9 સપ્ટેમ્બર, 2026

September 9th is the anniversary of the sunrise project here on the Althouse blog.

The traditional celebration is to post my favorite sunrises of the year. Here they are, in chronological order. Click through to see the precise date. 

IMG_3756

IMG_4204

IMG_4710

IMG_4753

79194043635__811AD887-F242-4E24-957A-CD759CA0633F

IMG_5859

IMG_5917

IMG_5958

IMG_6047

IMG_6181

IMG_6348

IMG_6477

IMG_6467

IMG_7375

IMG_7509 (1)

IMG_0185

IMG_0390

IMG_0580

IMG_0563

33 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

Wow, what great photos. And not painted with a penis.

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

I like them all, but 6467 is my favorite because it reminds me of a hiking trip in Mississippi. Without the humidity and snapping turtles.

Fritz Schranck કહ્યું...

Thanks so much for continuing this series!

Ann Althouse કહ્યું...

It's the 7th anniversary. We've gone out nearly every day.

Kep Hartman કહ્યું...

Beautiful photography! I admire your persistence.

Achilles કહ્યું...

I used to downplay sunrises. But they are important.

So much of our health and physiology and productivity is tied into watching the sunrise and being active in the morning.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Lovely lovey lovely

Dr Weevil કહ્યું...

Speaking of anniversaries, today is the 50th anniversary of Mao Ze Dong's arrival in Hell. I wish I'd known earlier and picked up a little something at the liquor store to celebrate the occasion. There's at least one (British) politician on Twitter who refuses to admit that he did more harm than good in the world.

rcommal કહ્યું...

A lifelong night owl, I have (shockingly) over the last year or so morphed into a very early riser and a much-earlier to bed-er. I'm seeing sunrises IRL now, and so I enjoy your Sunrise Project even more, especially since I usually don't see those until the morning after you post them.

Kudos to you and Meade.

mccullough કહ્યું...

In person, I favor the sunrises & sunsets around the fall equinox.

But for the photos on this blog, I enjoy the winter ones. They cheer me up during the darkest time of the year.

Ann Althouse કહ્યું...

Winter is the prettiest, I believe. Not only do we get beautiful skies, but the frozen lake is more interesting and reflective than the liquid water. Also, when the leaves are off the trees, we have more vantage points. Leafy trees are more beautiful in the daytime, but bare trees do a better job of framing the sky.

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

You’ve accumulated some great photos over the years. You should look into getting them published. Would make a great coffee table book, especially for Madisonians.

MadisonMan કહ્યું...

Beautiful images. I'm wondering how much computer space they are consuming.

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

nice

Humperdink કહ્યું...

Posted in Canada:

“Mark Carney is amazing! My refrigerator used to only hold $175 of groceries but it now holds over $400! I don’t how he does it but I definitely plan on voting for him again…….

Sydney કહ્યું...

I like the second one. I’ve always been partial to the deep blues.

Sydney કહ્યું...

I like the second one. I’ve always been partial to the deep blues.

Lamont કહ્યું...

Truly beautiful. Hudson River School.

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

“I used to downplay sunrises. But they are important.”

Yes. It’ll be sad if someday the sun doesn’t rise. No pretty pictures. And, of course, we all die.

Left Bank of the Charles કહ્યું...

Beautiful!

Aggie કહ્યું...

Nature continues to amaze, and so do these photos.

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

3rd from the top down. Best in show.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

Genius work, Ann.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

These photos are really the trademark of the Althouse blog.

TickTock કહ્યું...

Some real beauties in there.

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

I am a big fan of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10, 11 and 12.

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...

If you let AI choose the best photos, how much overlap would there be?

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...

Homeric epithets for Dawn:
Rosy-fingered Dawn
Early-born Dawn
Saffron-robed Dawn
Golden-throned Dawn

tim maguire કહ્યું...

My favorite is the 3rd one--Nov 2, 2025. It reminds me so much of the opening graphic on BBC programs (Parliament building reflected on the Thames) that I can't look at it without hearing the music.

tim maguire કહ્યું...

Found it.

Clyde કહ્યું...

All are beautiful, but #14 is my favorite from this group. The colors on that one are turned up to 11.

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

Yeah, 14 is freaky. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Depends on my mood. Sometimes I am like, "14, you are awesome." And it's spooked me at least twice.

Satan Rising
Mao on the Move
It's Just Molten Lava Bouncing Off Clouds, Relax

Dude1394 કહ્યું...

I would love to share this post because they are beautiful and a testament to perseverance , except for the idiotic first comment. Is there any way I can do that.

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.