१७ सप्टेंबर, २०२६

"His 'cosmic jumper,' a young man in bell bottoms traversing the globe in giant strides, became an emblem of modern youth, eager to explore the far reaches of inner and outer space."

"Barefoot and surrounded by puffy clouds and chubby birds, the jumper appeared on the 10-cent stamp commissioned for Expo ’74, the conservation-themed World’s Fair in Seattle. In 'The Universe of Peter Max,' a memoir published in 2013, he wrote: 'My cosmic art subjects were always euphoric: Himalayan sages levitating under a shower of flowers beside snowcapped mountain peaks; faces and flowers exploding into a symmetrical cosmic butterfly; mirrored lakes and waters with a cascade of stars and planets; flowers in perpetual states of organic growth, begetting blossoms. My inspiration came from the new youth movement in America and in return spoke to it.'"

From "Peter Max, Trippy Artist of Counterculture Era and Beyond, Dies at 88/With work that breathed the spirit of the 1960s, he became fabulously wealthy from licensing his paintings and posters in all their euphoric Day-Glo glory" (NYT gift link).

Things were so much more colorful when we were young in the 60s, and Peter Max was a big part of it.

Look around at all the gray, white, and black and remember when everything was over-the-top colorful. Mourn the loss of everything that was Peter Max. RIP.

१४ टिप्पण्या:

Leland म्हणाले...

Between him and Thomas Kinkaid, they filled the art galleries of cruise ships everywhere, and if you would like to have free champagne, you can attend the auction to buy your own print of their work.

Gerda Sprinchorn म्हणाले...

The 1974 10-cent stamp you say. I wonder how many you would need to send a letter today? I wonder what the price of a first-class stamp is nowadays. Wow, its been a long time since I mailed a letter. They used to help you out with how much it cost by putting the price right on the stamp. They don't do that anymore. Remember when stamps had prices on them? I remember ... just barely. Remember when you had to buy some 1-cent stamps to add to the regular stamp when they raised the price? I think I remember, but I'm nut sure. It may be a false memory.

Gerda Sprinchorn म्हणाले...

In case you were wondering, the Post Office introduced the "Forever Stamp" in 2007. So now I don't feel so bad that I can barely remember when stamps had prices on them.

Mike (MJB Wolf) म्हणाले...

I remember copying him in first grade. Of course I didn’t know it was him then. I just really liked the colorful style, the bright magenta and orange, the movement implied in the people. Simultaneously to this was a new environmental awareness that at the time we called the “ecology movement.”

That’s a cooler name than “environmentalism.” At the time ecology didn’t seem like an **ism** but it was the precursor.

Ficta म्हणाले...

Expo 74 was in Spokane, not Seattle! I went to it. I was 10. It made quite an impression on me. It was a very 1970s experience.

Howard म्हणाले...

I recall going to the world's Fair in 1974. I don't remember Peter Max but I remember the introduction of IMAX and I specially build IMAX theater. It all took place in Spokane, not Seattle.

Jaq म्हणाले...

I agree that it was cool at the time, but if it were still going on, I have to think that it would be a bit cloying..

Howard म्हणाले...

I was more of a Leroy Neiman fan of the brightly colored illustration genre of the day.

OnwardandUpward म्हणाले...

Black or earthy neutrals make up the fashionable color palette today. And they are boring. Bring on the color!

Lazarus म्हणाले...

Leningrad 1991: you could feel the end was near when Peter Max got a show at the Hermitage.

Ann Althouse म्हणाले...

You have to remember him in the 60s, not the later monetization. And it wasn't just him. It was all the mod clothing and decorations, The Beatles and "Yellow Submarine" — so much color. Everything is so drained of color now. It's gloomy!

Howard म्हणाले...

I thought contemporary art remained colorful based on my last visit to MassMOCA, then I realized that the below work started in the 60's, proving Althouse right. Perhaps the bright colors were inspired by the popular availability of color TV.

Sol Lewitt at MassMOCA

Jaq म्हणाले...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock#/media/File:Woodstock_poster.jpg

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

Far out, Man.

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.