…to heck with Vogue, today marks the launch of soon to be billionaire Sydney Sweeney’s lingerie line SYRN. Might I recommend something from the ‘birthday boobs’ line…
I will share here, without names, that I am at present helping to care for a longtime Althouse lurker who has just entered hospice care. He so enjoys this blog and commentariat, though his wife says he's not really able to read it now. Thanks for the beauty of sunrise posts like this, and for the lively conversation every day.
The NY post has an article on why the taser didn't stop the Times Knife killer. Basically, the fatter you are the less likely the taser will stop you.
First let me say I'm glad the killer died. So, its not that i'm sad a killer got killed. BUT. Given the standard establishment line is that criminals shouldn't be killed by the police unless absolutely neccessary, and i don't think it was neccessary in this case.
Go look at her photo in post. She was 5-2 and must have been 40 lbs. overweight. She's surrounded by cops. You're telling me not one could've tackled her from behind? And once on the ground, she would've had the upper body strength of 12 y/o boy - knives or no knives.
A guy I grew up across the street from is running for US Senate for the brand new America First party.
The America First party was formed by a Dem operative. He’s a lawyer who works for the Omaha Tribe. His main issue is pot.
The purpose of this party is to siphon votes from low information Republicans so that the Dems can win both the Governor’s race and the Senate.
And it just might work.
My favorite Chuck Conboy story is that he testified on the community standard issue in the last criminal obscenity trial in Omaha. His brother Marty was the prosecutor and he won.
I’ve met Chuck’s wife. She’s much younger and a major exhibitionist. She routinely wears very short skirts in public and she doesn’t wear panties.
And once again we have two standards. If this woman had been black and the cop white, the NYTs and MSM would be howling over "police brutality". But because she's white - we get tabloid coverage in the NY Post and the whole thing will be forgotten tommorrow.
Another example of our overlords not being too bright. I asked for industry standard interest rates on a carryback loan in a real estate deal I'm working on and payment schedule. The answer returned was clearly of by a fact of 10X. When asking how it's superior intelligence could make such a mistake, I was told: " It's one of the most well-known and persistent failure modes of LLMs, and I can explain the mechanics: LLMs don't do arithmetic. There's no calculator, no register holding $14,740,000, no division step. I generate each token (or small token group) by pattern-matching against what's statistically likely to follow. When I "computed" the monthly payment, I was effectively pattern-matching a number that looked like a plausible monthly payment on a large loan."
My computer told me: "I don't do arithmetic". Progress!
🚨 BOMBSHELL: Los Angeles County is STEALING funds from a wildfire relief fund to give up to $15K CHECKS to noncitizens or residents "impacted by ICE raids"
All "without checking the recipient's immigration status"
$5 MILLION has already been redirected 🤯
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
600 days, most LA residents still can't even return to their homes after they were lost to the wildfires
Gulf Coast spot diesel hit a record today. the market is short- buyers bidding up every drop like a housing market with too few homes. the ~$2.50/gal refiner margin isn't a price they set, it's what desperate buyers are paying. higher retail diesel prices coming *coast to coast* https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2094952554161471865?s=20
Not only is IEEE economically illiterate, he is complaining without telling us how Democrats plan to lower the prices. Their economic policies are "kill the pipelines, end drillling, force everyone onto electric, kill the power plants, and set up windmills to kill the birds." How is any of that going to lower fuel prices that Biden swore Democrats wanted to make as high as Europe? If IEEE thinks Trump is the reason for high gas and diesel prices, isn't he supposed to be praising him for achieving a core Democrat policy: making energy as expensive as possible to hurt the middle class?
*Seriously, though. If everything is a hallucination, as expressed here by learned British neuroscientist and professor Anil Seth, the word "hallucination" needs to be... rehabilitated.*
Meaning that everything we see and experience is ultimately projected onto our internal “Plato's cave” movie screen for us to view. These can be real hallucinations generated by the mind de novo out of nowhere, or memories recalled from within, or emotions or thoughts (also within), or sensory input (ostensibly derived from the “external world”). They all appear on that movie screen in much the same form, without much in the way of authentication as to where (which source) they come from.
So Ocean, you want cops to get cut. That's the only conclusion I can draw from your tackle-and-subdue scenario. No matter how short and weak the lady was, she could cut and thrust wildly around her with those knives. Cops would get cut - the only question is how badly.
Also, you are committing the fallacy that knocking someone down on a concrete sidewalk is nonlethal. No, it's less lethal. She could hit her head and die. Exactly this has happened to victims of the "knock em out game." Or, as someone in poor health, she could die of positional asphyxia a la St George de Floyd while struggling on the ground.
There are no perfect solutions. Other than the offender not offending in the first place. CC, JSM
You have to hear the whole dumb CNN argument that it is okay for them to change words to humanize crime they endorse.
"CNN: “But many contribute to the economy...”
Miller: “Ah, the classic argument: crime stops being crime if the person washes dishes or builds roofs. By the same token, the cigarette smuggler ‘contributes’ too, creates jobs in transport. Want us to call him an ‘informal logistics entrepreneur’? Would CNN go for that?”
CNN: “You’re polarizing.”
Miller: “No. I’m rejecting the marketing dictionary. You change the word, then accuse anyone who uses the legal term of being ‘inhumane’. It’s the oldest trick in the book: first soften the vocabulary, then declare moral victory. The United States is tired of this theater. Call it what it is. Or admit the goal was never clarity—it was narrative control.”"
I walked by that The Five the other day and caught that Jessica woman saying something like ‘oh so you’re bringing up that whole replacement theory stuff again’ as she literally waved her stubby arm trying to Yoda Jedi mind trick the whole thing away
Reading the papers this morning, I notice the coverage of the Times Square attack, where a crazy woman stabbed two people, one fatally, before being shot by the police. The NY Times runs with a sympathetic story about the attacker. The WSJ about the victim (a young, female bank VP). Pick your prism.
…just like the scummy attorney arguing the crime if insurrection in front of the supremes those lawyers probably know they’re going to lose might as well use the time to blurt out a few talking points…
Reading thru the Vance-Sayed thread I was impressed by IceNine trying to resurrect credentialism in the post-Arday era as if we didn’t already have solid proof now that more education = less cognitive ability in Academia now. In fact those who hold graduate degrees are twice as likely to approve of political violence as legitimate “speech” as those with only a high school degree. As the Great Dennis Prager often said, “It takes an exceptional amount of education to make someone that dumb.”
**Jamie said...And finally... this is the only blog I've ever read where coincidentally I've known any commenters IRL **
I hope your friend goes peacefully. Good for you for being there for him and his family.
To your other comment, I once had my brother mention a comment I had recently made on Instapundit. I had no idea I knew any other Insta-readers. Fortunately, it was nothing mean spirited. I don't need the family seeing those.
I was forced to go to Casa Bonita last night for a B-day dinner. Never. Again. (as a kid, I loved it so) It smells like stinky old man breath in there now. Too crowded for enjoyment. +the price tag - yikes.
I think Tucker Carlson has succumbed to the dangers of being non-mainstream, the quid-pro-quoism of many on the outs with The Narrative of the Borg. I mean this. When I was struggling against eugenics I found the quid-pro-quoism among those supporting a fringe view very difficult to deal with. I mean that time after time I would find a sympathetic listener and then, when I finished expounding on the current presence of the eugenic societies and the dangers they posed, this sympathetic listener would launch into the threat posed by the dimensions of the Egyptian pyramids or the UFOs or the Big Bankers or paper money or Red Dye #1 or the witches or the Jews. And if I didn't accept the presence of their threat in toto, then support for my warning about eugenics vanished. I concluded they didn't even know what I said, they didn't really look into my painfully gathered evidence and my well-thought-out crucial points, they just knew it wasn't mainstream and so we were alike and they supported me. But their support was conditional: "I'll support your non-mainstream position, if you support mine. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is a true account." "The world is a simulation." Etc. It's very difficult to resist the only "support" you get for months on end. And I think this quid-pro-quoism has engulfed Tucker Carlson. He gave up, or really lost, his mainstream position and instantly was swarmed by sympathetic [antisemites with money and power who were] new supporters [possibly - if he agreed with them.] He should have resisted, Islamic antisemitism is so obviously morally disgusting, but somewhere in him there was a fame-seeker without a real morality and it possessed him. The truth was too slow a vehicle for his lifestyle. "England was far/ And honor but a name."
Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be Conboys ..
In the 1970s, John Kerry was traipsing all over Massachusetts looking for a district somewhere that would elect him to Congress --- because he was John Kerry and of course the state and the country really, really, really needed him in Congress. Kerry and his brother even had a mini-Watergate scandal in the same year as Nixon's.
Now I notice that the Democrat who'll be running for the House seat that Seth Moulton gave up to run against Ed Markey is Dan Koh, who ran for a different seat elsewhere in the state back in 2018. He even kept the same stupid slogan, or maybe he changed it from "Dan Koh, Let's Go" to "Let's Go, Dan Koh" or "Dan - Let's Go - Koh." I hate these district-shopping opportunists.
BREAKING: according to live GasBuddy data, the national average price of diesel has reached $5.680/gal this morning, the highest it has been in 2026 and the highest since July 7, 2022. It's 13.9 cents from an all-time high. https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2095138260141920615?s=20
Vance (12:01am): Please don't call IEE "IEEE". The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers is a fine organization, and several of my relatives have been or are lifetime members. Amusingly, their magazine is called Spectrum and a large percentage of their members are "on the spectrum".
*this is the only blog I've ever read where coincidentally I've known any commenters IRL*
Way back in the early aughts, John Hawkins' 'Right Wing News' had a similar comment section. Not only did I find out I knew some of the commenters, I actually served with one 20 years prior in the USAF.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
५९ टिप्पण्या:
It's an open thread.
…to heck with Vogue, today marks the launch of soon to be billionaire Sydney Sweeney’s lingerie line SYRN. Might I recommend something from the ‘birthday boobs’ line…
Ray Epps.
"It's an open thread."
Good. This is were I'm allowed to hallucinate.
Seriously, though. If everything is a hallucination, as expressed here by learned British neuroscientist and professor Anil Seth, the word "hallucination" needs to be... rehabilitated.
I can't think of another word that has been so maligned and yet mean so much to our sentient existance.
Canada (Mark Carney) doesn't want to negotiate with America until we stop doing memes.
I guess that's it, then.
These pictures are absolutely beautiful.
"rehajm said...
…to heck with Vogue, today marks the launch of soon to be billionaire Sydney Sweeney’s lingerie line SYRN. "
Fantastic young actress, look forward to all he stuff.
I will share here, without names, that I am at present helping to care for a longtime Althouse lurker who has just entered hospice care. He so enjoys this blog and commentariat, though his wife says he's not really able to read it now. Thanks for the beauty of sunrise posts like this, and for the lively conversation every day.
"sentient existance." I like making words sound French.
And finally... this is the only blog I've ever read where coincidentally I've known any commenters IRL - the count stands at 2 as far as I know.
The NY post has an article on why the taser didn't stop the Times Knife killer. Basically, the fatter you are the less likely the taser will stop you.
First let me say I'm glad the killer died. So, its not that i'm sad a killer got killed. BUT. Given the standard establishment line is that criminals shouldn't be killed by the police unless absolutely neccessary, and i don't think it was neccessary in this case.
Go look at her photo in post. She was 5-2 and must have been 40 lbs. overweight. She's surrounded by cops. You're telling me not one could've tackled her from behind? And once on the ground, she would've had the upper body strength of 12 y/o boy - knives or no knives.
A guy I grew up across the street from is running for US Senate for the brand new America First party.
The America First party was formed by a Dem operative. He’s a lawyer who works for the Omaha Tribe. His main issue is pot.
The purpose of this party is to siphon votes from low information Republicans so that the Dems can win both the Governor’s race and the Senate.
And it just might work.
My favorite Chuck Conboy story is that he testified on the community standard issue in the last criminal obscenity trial in Omaha. His brother Marty was the prosecutor and he won.
I’ve met Chuck’s wife. She’s much younger and a major exhibitionist. She routinely wears very short skirts in public and she doesn’t wear panties.
And once again we have two standards. If this woman had been black and the cop white, the NYTs and MSM would be howling over "police brutality". But because she's white - we get tabloid coverage in the NY Post and the whole thing will be forgotten tommorrow.
At least Nebraska isnt stupid enough to have ranked voting. Alaska republicans might lose a senate seat because of that clown show.
To say Chuck Conboy is a clown is an understatement.
"Grok says this is true. Anyone have any information?"
An internet search shows several tv/newspaper reports of the arrest.
September is the nicest month in the Great Lakes region
Another example of our overlords not being too bright. I asked for industry standard interest rates on a carryback loan in a real estate deal I'm working on and payment schedule. The answer returned was clearly of by a fact of 10X. When asking how it's superior intelligence could make such a mistake, I was told:
" It's one of the most well-known and persistent failure modes of LLMs, and I can explain the mechanics:
LLMs don't do arithmetic. There's no calculator, no register holding $14,740,000, no division step. I generate each token (or small token group) by pattern-matching against what's statistically likely to follow. When I "computed" the monthly payment, I was effectively pattern-matching a number that looked like a plausible monthly payment on a large loan."
My computer told me: "I don't do arithmetic". Progress!
Grok got it perfect, but this was Leo AI. Always get second opinions when consulting overlords.
"Dawn Light" sounds like a Heaven's Gate lone lost survivor.
Thanks, Jamie and hello to the lurker-reader. I wish you well.
Then the jury came back from the weekend, and reporters in the courtroom noticed something. At least two jurors were wearing pink. The same pink the mob has worn on the sidewalk for weeks. .
The Babylon Bee @TheBabylonBee
"Suspicions Of Ayatollah's Death Rise After His Name Appears On California Voter Rolls" -- Via Instapundit.
🚨 BOMBSHELL: Los Angeles County is STEALING funds from a wildfire relief fund to give up to $15K CHECKS to noncitizens or residents "impacted by ICE raids"
All "without checking the recipient's immigration status"
$5 MILLION has already been redirected 🤯
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
600 days, most LA residents still can't even return to their homes after they were lost to the wildfires
But now money might be handed out to noncitizens?
California is AMERICANS LAST!
https://x.com/EricLDaugh/status/2093831505701208529
400,000 California Voters Didn't Provide Any ID at Registration
Can't imagine why California is blocking inspection of their voter rolls.
The last picture could be used by Algore to prove that the earth is boiling and we will all die unless we give some people our money.
Gulf Coast spot diesel hit a record today. the market is short- buyers bidding up every drop like a housing market with too few homes. the ~$2.50/gal refiner margin isn't a price they set, it's what desperate buyers are paying. higher retail diesel prices coming *coast to coast* https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2094952554161471865?s=20
Ieeee lies again
the accurate formulation is:
“Gulf Coast diesel hit a record nominal spot price.”
Not:
“Diesel is more expensive in real terms than it has ever been.”
Ieeeee does not understand how to correct historical prices for inflation. Diesel is not at a 2026 dollar high.
Not only is IEEE economically illiterate, he is complaining without telling us how Democrats plan to lower the prices. Their economic policies are "kill the pipelines, end drillling, force everyone onto electric, kill the power plants, and set up windmills to kill the birds." How is any of that going to lower fuel prices that Biden swore Democrats wanted to make as high as Europe? If IEEE thinks Trump is the reason for high gas and diesel prices, isn't he supposed to be praising him for achieving a core Democrat policy: making energy as expensive as possible to hurt the middle class?
*Seriously, though. If everything is a hallucination, as expressed here by learned British neuroscientist and professor Anil Seth, the word "hallucination" needs to be... rehabilitated.*
Meaning that everything we see and experience is ultimately projected onto our internal “Plato's cave” movie screen for us to view. These can be real hallucinations generated by the mind de novo out of nowhere, or memories recalled from within, or emotions or thoughts (also within), or sensory input (ostensibly derived from the “external world”). They all appear on that movie screen in much the same form, without much in the way of authentication as to where (which source) they come from.
@Jamie:
I’m so sorry. I hope he is comfortable. Sending warm thoughts to him and his wife.
So Ocean, you want cops to get cut. That's the only conclusion I can draw from your tackle-and-subdue scenario. No matter how short and weak the lady was, she could cut and thrust wildly around her with those knives. Cops would get cut - the only question is how badly.
Also, you are committing the fallacy that knocking someone down on a concrete sidewalk is nonlethal. No, it's less lethal. She could hit her head and die. Exactly this has happened to victims of the "knock em out game." Or, as someone in poor health, she could die of positional asphyxia a la St George de Floyd while struggling on the ground.
There are no perfect solutions. Other than the offender not offending in the first place. CC, JSM
You have to hear the whole dumb CNN argument that it is okay for them to change words to humanize crime they endorse.
"CNN: “But many contribute to the economy...”
Miller: “Ah, the classic argument: crime stops being crime if the person washes dishes or builds roofs. By the same token, the cigarette smuggler ‘contributes’ too, creates jobs in transport. Want us to call him an ‘informal logistics entrepreneur’? Would CNN go for that?”
CNN: “You’re polarizing.”
Miller: “No. I’m rejecting the marketing dictionary. You change the word, then accuse anyone who uses the legal term of being ‘inhumane’. It’s the oldest trick in the book: first soften the vocabulary, then declare moral victory. The United States is tired of this theater. Call it what it is. Or admit the goal was never clarity—it was narrative control.”"
https://x.com/PauloSpitzbarth/status/2094838964456652936/video/1
The defense attorney for Tyler Robinson claimed in court that “some people found Charlie Kirk’s rhetoric hateful”.
So it’s open season on people you disagree with. I, myself have been labeled a hater. Shameful.
I walked by that The Five the other day and caught that Jessica woman saying something like ‘oh so you’re bringing up that whole replacement theory stuff again’ as she literally waved her stubby arm trying to Yoda Jedi mind trick the whole thing away
Reading the papers this morning, I notice the coverage of the Times Square attack, where a crazy woman stabbed two people, one fatally, before being shot by the police.
The NY Times runs with a sympathetic story about the attacker. The WSJ about the victim (a young, female bank VP).
Pick your prism.
…just like the scummy attorney arguing the crime if insurrection in front of the supremes those lawyers probably know they’re going to lose might as well use the time to blurt out a few talking points…
…like most crime syndicates cutting off the money is really the only way it comes to an end…
Reading thru the Vance-Sayed thread I was impressed by IceNine trying to resurrect credentialism in the post-Arday era as if we didn’t already have solid proof now that more education = less cognitive ability in Academia now. In fact those who hold graduate degrees are twice as likely to approve of political violence as legitimate “speech” as those with only a high school degree. As the Great Dennis Prager often said, “It takes an exceptional amount of education to make someone that dumb.”
All of a suidden it is fall. Almost told myself I should not get out of bed when it is still dark., but will have to get over that.
Honestly, I was surprised how many songs popped up when I searched on "September Sunrise" in my music app.
So ive been sampling suno tracks based on chapters from my novel
You know it’s fall when they start selling pumpkin-everything at Dunkin Donuts.
**Jamie said...And finally... this is the only blog I've ever read where coincidentally I've known any commenters IRL **
I hope your friend goes peacefully. Good for you for being there for him and his family.
To your other comment, I once had my brother mention a comment I had recently made on Instapundit. I had no idea I knew any other Insta-readers. Fortunately, it was nothing mean spirited. I don't need the family seeing those.
Vance @ 1201
He aspires to mediocrity.
Beautiful sunrise sequence
Jamie,
Even when I was most dazed from anesthetics, I liked looking at the sunrise photos. Maybe you could show them to your friend.
I was forced to go to Casa Bonita last night for a B-day dinner.
Never. Again.
(as a kid, I loved it so)
It smells like stinky old man breath in there now. Too crowded for enjoyment. +the price tag - yikes.
I think Tucker Carlson has succumbed to the dangers of being non-mainstream, the quid-pro-quoism of many on the outs with The Narrative of the Borg. I mean this. When I was struggling against eugenics I found the quid-pro-quoism among those supporting a fringe view very difficult to deal with. I mean that time after time I would find a sympathetic listener and then, when I finished expounding on the current presence of the eugenic societies and the dangers they posed, this sympathetic listener would launch into the threat posed by the dimensions of the Egyptian pyramids or the UFOs or the Big Bankers or paper money or Red Dye #1 or the witches or the Jews. And if I didn't accept the presence of their threat in toto, then support for my warning about eugenics vanished. I concluded they didn't even know what I said, they didn't really look into my painfully gathered evidence and my well-thought-out crucial points, they just knew it wasn't mainstream and so we were alike and they supported me. But their support was conditional: "I'll support your non-mainstream position, if you support mine. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is a true account." "The world is a simulation." Etc. It's very difficult to resist the only "support" you get for months on end. And I think this quid-pro-quoism has engulfed Tucker Carlson. He gave up, or really lost, his mainstream position and instantly was swarmed by sympathetic [antisemites with money and power who were] new supporters [possibly - if he agreed with them.] He should have resisted, Islamic antisemitism is so obviously morally disgusting, but somewhere in him there was a fame-seeker without a real morality and it possessed him. The truth was too slow a vehicle for his lifestyle. "England was far/ And honor but a name."
wildswan - wow. Well done.
I'd add - the Islamic lobby is well funded.
Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be Conboys ..
In the 1970s, John Kerry was traipsing all over Massachusetts looking for a district somewhere that would elect him to Congress --- because he was John Kerry and of course the state and the country really, really, really needed him in Congress. Kerry and his brother even had a mini-Watergate scandal in the same year as Nixon's.
Now I notice that the Democrat who'll be running for the House seat that Seth Moulton gave up to run against Ed Markey is Dan Koh, who ran for a different seat elsewhere in the state back in 2018. He even kept the same stupid slogan, or maybe he changed it from "Dan Koh, Let's Go" to "Let's Go, Dan Koh" or "Dan - Let's Go - Koh." I hate these district-shopping opportunists.
Lazarus - WE have one of those district shoppers in Colorado Springs. of course it is a democrat.
The party of corruption and deception.
BREAKING: according to live GasBuddy data, the national average price of diesel has reached $5.680/gal this morning, the highest it has been in 2026 and the highest since July 7, 2022. It's 13.9 cents from an all-time high. https://x.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/2095138260141920615?s=20
Vance (12:01am):
Please don't call IEE "IEEE". The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers is a fine organization, and several of my relatives have been or are lifetime members. Amusingly, their magazine is called Spectrum and a large percentage of their members are "on the spectrum".
*this is the only blog I've ever read where coincidentally I've known any commenters IRL*
Way back in the early aughts, John Hawkins' 'Right Wing News' had a similar comment section. Not only did I find out I knew some of the commenters, I actually served with one 20 years prior in the USAF.
*She’s much younger and a major exhibitionist. She routinely wears very short skirts in public and she doesn’t wear panties.*
Pictures ... or it didn't happen.
टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.