August 2, 2021

"I’m not someone who gets hired to play in a lot of cinema, but by being able to do a superhero movie, I can make a movie about something I really care about."

"I have a vision for the whole totality of 'Aquaman.' There are environmental issues that I get to put into it. So while you’re going, 'Oh yeah, it’s just this popcorn movie,' I’m like, 'Well, I get to open people’s eyes to things that are important to me.'"

Said Jason Momoa, quoted in "Jason Momoa Is Bummed About Hollywood’s Attitude Toward Action Movies" (NYT).

I have zero interest in superhero movies, but if the movie stars are inserting their political issues into them, I've got 2 more reasons not to be interested: 1. Political issues have been inserted, and 2. The stars are somehow empowered to put issues into the movies.

"I get to open people’s eyes to things that are important to me"... leave my eyes alone. If I want to figure out what to think about the environment, I'll seek out my own sources, and it surely won't be a superhero movie with issues inserted by the movie star.

But I acknowledge that popular films are powerful vehicles of propaganda, and they can push beliefs into pliable minds, especially the minds of the young. I would never say, "Oh yeah, it’s just this popcorn movie." It has phenomenal power, and we are all tremendously vulnerable. I say all, because we don't have to see these movies to be affected by the state of mind of our fellow citizens.

3 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

Wilbur writes:

"This is a matter which affects or afflicts me as much as any in our culture - this notion that persons in the public eye, whether athletes or entertainers, have "a platform" with which they can educate the public about what we really, really need to know.

"How can they be blind to the fact that the business they are in is wholly dependent on the goodwill of their consumers, the public in general? It's the presumption of self-importance that staggers me, but it is also part and parcel of what I've mentioned for years on this blog: that for the Left, the personal is always political. A more socially destructive construct is hard to imagine.

"TV ratings for the NBA, MLB, NHL have fallen off a cliff. Even the NFL ratings are way down. It couldn't happen to a nicer group of people."

Ann Althouse said...

Kay writes:

"It seems like all super hero movies though already carry a political message. A very heavy-handed pro-America message. I think they’ve replaced the war movie, as super hero movies are probably as less offensive to the international markets, which are crucial markets for Hollywood today. These films are drenched in ideology and propaganda already."

Ann Althouse said...

Assistant Village Idiot writes:

"I also noted his phrasing that what he wants is to "open people's eyes" to his issues. It is a very typical arrogance, that "If you would just pay attention and learn a couple of things, then you would just have to agree with me. It's so obvious."

"I am betting that younger audiences have heard an environmental sermon or two already in their lives."