October 22, 2006

Audible Althouse #70.

It's a new Audible Althouse. With porcupines, cactuses, sharpened daggers, and poison pens.

Books referred to:
Jack Handey, "Lost Deep Thoughts: Don't Fight the Deepness"

D. H. Lawrence, "Reflections on the Death of a Porcupine and Other Essays"

Jill Krementz, "The Writer's Desk"

Martin Amis, "Koba the Dread: Laughter and the Twenty Million"

And that plant I mentioned: hens-and-chickens.

Stream it right through your computer here. But all acutely incisive sharp people subscribe on iTunes:
Ann Althouse - Audible Althouse

2 comments:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Succulent!

Johnny Nucleo said...

I had no idea what a merkin was! That makes perfect sense! But now I feel dumb, because all this time I didn't really get the joke.

It's interesting that there were so many comments to the post making fun of Glenn Greenwald's bad writing. Of course a lot of them were trolls. But I think they genuinely had no idea what you were talking about. I think they are suffering from Blog Derangement Sydrome.

Most popular blogs are political and are produced by political obsessives who don't know shit about the craft of writing. Their readers like red meat and don't care if it's raw.

I thought the D.H. Lawrence excerpt was way overwritten. But I will concede that I am probably wrong and probably only think that because I am a postmodern hipster. On the other hand, the Amis excerpt was very nice.