Really? I don’t see many cranes but out days are thick with herons. The light is low bur there’s something about the head/beak proportions and the wingspan that make me declare conclusive….and while I believe Ann a moron for Strunk and Whiting headlines I shall remain consistent and recognize the benefit to the headline regardless of species…
Very strange news story: the chief software engineer for the NYT games apps was shot and killed in Dublin, California, apparently by his in-laws. From his pic he seems Eurasian; from their names the in-laws seem Chinese.
It has been five or six weeks since the big storm here that left 140k without power for days or weeks. The city has done a loyt of repair and cleanup, and individuals have cut down a lot of damaged trees, but on our street and within a few blocks only one out of seven or eight streetlamps are working.
Makes the nightly walks much more challenging, even with flashlights.
In avian affairs, we haven't seen any hummingbirds in almost a week.
O Mike and other star-gazers Ever see Andromeda Galaxy? Certain times of the year if the conditions are right - it can be seen. I have not. yet. It's a goal.
Even without streetlamps there's a lot of light pollution that makes it hard to see anything but Luna--at least with my poor eyesight. My wife points at things I can't make out, and our western view needs Venus to be pretty high.
O Mike. Finding dark sky isn't easy. But you are right. I was lucky ducky May 2025. In Utah. Staying and an Air bnb in a small town. Walked over to the empty hotel. They had a silo tricked out into an actual observatory. Spoke to the wife at the front desk. She got me in and I wasn't even trying. anyway - just after sunset- bam - Jupiter and its stripes thru the big telescope. He didn't tell me what I would see. I said - that's Jupiter! Yep. So amazing.
I saw Andromeda [M31] naked-eyed (and everything else) from a hot spring in remote Idaho. My wife's (at the time) comment: “But it's so dim!” Indeed it is.
But, contrary to myth, Andromeda isn't the dimmest and farthest away galaxy visible to unaided eyesight. That honor belongs to the even dimmer Triangulum [M33] (also a spiral) galaxy, located in the northern sky not far from Andromeda. I haven't seen it with eyes alone.
As far as Andromeda is concerned, these days I prefer to see it (where you can *see* it) through 10x70 binoculars.
More on the NYT engineer shooting: The NY Post reports he has a checkered past of domestic violence. This consists of a misdemeanor conviction for slapping his child, a police visit to his house when his wife had a bruised arm, and another visit by authorities that revealed a kid alone - in a room.
"Oh, I avert the hell out of my vision :-) You'll never see Cigar or Sombrero naked eye. M33 is supposedly the most distant object you can see naked eye, which is why I keep trying.
I have 3 scopes. Two Dobs, a 15" Obsession and a 12.5" Teeter. The Teeter is a travel scope I take to New Zealand each year. Also a 5" refractor from Tele Vue. The largest amateur scope I've had the privilege to observe with is a 30". That was a treat!"
-------------------------------------- You go to New Zealand EACH year? Super jealous. ------------------------------------------------------------------- thanks O Mike and M McNeil M33.
Peachy - Pretty much every year. We go for the stars.
Now is a good time of year to observe Andromeda (M31), Peachy. It's high up in the evening sky.
You need to get out of the city. The darker the better, but for M31 it doesn't need to be super dark. It's big and "bright" (it's actually dim, but bright compared to other deep sky objects). This time of year, when you go out to the country, go any direction away from the city except west. M31 will be in the eastern sky and if you go west you'll be looking back towards the light dome above the city and that will degrade visibility.
You want to observe after dusk ends (i.e. full dark), currently about 9pm. Later (10 or 11pm) is even better, as M31 will be higher in the sky, which is good. Also, the moon must be below the horizon.
You also need to "dark adapt" your eyes. No lights for half an hour. A dimmable flashlight with a red lens is ideal, but even that should be used sparingly.
Now, finding it. If you have a friend who knows where it is and he's got a green laser to point it out, you're golden. Otherwise, you'll need to find it yourself. I can't help you much here; it's in the constellation of Andromeda, so perhaps a stargazing app on your phone (or, better, tablet). Familiarize yourself with where you'll be searching before you go out and set the brightness on the device to its lowest setting.
You'll want to use "averted vision", when scanning the sky in the correct vicinity; which means don't try looking right at it, look slightly to the side; your eyes are more sensitive slightly off center. And binoculars will be a huge help. If you slowly scan the correct area with binoculars you are sure to find it. It's BIG.
When you write it all down, it sounds like a lot, but it's really not. It's enjoyable, and observing our companion galaxy is a worthy goal. While you're out there, take in the rest of the night sky before the satellites trash it.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
36 కామెంట్లు:
great shots. The wing span photo is very nice.
Beautiful pics!
That looks like a great blue heron to me.
Clyde is correct - it's a Great Blue heron. Neck is too long for a Sandhill.
I will see your great blue heron and raise you a magnificent frigate bird.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnificent_frigatebird
We have blue herons here in the Shenandoah Valley. Magnificent birds.
Really? I don’t see many cranes but out days are thick with herons. The light is low bur there’s something about the head/beak proportions and the wingspan that make me declare conclusive….and while I believe Ann a moron for Strunk and Whiting headlines I shall remain consistent and recognize the benefit to the headline regardless of species…
…our…but…inconclusive…apologies, new phone…
Now THAT is a picture worth posting.
Good job, ann!
Thank you for sharing...
Blue Heron Blvd in South Florida takes you onto Singer Island... special place, the barrier island just north of Palm Beach.
Sandhills are more the field birds, right?
And the herons are the fishers...
….I beg to differ Blogger. I’m timeless…
There are 8 types of herons on Wisconsin. Could be a grey heron.
“You know… I have one simple request, and that is to have Madonna and her dancers with frickin' laser beams shooting out of their asses!"
https://x.com/imfiredup2/status/2104360569415561382?s=46
Very strange news story: the chief software engineer for the NYT games apps was shot and killed in Dublin, California, apparently by his in-laws. From his pic he seems Eurasian; from their names the in-laws seem Chinese.
https://people.com/new-york-times-executive-found-fatally-shot-in-park-77-year-old-in-laws-arrested-12145641
CC, JSM
Lesbian bar story is hilarious.
YouTube: link to video
Iman - that looks like something that would please hell.
Lem -
Wow -thanks. That is wild.
Basically a modern Karl Marx story.
Learned a new Marxist word: "Able-ist"
It has been five or six weeks since the big storm here that left 140k without power for days or weeks. The city has done a loyt of repair and cleanup, and individuals have cut down a lot of damaged trees, but on our street and within a few blocks only one out of seven or eight streetlamps are working.
Makes the nightly walks much more challenging, even with flashlights.
In avian affairs, we haven't seen any hummingbirds in almost a week.
"within a few blocks only one out of seven or eight streetlamps are working."
Stargazing!
O Mike and other star-gazers
Ever see Andromeda Galaxy? Certain times of the year if the conditions are right - it can be seen.
I have not. yet. It's a goal.
Hundreds of times, Peachy.
Never gets old.
Hundreds of times - you lucky duck.
Nah, you just get out and do it.
Even without streetlamps there's a lot of light pollution that makes it hard to see anything but Luna--at least with my poor eyesight. My wife points at things I can't make out, and our western view needs Venus to be pretty high.
O Mike.
Finding dark sky isn't easy. But you are right.
I was lucky ducky May 2025. In Utah. Staying and an Air bnb in a small town. Walked over to the empty hotel. They had a silo tricked out into an actual observatory. Spoke to the wife at the front desk. She got me in and I wasn't even trying. anyway - just after sunset- bam - Jupiter and its stripes thru the big telescope.
He didn't tell me what I would see. I said - that's Jupiter!
Yep. So amazing.
Dark sites can require a trek. My dark site out of Madison is
1-1/2 from home. In the summer, dark is just out the door.
I saw Andromeda [M31] naked-eyed (and everything else) from a hot spring in remote Idaho. My wife's (at the time) comment: “But it's so dim!” Indeed it is.
But, contrary to myth, Andromeda isn't the dimmest and farthest away galaxy visible to unaided eyesight. That honor belongs to the even dimmer Triangulum [M33] (also a spiral) galaxy, located in the northern sky not far from Andromeda. I haven't seen it with eyes alone.
As far as Andromeda is concerned, these days I prefer to see it (where you can *see* it) through 10x70 binoculars.
M33 thread
More on the NYT engineer shooting: The NY Post reports he has a checkered past of domestic violence. This consists of a misdemeanor conviction for slapping his child, a police visit to his house when his wife had a bruised arm, and another visit by authorities that revealed a kid alone - in a room.
So basically 1970s family life.
https://nypost.com/2026/09/28/us-news/nyt-exec-allegedly-shot-by-in-laws-charged-with-child-abuse-in-2025/
CC, JSM
… cranes aren’t really wade fishermen are they? Then again heron rise dun quite cut it…
John,
But how many kids back then had a trans man dad?
Sounds like his ethnic in laws weren't on board with their daughters choice of partner and were abusive on that account. RIP
(How do perfectly passable trans men give themselves away as cis women? They are always still smiling, big smiles... Bio men dont do that...)
From O Mike's link /another thread.
"Oh, I avert the hell out of my vision :-)
You'll never see Cigar or Sombrero naked eye. M33 is supposedly the most distant object you can see naked eye, which is why I keep trying.
I have 3 scopes. Two Dobs, a 15" Obsession and a 12.5" Teeter. The Teeter is a travel scope I take to New Zealand each year. Also a 5" refractor from Tele Vue. The largest amateur scope I've had the privilege to observe with is a 30". That was a treat!"
--------------------------------------
You go to New Zealand EACH year? Super jealous.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks O Mike and M McNeil
M33.
Peachy - Pretty much every year. We go for the stars.
Now is a good time of year to observe Andromeda (M31), Peachy. It's high up in the evening sky.
You need to get out of the city. The darker the better, but for M31 it doesn't need to be super dark. It's big and "bright" (it's actually dim, but bright compared to other deep sky objects). This time of year, when you go out to the country, go any direction away from the city except west. M31 will be in the eastern sky and if you go west you'll be looking back towards the light dome above the city and that will degrade visibility.
You want to observe after dusk ends (i.e. full dark), currently about 9pm. Later (10 or 11pm) is even better, as M31 will be higher in the sky, which is good. Also, the moon must be below the horizon.
You also need to "dark adapt" your eyes. No lights for half an hour. A dimmable flashlight with a red lens is ideal, but even that should be used sparingly.
Now, finding it. If you have a friend who knows where it is and he's got a green laser to point it out, you're golden. Otherwise, you'll need to find it yourself. I can't help you much here; it's in the constellation of Andromeda, so perhaps a stargazing app on your phone (or, better, tablet). Familiarize yourself with where you'll be searching before you go out and set the brightness on the device to its lowest setting.
You'll want to use "averted vision", when scanning the sky in the correct vicinity; which means don't try looking right at it, look slightly to the side; your eyes are more sensitive slightly off center. And binoculars will be a huge help. If you slowly scan the correct area with binoculars you are sure to find it. It's BIG.
When you write it all down, it sounds like a lot, but it's really not. It's enjoyable, and observing our companion galaxy is a worthy goal. While you're out there, take in the rest of the night sky before the satellites trash it.
Clear Skies!
కామెంట్ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.