May 21, 2012

"Don't get too excited, Meade. It will be this kind of kiss."

I wrote in September 2008 (before I'd met Meade in person) in the comments to a post based on the NYT headline "Obama to Dispatch Female Surrogates," which I'd said "put a picture in my head of Obama releasing an army of programmed fembots." That was some crazy "war on women" the last time around.

I love running across old byplay between me and Meade. And I also love running across these old political things that bear some relationship to what's happening today. But the women stuff was much more fascinating back then, when Obama had crushed women's dreams of the first woman President and McCain had released The Palin.
The new headline, "Obama Camp Turns to Clinton to Counter Palin," flips the image. It's not Obama, but the Obama camp -- a large, faceless group -- and now it's not a large, faceless group of women, but one particular woman, Hillary. Don't pin anything directly on Obama, and don't disrespect women by portraying them as nonindividuals.
Can you guess what got me to that old post? I'd searched my blog for the word "faceless" — trying to get to this blog post I'd written a week or so ago about the 3 times Obama called people "faceless" in "Dreams From My Father." That post followed on an inquiry into the story (from Obama's book) about how, as a boy, he'd shouted at and shoved a little girl.

There were faces then — big faces. Hillary. Sarah.



They used to be big. It's the politics that got small.

10 comments:

ndspinelli said...

One of my favorite movie scenes. It makes for great analogies.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

It's tempting to think of Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart as small faces but that would be incorrect.

viator said...

Well, Palin's face seems to going strong:

Palin, "no make-up"

Hillary is reverting to her 70s look:

Hillary, recent

edutcher said...

As for fembots, one need look no farther than Hilary Rosen or Ms Fluck.

PS That must have been some kiss. Meade's still walking a few inches off the ground.

PPS Mrs Palin is probably the most beautiful woman in public life right now.

As for poor Hillary, I think anybody who wants to think she really wants to be Zero's new Veep needs to read a little Freud.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

They used to be big. It's the politics that got small.

KCFleming said...

Release the flying harpies!!

firstHat said...

Which brings to mind the total non sequitur, Till We Have Faces

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

David R. Graham said...

"Don't get too excited, Meade. It will be this kind of kiss.

Ha ha, you thought it was going to be a picture of Sarah Palin blowing a kiss from the stage at the convention, didn't you?"

Flirting online with commenter, already wanting to meet him in person. Love and smoke cannot conceal themselves. Sweet.

David R. Graham said...

"Gennifer Flower lipstick-on-a-pitbull kiss... Sarah Palin blown-air kiss... Althouse pity kiss...

Darlin, believe me - these days I'll take whatever good thing comes along."

Flirting right back.

David R. Graham said...

The idea is, a man pursues and convinces or, in the old language, conquers/ravishes a woman. Hunter after quarry. The truth is, a woman throws herself at a man she estimates. Devotee after lord.