September 15, 2012

"You start disputing my God, and you've got a problem."

Says a man the filmmaker mocks as crazy. Are the federal authorities calling on the L.A. Sheriff to drag this filmmaker out of his mansion in the middle of the night?

111 comments:

Shouting Thomas said...

So, you gotta ask.

Who in the Obama admin demanded the staging of the not-arrest of the guy who made the anti-Muslim movie?

Will Maher make a movie ridiculing Obama?

Shouting Thomas said...

Steve Sailer has been running posts for the last few days on the media's refusal to criticise, or make fun of Obama.

This bit, in which Lorne Michaels admits that Saturday Night Live has essentially decided to give Obama a pass, is particularly good.

Lyle said...

I've watched the trailer several times now.

It's such a mild insult. In my mind I can think of much, much, much worse insults to Muslims, Islam, and the Prophet Mohammad.

This is all so pitiful.



Moose said...

People that try to use "logic" to define God assume that their minds can encompass what God is. Pretty damned funny to watch people like Bill Maher beclown themselves doing so.

pm317 said...

Who says the video is the culprit here? Both sides are using it to promote their own agenda. The bad people there are using it to encourage the mobs on the street. The bad people (media and Obama WH) here are using it to take cover from their negligence and failed policies. The winners are the people who deliberately planned those attacks and succeeded in killing those diplomats. They are invisible and going scot-free. The current WH is wimpy to even acknowledge that it was an attack because then they would have to do something about it. And they don't want to risk it in an election season. So the story from the media (and the WH) -- nothing to see here, same old, we did something to make them angry, we should not do that.

EDH said...

Maher's take last night was “I think this is the week Mitt Romney lost the election.”

Ross said...

That trailer was so lame and awkward. I didn't even finish it, honestly. It just seemed so stupid. But how convenient that everyone decided to riot about it on 9/11 instead of weeks earlier when it was posted on Youtube.

Shouting Thomas said...

The NY Times gets its article on the non-arrest from Reuters. Opening paragraph:

A California man convicted of bank fraud was taken in for questioning on Saturday by officers investigating possible probation violations stemming from the making of an anti-Islam film that triggered violent protests in the Muslim world.

Those probation violations!

carrie said...

I can't wait until they try to bring Bill Maherin for questioning.

pm317 said...

I dare Bill Maher to make a movie on Islam.

pm317 said...

What is Maher waiting for? Is he a coward and afraid for his life to criticize Islam? He is a professed atheist. So Islam or Christianity both should be fairgame as far ass he is concerned. Why doesn't he make a movie about Islam?

Pastafarian said...

Bill Maher is an asshole. And he's never been even a little funny; his "jokes" are junior high insults directed at political opponents of his audience, evoking clapping, not laughter. Any laughter is feigned, to give him some affirmation.

And did I mention that he's an asshole? He's such an asshole that he not only gives atheists a bad name, he gives assholes a bad name.

That having been said, and I can't believe I'm about to type these words, but: In defense of Bill Maher agggh gaackkk....sorry, I just vomited on my iPad.

In defense of Maher, he's an equal opportunity asshole. He's placed responsibility for Muslim attacks not on Koran burners, but on muslims. He's told them to go home and leave the western world to westerners, and he's mocked things like a Muslim fashion show.

But I'll grant you this: he doesn't go nearly as far attacking Islam as he does the comparatively harmless religion of Christianity. And that's because he's a goddamned coward. I am sick to death of seeing atheism represented by moral cowards and leftist ninnies.

Lyle said...

I bet the South Park boys might go balls to the wall on Mohammad and Islam now.

Shouting Thomas said...

I've recently been friending a bunch of musicians in Woodstock I've known for decades. Most of them are as far left as you can get.

They used to pride themselves on being as furiously anti-establishment as possible.

Now, they pass on postings from groups with names like "I Wake Up Singing Because Obama is President!"

Really. I'm not exaggerating.

wef said...

power worshiping lewinsky press toadying to bullyboy, thug-state cynics -

face the facts, you cozy (for now), servile, sterile, timid gringo betas -

the regime is illegitimate


(other than that, have a nice day!)

CWJ said...

ST, exactly!

During the sixties, the man WAS government. It has fascinated me over to years to see my friends transform from miss trusting, indeed opposing, governmental power, to embracing it.

BDNYC said...

What is going to happen when the angry Muslims figure out that Maher spent a million bucks on Obama's reelection?

edutcher said...

Be interesting, if Dubya, Darth, And Rummy were still in, how this would be playing out.

Of course, they wouldn't have dared try it.

jr565 said...

Pm317 wrote:

What is Maher waiting for? Is he a coward and afraid for his life to criticize Islam? He is a professed atheist. So Islam or Christianity both should be fairgame as far ass he is concerned. Why doesn't he make a movie about Islam?


You could ask the same thing of Crack.

garage mahal said...

What is Maher waiting for? Is he a coward and afraid for his life to criticize Islam? He is a professed atheist. So Islam or Christianity both should be fairgame as far ass he is concerned. Why doesn't he make a movie about Islam?

Bill Maher on Islam

Lyle said...

I kind of want to take my shoes of and throw them at the President.

garage mahal said...

Muslims don't find Bill Maher funny either.

Lyle said...

So George Mahal,

So Muslims can take the half-Jew Maher's insults and not this Coptic-Christian's silly spoof?

Yeah, this just proves how it has nothing whatsoever to do with this film.

Although some Democrats should probably make a citizen's arrest on Maher just to be fair to the Copt filmmaker. It'd be helpful if they could catch Maher when he's with one of his prostitutes.



pm317 said...

garage mahal said...

Aha, you make my case (and I didn't care to watch the video). However, we should make that video go viral, not hidden in a liberal closet so we can blame the next Muslim attack on that video. Hope Obama and co will take Maher for questioning then.

AprilApple said...

...Now, they pass on postings from groups with names like "I Wake Up Singing Because Obama is President!"

The blind faith worship of a president who has driven this nation into the ground.

Pastafarian said...

Garage, your link wouldn't work for me, but I'm sure it will show what I was talking about with my first comment: Maher will criticize Islam.

Mildly. On rare occasions. From the safety of his studio in LA. Christianity, on the other hand, he'll utterly trash and bait daily, despite the fact that the amount of violence, repression, and evil attributable to Muslims in the name of Islam is a million times more severe and common than that attributable to Christians for the sake of Christianity.

Why do you suppose that is, garage?

garage mahal said...

pm317
That clip is from his film Religulous. It was hardly hidden in some liberal closet

pm317 said...

garage mahal said...

Come on.. if it is not the liberal closet, it is the liberal media protection. At some point aren't you intellectually curious why him saying that does not catch the bile of these people? So may be it is not about the videos at all at some level. If that is the case why are they persecuting that unknown, nameless filmmaker?

edutcher said...

If you mean HBO, that's a Lefty closet if there ever was one.

Shouting Thomas said...

garage, that bit improved my opinion of Maher a bit.

I still think he's a boor and an asshole, but at least he's an equal opportunity boor and asshole.

damikesc said...

Maher isn't a troublemaker. He gave Obama a million dollars. People who give Obama a lot of money do not break laws. See Corzine, Jon.

It's such a mild insult. In my mind I can think of much, much, much worse insults to Muslims, Islam, and the Prophet Mohammad.

...such as riots involving people who have never seen it being quite upset that it exists.

garage mahal said...

If you mean HBO, that's a Lefty closet if there ever was one.

Religulous was a film that was seen in American theaters. You can also find it on DVD and on Netflix. As of 2012, it's 15th among the highest grossing documentaries in the US and was the highest grossing documentary of 2008. He ridicules Islam on his HBO show all the time. Why Muslims aren't going apeshit over Maher I have no idea, I'm not a Muslim.

pm317 said...

Arabs and Muslims everywhere have to work on their self esteem. They could take a lesson from the Muslims who live (and by and large) thrive in India (no, don't start talking about Kashmir -- there are 100s of millions who live and prosper along side Hindus all over India). It makes me laugh that no one gives India and its Muslim population(which is close to majority in the world) their due for leading a peaceful and productive life, by and large.

MJ Akbar is a leading Muslim writer, Op-Ed columnist, journalist in India; From his op-ed article::

On the day that terrorists attacked Sri Lankan cricketers, I had a previously arranged speaking engagement at a university in Delhi before largely Muslim students. I began with the suggestion that every Indian Muslim should offer a special, public prayer of thanks to the Almighty Allah for His extraordinary benevolence - for the mercy He had shown by preventing us from ending up in Pakistan in 1947. The suggestion was received with startled amusement, instinctive applause and a palpable sense of sheer relief.

damikesc said...

I love that nobody assumes Obama's incessant spiking of the football in re to OBL was a possible cause of this.

We'll never know since the State Dept has decided it will not discuss it any longer.

Only been about three days now. I guess there really is nothing more to discuss.

Thank God we have a transparent administration now.

rhhardin said...

Any of a thousand generic insult generating programs could much more easily insult the prophet, and absolutely flood the internet.

They haven't. That must mean something.

furious_a said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JohnJ said...

“I still think he's a boor and an asshole, but at least he's an equal opportunity boor and asshole.”

No he’s not—not even close.

If you’ve seen the movie, his takedown of Islam is much less strident; same on his show.

I don’t necessarily fault him. It’s more difficult to be brave in your criticism if your target has a reputation for savage reprisal.

furious_a said...

"You are a...

...Jew/Copt/Maronite/Bahai'i/Dinka/Ibo/Dayak/Shi'a/Sufi, and you've got a problem."

gk1 said...

I think we will find out this is much like the Danish cartoon flap where there are clerics and other islamic poobahs fanning the flames and shopping the film around to already aggreived groups for maximum effect. Why the obama crew wants to bend down and kiss their ass repeatedly is troubling.

The Crack Emcee said...

pm317,

I dare Bill Maher to make a movie on Islam.

Damn, but you guys think you're smart with that comment.

Are you going to tell me you're not aware of Bill Maher's many years of mocking Islam?

You're simply stupid.

I dare YOU to try to get NewAge out of our society, and see what kind of backlash you face, tough guy. You'll not only have Bill Maher on your ass (because he "believes" in NewAge quackery) but Oprah, and Obama, and every Whole Foods shopper, Hollywood, Scientology, plus the newspapers and environmentalists and feminists and everyone else on your ass.

You guys don't understand the first thing about the issue, but you think you're brave fighting a bunch of ignorant Islamists because they're violent. Listen:

I grew up around violent people - big deal - you kill them and the problem stops.

But NewAge is in YOUR bones.

How are you going to deal with THAT?

furious_a said...

Garage: That clip is from his film Religulous.

No wonder nobody's seen or heard those comments.

The Crack Emcee said...

Oh - and your precious Mormons will be with them, too.

Good luck, genius.

furious_a said...

Garage: That clip is from his film Religulous.

No wonder nobody's familiar with those comments.

Religulous was a film that was seen in American theaters.

"seen" is a generous way of putting it, it was certainly "shown".

pm317 said...

Are you going to tell me you're not aware of Bill Maher's many years of mocking Islam? .

He must not have done a great job because the Muslims are not going after him. If he did, I wonder why they are sparing him.

As to the rest of your comment, I don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Shouting Thomas said...

I grew up around violent people - big deal - you kill them and the problem stops.

Crack, my late wife also grew up in an atmosphere of violence that was so crazy I initially had trouble believing she was telling me the truth.

There is something very fundamental to human nature in that world of violence. It's important to understand that.

Love can conquer this, Crack. I've seen it. I saw it in the transformation of my wife. Having somebody love here was all she needed to step outside of the world of violence.

There is another world outside of that world of crazy violence, but it's hard to see when you're in the middle of the violence.

wef said...

Muslim Sensitivity Training in South Park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNtDrUhcKyQ

Maher's offensive offensiveness to those who have had muslim sensitivity training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmizyHFabqQ

jr565 said...

Garage, How is Bill Maher's critique of Islam all that critical. He doesn't really SAY anything negative about Islam and in particular nothing particular about Mohammad.
It's more a question of why can the various religions not get along not really an attempt to refute the religion.
Nowhere do I hear Maher go up to a Muslim and say "You know, Mohammad was a pedophile and a murderer and a con man" the way Crack goes after Mormons and Joseph Smith.

And why not?

I saw another of his bits where he said that some values are better than others. How we treat our women versus how they treat their women is BETTER (and good for him for saying that). However, that again is talking about values and is not an refutation of Mohammad per se.
But lets see Maher take a Koran and throw it in a toilet or a bucket of piss, or say that Mohammad screwed little girls. ANd then see the reaction.

LarsPorsena said...

"..They could take a lesson from the Muslims who live (and by and large) thrive in India (no, don't start talking about Kashmir -- there are 100s of millions who live and prosper along side Hindus all over India). It makes me laugh that no one gives India and its Muslim population(which is close to majority in the world) their due for leading a peaceful and productive life, by and large. .."
---------
Bullshit..In India if the Moslems kill 10 Hindus, the Hindus kill 20 Moslems. If Moslems torch a temple, the Hindus torch a mosque.
The 'self-esteem' you prattle about is fear. It's mutually assured terror that insures the peace.

jr565 said...

Crack wrote:
I dare YOU to try to get NewAge out of our society, and see what kind of backlash you face, tough guy. You'll not only have Bill Maher on your ass (because he "believes" in NewAge quackery) but Oprah, and Obama, and every Whole Foods shopper, Hollywood, Scientology, plus the newspapers and environmentalists and feminists and everyone else on your ass.

You guys don't understand the first thing about the issue, but you think you're brave fighting a bunch of ignorant Islamists because they're violent. Listen:

I grew up around violent people - big deal - you kill them and the problem stops.

But NewAge is in YOUR bones.

How are you going to deal with THAT?


But Islam isn't in the bones of those jihadists who would attack an embassy.
And how do you propose to try to get New Age out of our society. Since we have a free society I'd imagine you'd face a lot of backlash if you tried to do so. I don't even see how you could. What are you going to do, jail anyone who believes in Reiki or scientology? Or if they attend a Tony Robbins class? Or are you goning to jail Depack Chopra for writing a book? He's allowed to believe in stupid things Crack. As is everyone else. And he's allowed to write books about it, and people are allowed to read said books.
THat doesn't mean you can't critize New Age. That doesn't mean you have to become New Age. But so long as their are people to believe, there will be people who believe things that you may not agree with.

jr565 said...

Should we give new agers shock treatment until they stop believing in Karma for example?

The Crack Emcee said...

pm317,

He must not have done a great job because the Muslims are not going after him. If he did, I wonder why they are sparing him.

What do you mean, "if he did"? do you not know how Google works?

And the reason he got away with it is for the same reason so few of you criticize Ann when she fucks up:

The Big Cheese gets the best seat in the restaurant, people protect them, they pay lower taxes, get offers of sex, you name it.

Hell, Glenn Reynolds can be wrong EVERY DAY but he's got so many idiots sucking his dick his hashtag is now #Reynolds2016. What does that tell you?

It tells me, in a society where PERSONALITIES rule the roost - rather than THE WEIGHING OF IDEAS - you can do almost anything and get away with it.

Moose,

People that try to use "logic" to define God assume that their minds can encompass what God is.

That's the dumbest shit I've read all morning,...

pm317 said...

LarsPorsena said...

What you scoff as fear is what is called restraint in a civilized world, in a mixed society where you have to live by certain rules and not let your wild imagination take violent root. Sure, majority will have its advantages but you also look at how the minority is given a fair shake. I gave you a piece of evidence in my comment about how the minority feels and you ignore it with your superficial assessment. There are many Muslims in all walks of life in India who have done well and are role models to the majority in their community: corporate (WiPro CEO), politics, sports, films, music..

The Crack Emcee said...

jr565,

Should we give new agers shock treatment until they stop believing in Karma for example?

No, our SOCIETY should be giving them the same thing the Scientologists are getting now:

An anal probe.

jr565 said...

Crack wrote:
No, our SOCIETY should be giving them the same thing the Scientologists are getting now:

An anal probe.


We have skeptics of everything. That usually doen'st mean that people stop believing. Almost always, they have to come to that realization on their own. Not be forced into lack of belief. If you throw skepticism in their face, and they don't accept your skepticism, what else can you do?

LarsPorsena said...

pm317

"Six killed during protest against desecration of holy book in Ghaziabad"

Ashish Tripathi | 51 min ago

Times of India

Read the whole article and especially the comments at the end.
Then tell me about 'superficial' assessments. In your case wishful thinking.

Alex said...

Oh - and your precious Mormons will be with them, too.

And finally the face of utter hateful bigotry makes it's appearance!

Alex said...

next thing Crack will be advocating death camps for Mormons.

The Crack Emcee said...

jr565,

We have skeptics of everything. That usually doen'st mean that people stop believing. Almost always, they have to come to that realization on their own. Not be forced into lack of belief. If you throw skepticism in their face, and they don't accept your skepticism, what else can you do?

Then why is it, now that Scientoloy's secrets are out and pressure is being applied in a multitude of ways - magazine articles, books, movies - the "church" is losing followers in droves?

Why are the ex-Scientologists even helping to dismantle it?

Because you don't know what you're talking about, that's why,...

Broomhandle said...

Crack,
The #Reynolds2016 tag is so obviously meant to be a jest that it makes me seriously question your intelligence. In many ways you're just as clueless and irony impaired as any goose-stepping cultist.

The Crack Emcee said...

Alex,

next thing Crack will be advocating death camps for Mormons.

Oh, you're always such a liar:

I say the same thing should be happening to them that's happening to Scientology:

Open it up and let everyone have a look at what our next president endorses - before we elect him (and them) to power.

Let the American people understand Mormonism's occult roots. It's whole star-based cosmology - both of which will rip the whole "we're Christians" bullshit apart.

Let them understand the Mormons own Staples, and Burger King, and Las Vegas, all the rest. (What "church" works with the Mafia - when they didn't have to?)

Let America see the whole thing and then decide if it's what they want to run the country.

That's called PROTECTING YOUR COUNTRY by being honest.

None of this pull-the-wool-over-their-eyes shit you guys are hoping to pull off - and thinking you're smart if you make it,...

Alex said...

Crack - you dehumanize Mormons the same way the KKK dehumanized blacks. You are the KKK.

jr565 said...

Crack wrote:
Then why is it, now that Scientoloy's secrets are out and pressure is being applied in a multitude of ways - magazine articles, books, movies - the "church" is losing followers in droves?

Why are the ex-Scientologists even helping to dismantle it?

Because you don't know what you're talking about, that's why,...

I said if they don't buy your skepticism then what are you going to do? You think that you are the first person to ever point out to a scientologist that L Ron Hubbard is making it up as he goes along?
In the very trailer of the movie one of the character says "You know he's making it up as he goes along, don't you?" or something to that effect.
So, if someone presents you with the case that scientology is bullshit, for a believer, that may not be enough. And if you say, scientology is bullshit and they respond, no your critique of scientology is bullshit, well then what else is there to do?
Again, people have to come to this realization on their own. Many people have, but you can't force people to that conclusion.
I'd like to see the stats on the number of people that scientology is in fact losing. But even if it is droves of people, there will still be droves of people that keep the faith. Despite being told that scientology is bullshit.
You've just presented the case, and they didn't want to hear it. What then?

The Crack Emcee said...

Broomhandle,

Crack,
The #Reynolds2016 tag is so obviously meant to be a jest that it makes me seriously question your intelligence. In many ways you're just as clueless and irony impaired as any goose-stepping cultist.


And your proof of this is what? Nothing. It's merely an assumption you've made, and run with, and are now using to attack me.

I hardly care that it's a joke (if it is) because the man is still incapable of admitting where he leads his readers wrong - that's my beef with him.

You guys attack me for the Cult Of One attitude - which I deny and no one can prove - but you say nothing about the "Blogfather" with his carefully cultivate collection of so-called "thinkers" who self-reinforce a lopsided agenda that includes such wackjobs as Mia Love. Look at the comments on my blog:

I don't cultivate "yes men" and wouldn't want to - that's not how anybody gets smarter.

I like Lincoln's approach:

Find smart people and battle out ideas - based on the ideas.

Nobody has to agree with me, just be the type of person who understands it's not some deflating ego trip if you're wrong - or if I am.

We're supposed to be taking control of our country and culture and making it better:

Not trying to be ruler of the roost.

pm317 said...

LarsPorsena said...
---------

You can disparage all you want. My wishful thinking makes for a better world for both Muslims and Hindus and others and I know many Muslims in India join me in making my wish come true. Do you know how many Muslims are in India? You can cite all protests you want. But do you know what will happen if the same violent events happening elsewhere took hold in India to the same extent, proportionally? There is a reason that it is not taking place to the same proportion in India. For that you have to give credit to both everyday Muslims and Hindus (not politicians, not street thugs, er, community organizers) there.

It all comes down to who the society at large rewards. A law abiding, intelligent Muslim can take advantage of all the freedoms available in India and make something of himself (like here in the US) or he can go the way of Muslims we are seeing on TV right now. Which path have the majority Muslims in India chosen? What do you think? If they are all cowering leading their lives shivering in their caves, you are mistaken.

jr565 said...

Crack Emcee wrote:
I say the same thing should be happening to them that's happening to Scientology:

Open it up and let everyone have a look at what our next president endorses - before we elect him (and them) to power.

Let the American people understand Mormonism's occult roots. It's whole star-based cosmology - both of which will rip the whole "we're Christians" bullshit apart.

Let them understand the Mormons own Staples, and Burger King, and Las Vegas, all the rest. (What "church" works with the Mafia - when they didn't have to?)

Let America see the whole thing and then decide if it's what they want to run the country.

That's called PROTECTING YOUR COUNTRY by being honest.

But why not hold Christians and Muslims and Buddhists to the same standard. Many of the SUpreme Court are members of the catholic faith. Should we not open up the catholic faith and make all catholics answer for the absurdities found in catholicism before we give them the ability to decide case law?
And why, for you a professed atheist, is Mormonisms absurdity somehow more absurd than christianity's absurdity?

kentuckyliz said...

Avalanche of Mohammed-mocking cartoons, art, and movies. Let's bury their asses in fatwas. They can't kill hundreds of millions of us.

kentuckyliz said...

Let's make them so mad that they riot and burn their entire freakin' shithole country down. Let them keep fighting and firing weapons until the accidental kills from friendly fire kills them all. Let's stoke their anger until they blow themselves up.

The Crack Emcee said...

jr565,

But why not hold Christians and Muslims and Buddhists to the same standard.

Why do you keep going over the same well-trod ground? How many times have you accused me of letting someone off the hook, only to have me link to posts I've done on EVERYTHING?

Jesus, jr, either act like you're capable of retaining information or leave me alone.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself for you,...

The Crack Emcee said...

kentuckyliz,

Avalanche of Mohammed-mocking cartoons, art, and movies. Let's bury their asses in fatwas. They can't kill hundreds of millions of us.

Exactly.

But we're too pussy.

NewAgers are so much better at attacking lone individuals.

That's thier idea of bravery,...

jr565 said...

Crack Emcee wrote:
Why do you keep going over the same well-trod ground? How many times have you accused me of letting someone off the hook, only to have me link to posts I've done on EVERYTHING?

Jesus, jr, either act like you're capable of retaining information or leave me alone.

Because you're not and NO ONE is holding Christians to the standard you want to apply for Mormons. When has a presidential candidate ever have to answer for why he believes such stupid things in his religion? When has a christian candidate been asked to defend whether he really believes that Noah got two of every animal on his ark and how is that scientifically possible etc?
And your argument against Mormonism and how it's not real christianity strikes me as something an evangelical would argue, not an atheist. To an atheist, star based cosmology is as absurd as the idea that there is a man in the sky judging our sins. And yet, we have people who believe in God able to serve in office. Shouldn't they have to answer for their beliefs as much as Mormons?

jr565 said...

Crack Emcee wrote:
NewAgers are so much better at attacking lone individuals.

When you say New Agers who are you referring to here? I would think that it's almost always eaasie attacking lone individuals simply because they are lone individuals (and the animal kingdom uses this as their hunting method all the time). But it isn't a trait specific to New Agers alone.

Dante said...

He was raised in his Irish American father's Catholic religion (wikipedia)

I supposed Maher is reformed. And we all know there is nothing more religiously intolerant than a reformed person.

(Note, Science does not claim "truth," only models of the truth. I suppose Maher has his own vision of truth. I wonder if it includes marriage?)

jr565 said...

How is Mia Love a whack job?

Dante said...

Crack:

Most of the stuff you mentioned I agree is pretty stupid, but I do have some sympathy for the thinking behind this view:

MAHER: That went better in rehearsal but it was still good. Absolutely, no the defense against disease is to have a strong immune system. A flu shot just compromises your immune system.

At least in children. It's pretty well established that the Amish tend to have fewer allergies, asthma, etc., than the real population, and the thought is they were exposed to raw cow's milk as children.

Other than that, the thought about not getting flu shots is stupid, of course. As if the flu in 1918 didn't happen. As well as all this anti-vaccine stuff.

I wonder what Maher is going to do if he comes down with the plague. Take the 30% chance of death? Somehow, I think he will change his mind.

The Crack Emcee said...

jr565,

Because you're not and NO ONE is holding Christians to the standard you want to apply for Mormons. When has a presidential candidate ever have to answer for why he believes such stupid things in his religion?

See, you're doing it again:

Haven't we already been over the difference between Joseph Smith in the 19th century vs. Jesus 2,000 years ago?

Stop it, jr.

The Crack Emcee said...

BTW, jr - just to show you how off-base you are - you actually made that statement on a post that features the film where Bill Maher gets a Senator to look stupid for "believing in a talking snake."

You're just reacting, not thinking,...

harrogate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
harrogate said...

People on this thread who are implying that Maher lacks the courage to criticize Islam are really falling into that classic, often-false-but-not-always-false binary, of either being ignorant or lying through their big fat teeth.

Religulous itself slams as hard on Islam as on any major religion. He is an equal opportunity basher of religious dogma and especially the notion that states be run according to religulous principles.

If you don't like Maher because he leans left on a lot of issues or because he despised Bush, fine, whatever. But stop it with the "nobody criticizes Islam" whine. Jesus Christ and Muhammad and Joseph Smith, but if you read this thread without any knowledge of the commenters other than this, you'd have no choice bu to think there are some dumb motherfuckers playing that one-chord whine, all this time later.

Religulous is a fantastic movie, btw, on the level of production value, for its comedic effect, and for its pop-intellectual bravado.

Last night Maher both celebrated that there are demonstraters in Libya condemning the murders, AND made fun of all the ways in which some other media outlets are playing up those signs as if they are the very manna from Heaven. It was smashingly effective.

One thing conspicuously missing from the "great" religions and certainly missing from the Middle East? Any sense of humor whatsoever.

Broomhandle said...

Crack,
Re Reynolds, I don't attack him because I recognize that it's just a blog. If he posts something I don't agree with I shake my head and move on. Doesn't happen very often but when it does I don't feel like he's trying to rewrite the Sermon on the Mount. It's the friggin' Internet, for crying' out loud! 99% of it is wind from a monkey's backside. If you don't keep a sense of perspective you end up as a self-parodying clown like Ritmo or Shiloh. I guess the reason I sometimes challenge your posts is because I'm surprised that a worldly dude like yourself doesn't recognize that.

Dante said...

Let's make them so mad that they riot and burn their entire freakin' shithole country down. Let them keep fighting and firing weapons until the accidental kills from friendly fire kills them all. Let's stoke their anger until they blow themselves up.

Let's get our OWN oil supplies going. That means building pipelines, going after shale oil (oops, that's a bad word, what do they call it now? tar sands?) Or methane or whatever works (don't tell me it's solar powered cars, please).

Then let the Chinese have it. They will do a better job managing the ME.

Alex said...

Did Maher talk bout the Israel & American flags being burnt outside the American embassy in London?

Alex said...

harrogate - I'll believe Maher is serious about attacking Islam when he puts the same amount of sheer snark and vitriol he reserves for Christianity.

Q said...

I dare Bill Maher to make a movie on Islam.


I'd be willing to accept baby steps from the guy. Let's see him do a film mocking Judaism first. If he survives that (very unlikely) then he could move up to a film mocking Islam.

It's almost as if it's not religion which is these guys problem - it's one particular religion.

Scott Wilcox said...

It seems to me that even the most devoted Liberal Koolaid drinker must see that as an absolute attack on the Constitutional rights of an ordinary citizen, which should be spoken out against. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit

Richard said...

Folks, these riots/killings are not about that movie. That's an Obama administration narrative latched onto by the media to protect Obama. It fascinates me that all of you above commenters fell for it. You folks seem a lot smarter than that.

Chris Arsenault said...

I dare Bill Maher to get nailed to a cross, forgive his killers and when he dies, to rise again on the third day.

Michael K said...

"They could take a lesson from the Muslims who live (and by and large) thrive in India (no, don't start talking about Kashmir -- there are 100s of millions who live and prosper along side Hindus all over India)."

The Muslims of India are the poorest and most backward segment of that population. The last residue of polio in the world, for example, is among the Muslims of Uttar Pradesh because the women have been told that the vaccine will make them sterile.

Still they are in far better circumstances than Pakistan.

harrogate said...

Some of you are doubling down on ignorance. On Althouse comment boards this phenomenon also often goes by the name of "commenting."

But anyway, for those who bothered to watch, in Religulous he mocked unsparingly: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Mormonism, among others.

He did not limit his attacks to various facets of American religious institutions--though he did go there, with aplomb. He pointed to the obsessions in the Middle East over "Holy Lands" and invited right thinking people to observe the ridiculousness of these obsessions and blood shed in their name.

It's a good, well put-together film. And Bill Maher has his share of flaws, but fear of mocking Islam is not on the list. But, y'all don't want to see that because it doesn't fall into your little bullshit narratives about media in America.

jr565 said...

harrogate wrote:
It's a good, well put-together film. And Bill Maher has his share of flaws, but fear of mocking Islam is not on the list. But, y'all don't want to see that because it doesn't fall into your little bullshit narratives about media in America.

Maher chooses largely secular muslims in largely secular places where asking them questions will not likely elicit the response of a jihadist. And his questions are largely benign. He lets them answer, but then does not really question their responses with any degree of forcefulness.
For example he says "the koran seems to say hate the unbeliever" and the Muslim says "No" and he says "It doesnt say that? Well then I must have my facts wrong"(sarcastically) and the Muslim says "Yes". Meanwhile, if you watch his standup he openly mocks things like Noah taking animals onto an Ark. If Maher were truly an equal opportunity offender he would tell the muslim "no, your koran says here and here and here death to the Infidel.
He shows that the person making the statements are silly, but he is very careful not to antagonize those he's interviewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WjqXt_wRkS8

In fact the only time he says what he really thinks is when he's alone in a car or a truck with what appears to be his cameraman (and even there it's a pretty tepid indictment)

Lets have him interview a jihadist, and be sure to openly mock his beliefs the way he has no problem mocking christian beliefs.

Synova said...

"Religulous itself slams as hard on Islam as on any major religion. He is an equal opportunity basher of religious dogma and especially the notion that states be run according to religulous principles."

So... when the Arab Street starts killing people over it... is Bill Maher going to be invited down to the police precinct to answer questions?

Is the recipient of his million dollar campaign donation going to ask him to "take down" the movie?

ThomasD said...

What I want to know is why US President Barack Obama, 'the most powerful man on the planet' exerts less control over events in the Middle East than a freaking youtube video?

I mean, is that pathetic and ineffectual or what?

Alex said...

harrogate represents the typical liberal. Self appointed guardian of "The Truth", he's here to save our ignorant redneck souls from the fiery pits of hell.

David said...

When you voted for Obama, did you really expect him to support free speech?
If so, your ability to think critically is suspect.

furious_a said...

Crack: And your proof of this is what? Nothing. It's merely an assumption you've made, and run with, and are now using to attack me.

The #Reynolds2016 platform of equipping the embassies with flamethrowers would be a hint to the less-dense.

harrogate said...

Synova,

Oh, I apologize if I somehow implied that I supported any American being taken down to the "precinct" for making a movie.

Oh that's right. I didn't. If you don't care about the point I made, that's fine, who gives a rat's ass. But a less charitable soul might think you really are so foolish as to believe that your comment was some sort of real rejoinder to what I wrote. I, however, will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I also love all these "well why doesn't he interview jihadists then?" I mean, you're just blogging up the idiocy, all this "I'm making a point" postering while spouting bullshit.

It is not Bill Maher's job to please a bunch of right wingers in America. He thinks that the religions are stupid and he says so. Also, reasonable people will understand why the "ratio" of his comments on religion tends towards making fun of Christianity and Christians. Since these are the people all around him, that go on his show and make a case for Christianity or who whine about him on blogs and on other television shows. And, oh yeah: many of the politicians and movements in the US use Christianity as a banner for advancing policies he despises.

All that said. Bill Maher has been more critical, more effectively, and far more publicly, of crazy ass Islamists, than any of you freakazoid droolers that are drooleringly judging him.

A tip: Drool like Alex, if you must drool. He drools the best.

Taqiyyotomist said...

Crack, I wish I could buy you a beer.

No question, hands down, my favorite Althouse commenter (cults of personality, much? Not really. I'd just dig buying you a beer and chatting -- not going to polish your shoes -- although my Christian faith says that I should wash your feet? Ah, man.)

As usual: absolutely brutal truth in this thread to the blistering degree Ann Barnhardt or Mychal Massie present it.

I need to read your blog more frequently.

harrogate said...

He's been much more critical, more publicly, and more effecitvely of crazy-ass Islamists, for instance, than Ann Althouse, for all her mighty web traffic and all her vast stores of cultural capital. By a country mile. Often to his own detriment, he has stood for freedom, the thing you all bleat about but on balance, don't seem to much care about.

Brad said...

Maher is a bitter, angry man who suffers from a superiority complex.

harrogate said...

Brad, I'll buy some of that argument. Maher *does* strike me as something of a narcissist. That quality, of course, infects the believers and nonbelievers alike.

But though you may have puffed your chest a bit and thought you just said something relevant, the things I have pointed out about Maher's rhetoric are not thereby rendered any less obviously real, by him being an asshole.

The Crack Emcee said...

Taqiyyotomist,

Crack, I wish I could buy you a beer.

No question, hands down, my favorite Althouse commenter (cults of personality, much? Not really. I'd just dig buying you a beer and chatting -- not going to polish your shoes -- although my Christian faith says that I should wash your feet? Ah, man.)

As usual: absolutely brutal truth in this thread to the blistering degree Ann Barnhardt or Mychal Massie present it.

I need to read your blog more frequently.


Thanks! Do you live in anywhere near Utah? I'm hardly shy, and a LOT more agreeable in person:

It all comes across as more gruff online...

The Crack Emcee said...

furious_a,

The #Reynolds2016 platform of equipping the embassies with flamethrowers would be a hint to the less-dense.

You can't be right about that because it was one of the few ideas he's ever had that sounded *perfectly logical* to me.

FLAME-ON!

The Crack Emcee said...

Chris Arsenault,

I dare Bill Maher to get nailed to a cross, forgive his killers,...

I don't think Bill Maher's that stupid,....

yashu said...

I agree with harrogate to the extent that I think it's kind of irrelevant and a red herring to complain that Maher doesn't criticizie Islam enough. (Among contemporary cultural figures, Maher has criticized Islam more than most.)

It reminds me of commenters who complain when Althouse doesn't address X, Y, and Z. Well, it's her blog (and it's Maher's show/ movie/ whatever), he can criticize and focus on whatever the hell he wants.

IMO the more relevant and powerful point to make re Maher's hypocrisy is not about his criticism of Islam relative to Christianity, but rather his criticism (or absence of) toward the Obama adminstration (relative e.g. to the Bush administration) re free speech.

In other words: in a way, it's irrelevant to complain that any individual chooses to criticize X instead of Y (that's part of free speech, and Maher has an easy comeback, e.g. Christianity is more relevant to domestic American politics than Islam). But insofar as they presume to be defenders of free speech per se, the fact that Maher made a big deal about e.g. Ari Fleischer's mild comments recommending that people be "careful" about what they say, and his silence (or spin) re the present administration's response to recent events-- *that* is damning.

The Crack Emcee said...

Broomhandle,

Crack,
Re Reynolds, I don't attack him because I recognize that it's just a blog.


Is not - I've had several Instalaunches - "it's just a blog" that reaches millions of readers a day.

You might as well think of him as a radio or small TV station.

This ain't just tiddley winks we're doing here, chumpy,...

rubymudpuppy said...

Bill Maher is a piece of shits. He isn't that unique. He is just a typical batshit liberal.

Bill Maher is obsessive with accusing republican and conservatives as racists.

This link is the proof. It isn't first time he tried to accuse republican and conservatives as racists.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/16/bill-maher-finds-six-black-men-to-deem-matt-drudge-racist-video/

Chris Arsenault said...

The Crack Emcee said: I don't think Bill Maher's that stupid,....

What?! Bill Maher is not God?

Funny, I get the impression he thinks he is.

The Crack Emcee said...

Chris Arsenault,

What?! Bill Maher is not God?

Funny, I get the impression he thinks he is.


You also think he's as stupid as Jesus, so I'm not surprised you're prone to mistakes,...

Patriot4Freedom said...

If Bill Maher wants to hold himself out as someone who "values and defends freedom", then he needs to speak out vehemently against the unconstitutional treatment of this filmmaker.

If he doesn't - then he will have proven himself to be the craven partisan that many of us have always seen him to be.

Chris Arsenault said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Arsenault said...

The Crack Emcee said: You also think he's as stupid as Jesus, so I'm not surprised you're prone to mistakes,...

Crack - you're demonstrating the real battle is spiritual. Here's some light Sunday reading for you: Matthew 5:43-48.

The Quran has nothing like it. As for your insulting me - Matthew 5:11-12.

My initial point is about principles. Your freedom of speech comes from a Western civilization built upon the Bible, not the Quran, or any other spiritual compendium.

There really are only two worldviews - Do unto others... and might makes right. The former provides grace and mercy, substitution and forgiveness while the latter brutal punishment and domination. The hypocrisy comes in when people insist on benefitting from the latter, then running back to the former when someone more powerful than them comes along. Christ flipped the outcome of a "might makes right" worldview by putting "do unto others..." into the center of his persecution - "Father forgive them..."

So you, Bill Maher and others can insult Jesus all you want - it's not new, hip or snarky, and it doesn't change a thing, except maybe others opinion of you.

Rusty said...

harrogate said...


It's a good, well put-together film. And Bill Maher has his share of flaws, but fear of mocking Islam is not on the list. But, y'all don't want to see that because it doesn't fall into your little bullshit narratives about media in America.


I didn't think so.
Now,"Dogma"
THAT was a good film.