving much of a crap about sports and I don't think I'll change now.
As for PE in general I was a pretty good wrestler and was once asked by a coach (8th grade) if I'd ever thought about track and field. I had not, and had only a vague idea what that was.
(tbc)
Indescribable Enema Exhibitions ™️ is panicking as he searches for the pony in his self-constructed pile of excrement.
Memphis was the last (I think) big city to require two years of JROTC in high school. (It was mandatory unless, like Ben Shearon, you simply refused to participate--he was not a friend of mine but I remember his stand when I can't name a single star athlete except Charlie Somebody, who was a tiny guy who lettered in the three important sports and was a complete asshole. He later got an Ed.D. I don't know what happened to Ben.)
Anyway, we wore uniforms two days a week and drilled and marched with declawed M1's. We even learned to field-strip and reassemble our rifles in one minute in the dark, like so many of our pappys had before us.
We still had gym class too, and I think it's telling that when the time came for testing under the President's Council on Physical Fitness program rolled around every year the JROTC instructors administered it, not the draft-avoidant college-boy gym teachers. at least some of whom were gay.
I did OK.
(tbc)
Breezy said...
"Curious if CA taxpayers have ever demanded a cost benefit analysis of their high gas rates."
What would it matter if they did? California pols don't much care what the taxpayers think, about anything. That's how one-party states work.
Is this an awkward time to mention that SpaceX's stock price is doing pretty well right now?
@hawkeyedjb - The pols are like that in CA because the taxpayers are complete saps. Chicken, meet egg.
A lot of words from IEE on this post. How many, if any, did he write himself? We know he copies other people's tweets word-for-word, with no link or quotation marks, and that he doesn't feel obligated to explain, excuse, or even admit doing so, even when it's proven.
As for the price of oil, here's 'Latinx Adjacent Doctor PhD' on Twitter (link):
"Oil loadings, according to his [@phileeppos] excellent analysis, are at ~95% pre war levels.
"So why is crude up? Pure vibes based trading (it’ll eventually correct)"
See how easy it is to link and use quotation marks, IEE? Would you please either do so, or bugger off to BlueSky and leave us alone? Your kneejerk talking points add nothing but tedium to the conversation here. I suppose in this case they're adding to the vibes, i.e. dishonestly encouraging the false idea that oil will not be coming down with the opening of the Gulf to traffic.
P.S. The Tweet I linked includes some very useful charts. Check it out.
Teh point of all this reminiscing--besides the sheer pleasure of recalling what was actually a good time in my life and giving some shape to memories--is that there was a time and place when boys were expected to be both fit and familiar with some aspects of military service by the time they graduated from high school.
I did pretty well in JROTC and even thought about giving it a third year as a senior, but by 1970 the anti-Vietnam War movement and Kent State had soured our views and we were sporting long hair and lip-fuzz, and some kids were doing lots of drugs.
When I and my friends got to Memphis State in the fall of '71 the compulsory ROTC requirement had been reduced from four semesters to two, with no uniforms or drill.
We still had to take two semesters of PE, and my choices were fencing and camping. (A friend and I signed up for tap-dancing but dropped out after a couple of weeks--that stuff is HARD.. The only other male in that class--a gay black guy--stuck it out, and more power to him.)
I was no more interested in the school sportsball teams there than I had been in high school, though some of friends were.
I did bulk up on beer and pizza though--from 150 skinny pounds to about 210 by my sophomore year.
Anyway, my experience leads me to doubt that forcing the unwilling into athletics in college would be either feasible or effective.
Two comments on Hunter-related comments:
Peachy: "the impeachment was genuinely an attempt to coverup the Biden family’s role in preventing a thorough investigation of Hunter’s Ukrainian employer."
Hunter in his recent flurry of interviews has mentioned how he was at the height of his drug usage during his Burisma board membership, but could always pull himself together for a couple-hour meeting.
rcommal: "I saw that Hunter Biden is launching a meme coin, which brazenly (in my view) features that damned laptop."
This should cancel out any accusations of the Trump family benefiting from crypto, no?
CC, JSM
@IEE
Valero shut down their Benicia refinery in April, 2025, and Philips 66 LA refinery last December. Together, that would be a 17% cut in CA refinery capacity during 2025 alone. There were rumors of a third refinery on the chopping block. In 2007, supply and demand were in rough balance, at about 1,100k bpd. Today, demand remains roughly that of 2007 (~1,000k bpd), but with the closure of those two refineries, refining capacity is now down to below 700k bpd. And people wonder why gasoline and diesel prices are so high in CA (and, unfortunately, AZ and Las Vegas, because they get theirs from CA).
the *live* national average price of diesel according to GasBuddy has reached $5.900/gal, 10 cents away from reaching $6 for the first time ever.
https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2097392020926959965?s=20
aid...
@IEE
I am not an attorney. I was an attorney. I am 3 months older than Ann. And have been retired for a number of years now. What’s your excuse for supposedly not knowing well known Information contrary to your positions?
Dr. Weevil @ 1:29
Every time the moron post about the market I go and check my Tesla stock,(and now SpaceX), and laugh.
Gas prices are the new Epstein files.
Dr Weevil writes: "𝘚𝘰 𝘸𝘩𝘺 𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘥𝘦 𝘶𝘱? 𝘗𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘷𝘪𝘣𝘦𝘴 𝘣𝘢𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 (𝙞𝙩’𝙡𝙡 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙪𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙘𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙩)"
$6 a gallon for diesel will make a great mid-term headline.
I’d add that being short the equity market at the moment is a dangerous game . It is highly likely that Trump will have to declare victory of some sort in Iran ahead of the midterms. At that point the oil price will get spanked down and the high-beta stuff which has been curled up in the corner will spring back to life. Add Anthropic and OpenAI hype to the mix and the blue touchpaper will truly be lit.
@Weevil: If you're able to find a particular comment I wrote today without attribution or a weblink -- feel free to show the citation. If not then you're sounding more like a Karen lately.
Indefinitely Extended Excuses:
It's not my job to prove that you copied any particular comment, either from somewhere else on the web, or from talking points provided to you by someone. I have already caught you doing that once, and once is enough to pollute every other thing you post here. If I turn on the light in someone's kitchen and see one cockroach, I feel free to assume there are dozens, if not hundreds, more that I don't see. The fact that you still haven't even acknowledged your previous proven fraud shows that you are a willing and knowing and unashamed fraud, and no one should ever believe that you wrote anything you post here.
It's like the old joke about the Irishman who says "I've helped people move dozens of times, but does anyone call me Joe the Mover? No! I've lent people money dozens of times, but does anyone call me Joe the Lender? No? But I fuck one pig once, and everybody calls me Joe the Pigfucker ever after! It's unfair!"
Once is enough to show what kind of poster you are. The fact that you got caught posting someone else's words verbatim, without quotation marks or link, and still refuse to explain or even acknowledge it, makes you the weblog equivalent of the Irishman: IEE the Pigfucker.
"IEEEEEEEEEEE!": what the pig said.
Inexcusable Enema Experiments™️ posts anything and he’s ashamed of nothing.
Naw.. It was an entirely defensible, accurate, and really minor observation. And you whining about it says far more about you than me. Similar to closing one eye and arguing you see the world with greater clarity than everyone else. Coming to realize that this a feature not a bug for a lot of Trump's base. It seems to validate a grievance bias. Pretty sobering really. Nihilism on display.
Now this comment looks like an IEE original: it's incoherent. What was the "entirely defensible, accurate, and really minor observation"? The one he copied without attribution? Or something else? Who can tell? The fact is that he still refuses to acknowledge being a Goddamned plagiarist and/or distributor of pre-written talking points. Contemning him for his contemptible unwillingness to write his own comments is not "whining" or Karenish, it's what any decent grown-up would do.
…that brings an interesting point- without california gasoline is less than $4/gal, about $2/gal less than CA on average. it’s $ 3.69 where I am. Not exactly a ‘I’ll vote for the communists’ crisis, especially when consumer spending remains strong, business investment and earnings are still robust, labor markets are steady and real gdp is running over 2 percent…btw private accounts have over $7 trillion in cash atm. That isn’t a sign of stretched household financials…
“ Gas prices are the new Epstein files.”
Makes me wonder what ever happened to egg prices.
And then, of course, there was that reflecting pool.
“the *live* national average price of diesel according to GasBuddy has reached $5.900/gal, 10 cents away from reaching $6 for the first time ever.”
IEE again lies by omission, he refuses to correct diesel price by inflation giving the false inoression that it is higher today in terms of purchasing power that
N it was in 2022,how long will he continue this fraud?
No. $5.90 today is still below the June 2022 diesel peak after inflation.
EIA’s weekly national diesel price peaked at about $5.81/gal on June 20, 2022. The CPI-U was about 296.3 in June 2022, versus 333.9 in July 2026, the latest CPI available right now.
Inflation-adjusting the 2022 peak:
\$5.81\times\frac{333.9}{296.3}\approx \$6.55
So in 2026 dollars, the old 2022 record is roughly $6.55/gal.
That means a current $5.90 price is about 65¢/gal, or 10%, below the 2022 real peak. The recent reports calling $5.82–$5.90 an “all-time record” are referring to the nominal-dollar record, not an inflation-adjusted record.
Weevil writes: 𝘕𝘰𝘸 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘢𝘯 𝘐𝘌𝘌 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭
Au contraire—I lifted every one of those words and punctuation marks straight from Merriam-Webster.
Pigfucker just can't stop fucking pigs. If only he wouldn't do it in public, we'd all (except him) be happier.
Mag-post ng isang Komento
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.