२८ जुलै, २०२६

Meteotsunami.

"While the Appleton/Menasha tornado was occurring, Lake Winnebago appeared to drop by 1-2 ft at my location near Adella Beach/ Neenah, WI. At 12:29 - likely after the tornado had ended - I observed an unnaturally-long wave approaching from the northeast as the water rushed back into the bay. I moved my vehicle multiple times to stay clear of the rising water which spilled over the bank. I observed flying/falling debris such as shingles, small stick, and a projectile plastic kiddie pool as part of the broader event":

Wikipedia: "Only about 3% of historical tsunami events (from 2000 BC through 2014) are known to have meteorological origins, although their true prevalence may be considerably higher than this because 10% of historical tsunamis have unknown origins, tsunami events in the past are often difficult to validate, and meteotsunamis may have previously been misclassified as seiche waves" 

१४ टिप्पण्या:

rcommal म्हणाले...

Dang! That's really something.

Although very different, it does remind me of the some of the floods we experienced in Iowa (Quad-Cities), when we lived just up the street from the Mississippi, the railroad tracks, and River Drive. When water wants to rush, it really rushes, and, boy, is it ever mighty.

I hope everyone's OK up there!

Mr. D म्हणाले...

Wow. The damage in Menasha is substantial - the storm hit a part of town that has a lot of older housing stock and the results speak for themselves. Lake Winnebago is an odd lake, too - it has a huge surface area but it's only 21 feet deep at the deepest point - it's a giant mud puddle, so it doesn't surprise me that you can get that kind of effect.

Chuck Roadkill म्हणाले...

Sounds like a Seiche. Occasionally occurs in the Great Lakes - Erie especially..

Richard Dolan म्हणाले...

Weather only a duck could love, and it seems that they did.

lonejustice म्हणाले...

The ducks appear to be enjoying the waves.

Curious George म्हणाले...

"Chuck Roadkill said...
Sounds like a Seiche. Occasionally occurs in the Great Lakes - Erie especially.."

Erie is very shallow, and also runs West to East. There was a pretty severe seiche within the last few years.

Michael Fitzgerald म्हणाले...

When the ocean went past its usual boundaries during a storm we used to just call it a "storm surge". That was back in normal times before obligatory social media hysteria-humping, and before formerly respectable professions like meteorology started employing provocative descriptives like "bomb cyclone" and "polar vortex" to explain ordinary but infrequent weather events.

Aggie म्हणाले...

Nature is awesome, and so are the videos.

I was sitting on a beach south of Corpus Christi in the mid 80's, taking a break from a gas well that was having problems and was waiting on equipment. And I noticed a wave coming in, nothing spectacular, maybe a foot tall, but almost straight up and down. But it was a single odd-looking wave on an almost perfectly calm day. And it came in on a straight line stretching both ways up the beach as far as I could see. It stood up a little more vertically as it approached the beach, hit the beach and that was it, event over. Watching the news later that night, I learned about the big earthquake in Mexico City, over 8 on Richter, and made the connection.

Lem Vibe Bandit म्हणाले...

I put this video up on r/CrazyFreakingWeather. Thanks for posting. I hope the owner, whom I credited, wont mind.

Lem Vibe Bandit म्हणाले...

I mind, the saying "won't mind".
If they find out, won't they be "mind it" at that moment?
Isn't everything that is coming to my attention, causing me to mind it?
Maybe it would be better to say, 'they wont be bothered'.
But, I suppose it's not that common to say 'I hope they won't be bothered' because, if they won't be bothered, then it would be a little bothersome to say 'they wont be bothered, when just saying they 'wont mind', will do.

Sometimes, maybe most times, conveniently brief is best.

Fritz म्हणाले...

The duck seems unconcerned.

Heartless Aztec म्हणाले...

Paging Ben Gravy...

john mosby म्हणाले...

Matteo Sunami would be a great fake name to give out in bars. "Si, bay-bee, io sono Matteo Sunami. I am the how do you say?...tidal wave of luuuv..." CC, JSM

Peachy+2 म्हणाले...
ही टिप्पणी लेखकाना हलविली आहे.

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.